CERN Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Interviews at CERN

2.8

Sort:

Technical Student Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at CERN in January 2009.

Interview

I applied for technical student position. After initial submit I was contacted after 1-2 months. I got only 2 phone interviews with very friendly guy. He was curious about my skills and work experience I did during my university. The whole phone call was not longer than 30 min. The guy described me the work I should do and we checked once more the start date.

Interview Questions

• I didn't find it hard. Maybe I've got enough experience for this level.   Answer Question

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at CERN in June 2010.

Interview

organization and planning of the interview were good. The advice for you is be inovative, make a cool presentation try not to be standart

Lawyer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Geneva (Switzerland)

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at CERN (Geneva (Switzerland)).

Interview

First, you have to fill out a very long application with many questions on competencies etc. then assuming HR like what they see, you get invited to a video interview which you can do in your own time. After that it is HR and the hiring manager who look at your interview. If they like you, then there was an on-site interview.

Interview Questions

• Why CERN? Why this role? What can you bring to this role?   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Geneva (Switzerland)

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at CERN (Geneva (Switzerland)) in May 2015.

Interview

I applied online and a recruiter contacted me soon afterwards. The first interview is done online: you have to record yourself answering 5 questions, mostly about yourself and your experience, but without an interviewer, which makes it quite weird. I was contacted a week after and invited to Geneva for the onsite interview. Even though I was told that the interview was going to last all day including lunch with the team, they were busy that day so I only did a short interview of about an hour with 5 engineers. The first 15 minutes I had to present a project that I had developed in the past and that was related to the position. After that they asked me a few technical questions, with a high focus on databases. Also, both the LHC and the museum were closed that day so there wasn't much to see around. I was contacted by the recruiter a couple days later saying that they were looking someone with more experience but that I should definitely try again in the future. Even though I was a little bit disappointed with the interview day everybody was really nice throughout the process and it was really fast.

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Geneva (Switzerland)

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at CERN (Geneva (Switzerland)) in October 2018.

Interview

I am a software engineering fellow working at CERN, I see the internals. If I want to stay here longer I have to apply for another contract. I applied online 3 times to get a staff position. Stages differ, it could be an online test, screen interview or coding exercise with limited time (2 days to deliver solution). I never made to the final stage. Most of the processes were set up to support one/two candidates, originating from the section or group. I can accept that as a fact, the person working in a similar environment has the natural handicap. What I can't accept is when I apply using smart recruiters portal, my application hangs there for 3 weeks, nobody bothers even to open it (you get an automatic notification if that happens) - it has "new" status and suddenly one day you get the info you were not pre-selected for the next step. Nobody even opened the application. Is the process of recruitment at CERN set up to the point that the recruitment team does not bother to open applications?

Interview Questions

• Different Questions: coding game test if you get pre-selected, but sometimes they jump to an asynchronous web interview. Could be also task given to implement in 3-4 days and then someone reviews it.   Answer Question

CERN Response

Nov 25, 2018 – Head of recruitment

Thank you for your review regarding your interview for a staff position at CERN. Regarding the application process in SmartRecruiters, the 'New' status of candidate applications does not mean it has... More

Analytical Chemist Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at CERN.

Interview

I was invited to do the recorded video interview. It went smoothly, no technical problems and a lot of practice questions to practice in advance (which i strongly recommend).

Interview Questions

• -What are your biggest professional achievements?
      -tell us about a collaboration project you participated in.
      -which analytical method are you particularly fond of.   1 Answer

Mechanical Systems Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at CERN in July 2018.

Interview

video interview process about 25-30min overall
    automated video interview (no-one else in the call), questions pops up and you have 30sec-1min to think about it before answering in 1-2min on average

Interview Questions

• What are the standards to ensure protection against radiation?   Answer Question

Technology Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in Geneva (Switzerland)

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at CERN (Geneva (Switzerland)).

Interview

The interview lasts most of the day and they fly you out to Geneva for it. It is composed of a panel interview (my panel had 5 people including direct supervisor, technical expert, group & department heads and HR rep). You also have to give a presentation based on a topic given to you in advance. After this, I had a technical competence test (case study based on the type of work the role involved). I then went to lunch with the other candidates and recruiters before finishing the day with a series of smaller interviews with existing members of the team. Which order these elements occurs in just depends on how many other candidates are in your selection board and HR's scheduling - you may start with the test or with another element.

Interview Questions

• Give me an example of a time when a project did not go as planned? What did you do to successfully resolve it?   Answer Question

Systems Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Geneva (Switzerland)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at CERN (Geneva (Switzerland)) in November 2016.

Interview

First stage: Video Interview (real-time self-recording; 3 questions asked). About 90 seconds per question to answer.
    After 10 days received invitation to interview at CERN.
    Second stage: Interview at CERN. In the morning technical test (written, 30 questions) and Board Interview. In the afternoon meeting with people working in the group, informal talks about the job and my experience.

Interview Questions

• Test: Linux / Web / Java questions

Board: Behavioral and Service Management oriented questions   Answer Question

Firefighter Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Geneva (Switzerland)

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at CERN (Geneva (Switzerland)) in May 2017.

Interview

The interview process was such a great experience.
    All the candidates were treated equally and the atmosphere between us was very friendly. We encouraged each other. It was very well organised. They make you feel comfortable but they require high-level candidates at the same time. Therefore, there is no time to get relax.

Interview Questions

• There were 50 minutes of questions. Most were about my experience but others were a little bit tricky. A question I will never forget was; "Mention something your organisation have imposed and you have complained". That was a difficult one.   Answer Question