CERN Interview Questions | Glassdoor

CERN Interview Questions

Updated May 22, 2018

2.7

Technical Student Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at CERN in January 2009.

Interview

I applied for technical student position. After initial submit I was contacted after 1-2 months. I got only 2 phone interviews with very friendly guy. He was curious about my skills and work experience I did during my university. The whole phone call was not longer than 30 min. The guy described me the work I should do and we checked once more the start date.

Interview Questions

• I didn't find it hard. Maybe I've got enough experience for this level.   Answer Question

Engineering Interview

Anonymous Employee in Geneva (Switzerland)

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at CERN (Geneva (Switzerland)).

Interview

There are two rounds of online interviews and then an on-site interview. The online video interview is about answering pre-recorded questions; there is only one chance to answer. The on-site interview includes a written test and a presentation in front of a panel, where more general questions are asked.

Interview Questions

• A lot of very specialized technical questions related to the job position.   Answer Question

Technical Student Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 5+ months. I interviewed at CERN in May 2018.

Interview

1) Submitted an online form, the online form had many question but if you have applied previously all the data is saved except the job specific details.

2) Was invited for a Web Interview, hosted by SONRU. Really easy process and general questions.

Interview Questions

• What do you know about CERN?
      What kind of people do you like working with?
      Projects you are particularly proud of?   Answer Question

Project and Operations Technical Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Geneva (Switzerland)

Application

I applied online. The process took 6 weeks. I interviewed at CERN (Geneva (Switzerland)) in January 2018.

Interview

The whole process consisted of a five question application form, followed by a video interview, followed by an on-site panel interview with presentation. The interview day was actually very enjoyable; after the formal interview the candidates were invited to have lunch with the panel at a very nice on-site cafeteria. After lunch the members of the panel conducted a very engaging tour of the facility; a real highlight of the day. The HR staff were also very professional, knowledgeable and attentive. Ultimately I was unsuccessful, however the day was still particularly worthwhile.

Interview Questions

• Describe how your work history is relevant to the advertised post (this was the presentation question)   1 Answer

Technical Student Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at CERN.

Interview

After 3 months, I was contacted by a few different teams. We scheduled a convinient time for a Skype call. Every team had different approach to interview candidates. I applied for a position of the software developer. One interview was based on technical questions about a programming language and design patterns. Another one, invovled also a coding task online with time constraints. During each interview I was asked about my previous work experience and interests. Avarage time about 40 minutes.

Interview Questions

• Live coding - two different tasks that took me about 1,5 hour.   1 Answer

Knowledge Transfer Officer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at CERN in September 2017.

Interview

I applied online. Completed the questions and submitted the application online. It was a good process to look back at your career. I had trouble choosing one example. Got shortlisted to a video interview but did not get through to the final short list. You can check the total applicants for the role and status on each step of the process online - which was fantastic.
    The video interview is asynchronous - you have to talk to the camera yourself and answer the question, My problem was that when you stare at the camera for long, you loose your train of thought and then I fumbled the question ( at least thats the excuse I am telling myself on why i didnt get shortlisted)

Overall, liked the process and I would apply agian

Interview Questions

• How can CERN's technologies be used in Medical field?   1 Answer
    • What are the challenges for transferring technology from lab to market?   1 Answer

Finance Officer Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at CERN.

Interview

I applied online (very structured application form) and I have been invited to complete a video interview after 2/3 weeks the closing date. The video interview has been very appreciated, I was on holiday with extremely low broadband but SONRU technical support was very helpful.
    My opinion is that the video interview is extremely practical for many reasons, but at the same time you don't have the opportunity to integrate your answer with additional comments if you are not answering what the interviewer is looking for (during a traditional phone interview or a face to face interview there is the opportunity to "adjust" answers). In any case it has been a great chance.

Lawyer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Geneva (Switzerland)

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at CERN (Geneva (Switzerland)).

Interview

First, you have to fill out a very long application with many questions on competencies etc. then assuming HR like what they see, you get invited to a video interview which you can do in your own time. After that it is HR and the hiring manager who look at your interview. If they like you, then there was an on-site interview.

Interview Questions

• Why CERN? Why this role? What can you bring to this role?   Answer Question

Firefighter Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Geneva (Switzerland)

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at CERN (Geneva (Switzerland)) in May 2017.

Interview

The interview process was such a great experience.
    All the candidates were treated equally and the atmosphere between us was very friendly. We encouraged each other. It was very well organised. They make you feel comfortable but they require high-level candidates at the same time. Therefore, there is no time to get relax.

Interview Questions

• There were 50 minutes of questions. Most were about my experience but others were a little bit tricky. A question I will never forget was; "Mention something your organisation have imposed and you have complained". That was a difficult one.   Answer Question

Technical Student Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at CERN in May 2017.

Interview

The interviewer gave a phone call and asked me about my experience to assess whether I had the required knowledge for the needs of the specific area that I applied for. He was very kind and answered all of my questions. He expected to ask him many questions about the job.