CERN Interview Questions | Glassdoor

CERN Interview Questions

Updated Nov 13, 2017

2.7

Technical Student Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at CERN in January 2009.

Interview

I applied for technical student position. After initial submit I was contacted after 1-2 months. I got only 2 phone interviews with very friendly guy. He was curious about my skills and work experience I did during my university. The whole phone call was not longer than 30 min. The guy described me the work I should do and we checked once more the start date.

Interview Questions

• I didn't find it hard. Maybe I've got enough experience for this level.   Answer Question

Technical Student Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at CERN.

Interview

After 3 months, I was contacted by a few different teams. We scheduled a convinient time for a Skype call. Every team had different approach to interview candidates. I applied for a position of the software developer. One interview was based on technical questions about a programming language and design patterns. Another one, invovled also a coding task online with time constraints. During each interview I was asked about my previous work experience and interests. Avarage time about 40 minutes.

Interview Questions

• Live coding - two different tasks that took me about 1,5 hour.   1 Answer

Knowledge Transfer Officer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at CERN in September 2017.

Interview

I applied online. Completed the questions and submitted the application online. It was a good process to look back at your career. I had trouble choosing one example. Got shortlisted to a video interview but did not get through to the final short list. You can check the total applicants for the role and status on each step of the process online - which was fantastic.
    The video interview is asynchronous - you have to talk to the camera yourself and answer the question, My problem was that when you stare at the camera for long, you loose your train of thought and then I fumbled the question ( at least thats the excuse I am telling myself on why i didnt get shortlisted)

Overall, liked the process and I would apply agian

Interview Questions

• How can CERN's technologies be used in Medical field?   1 Answer
    • What are the challenges for transferring technology from lab to market?   1 Answer

Finance Officer Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at CERN.

Interview

I applied online (very structured application form) and I have been invited to complete a video interview after 2/3 weeks the closing date. The video interview has been very appreciated, I was on holiday with extremely low broadband but SONRU technical support was very helpful.
    My opinion is that the video interview is extremely practical for many reasons, but at the same time you don't have the opportunity to integrate your answer with additional comments if you are not answering what the interviewer is looking for (during a traditional phone interview or a face to face interview there is the opportunity to "adjust" answers). In any case it has been a great chance.

Lawyer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Geneva (Switzerland)

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at CERN (Geneva (Switzerland)).

Interview

First, you have to fill out a very long application with many questions on competencies etc. then assuming HR like what they see, you get invited to a video interview which you can do in your own time. After that it is HR and the hiring manager who look at your interview. If they like you, then there was an on-site interview.

Interview Questions

• Why CERN? Why this role? What can you bring to this role?   Answer Question

Firefighter Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Geneva (Switzerland)

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at CERN (Geneva (Switzerland)) in May 2017.

Interview

The interview process was such a great experience.
    All the candidates were treated equally and the atmosphere between us was very friendly. We encouraged each other. It was very well organised. They make you feel comfortable but they require high-level candidates at the same time. Therefore, there is no time to get relax.

Interview Questions

• There were 50 minutes of questions. Most were about my experience but others were a little bit tricky. A question I will never forget was; "Mention something your organisation have imposed and you have complained". That was a difficult one.   Answer Question

Technology Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in Geneva (Switzerland)

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at CERN (Geneva (Switzerland)).

Interview

The interview lasts most of the day and they fly you out to Geneva for it. It is composed of a panel interview (my panel had 5 people including direct supervisor, technical expert, group & department heads and HR rep). You also have to give a presentation based on a topic given to you in advance. After this, I had a technical competence test (case study based on the type of work the role involved). I then went to lunch with the other candidates and recruiters before finishing the day with a series of smaller interviews with existing members of the team. Which order these elements occurs in just depends on how many other candidates are in your selection board and HR's scheduling - you may start with the test or with another element.

Interview Questions

• Give me an example of a time when a project did not go as planned? What did you do to successfully resolve it?   Answer Question

Java and Database Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Geneva (Switzerland)

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at CERN (Geneva (Switzerland)) in March 2017.

Interview

* online test
    * video interview (recording your answers of written questions, bit weird but practical I guess)
    * on place interview - it was whole day, rather exhausting, but overall interesting experience. Take a watch with you since in my room there was no clock and during the case study written test, you are not allowed to have a phone with you. What I found redundant is the apart of the case study questions, there were other small things that they could have included in the online test.

Interview Questions

• To write more advanced SQL DB statement, for which you have to train well your SQL knowledge (don't rely only on your daily work - it won't be sufficient). There was a task to implement data structure in Java (from what I remember was BlockingQueue), for which I didn't have the time and a bunch of small other easy java related questions.   Answer Question

Control Room Operator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Geneva (Switzerland)

Application

I applied online. The process took 8 weeks. I interviewed at CERN (Geneva (Switzerland)) in February 2017.

Interview

The most professional interview experience I have had. No standard question which are not relevant at all. Probing questions trying to figure out as much as possible about my relevant experience to the job.

Scientific Software Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Geneva (Switzerland)

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at CERN (Geneva (Switzerland)) in January 2017.

Interview

I saw the opening on the cern.ch/jobs website. I applied using their online application process. I was contacted around 2 weeks later for an online interview. Following this I was invited for a face to face interview about 3 weeks after that. The interview was over around a 4 hour period, there were two mini interviews inside of which involving a general knowledge interview and a technical interview and a full panel interview. There were 2 other candidates. Overall a very positive experience.

Interview Questions

• There were too many questions to satisfactorily summarise   Answer Question