CERN Interview Questions | Glassdoor

CERN Interview Questions

Updated Sep 15, 2018

2.8

Technical Student Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at CERN in January 2009.

Interview

I applied for technical student position. After initial submit I was contacted after 1-2 months. I got only 2 phone interviews with very friendly guy. He was curious about my skills and work experience I did during my university. The whole phone call was not longer than 30 min. The guy described me the work I should do and we checked once more the start date.

Interview Questions

• I didn't find it hard. Maybe I've got enough experience for this level.   Answer Question

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at CERN in June 2010.

Interview

organization and planning of the interview were good. The advice for you is be inovative, make a cool presentation try not to be standart

Lawyer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Geneva (Switzerland)

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at CERN (Geneva (Switzerland)).

Interview

First, you have to fill out a very long application with many questions on competencies etc. then assuming HR like what they see, you get invited to a video interview which you can do in your own time. After that it is HR and the hiring manager who look at your interview. If they like you, then there was an on-site interview.

Interview Questions

• Why CERN? Why this role? What can you bring to this role?   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Geneva (Switzerland)

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at CERN (Geneva (Switzerland)) in May 2015.

Interview

I applied online and a recruiter contacted me soon afterwards. The first interview is done online: you have to record yourself answering 5 questions, mostly about yourself and your experience, but without an interviewer, which makes it quite weird. I was contacted a week after and invited to Geneva for the onsite interview. Even though I was told that the interview was going to last all day including lunch with the team, they were busy that day so I only did a short interview of about an hour with 5 engineers. The first 15 minutes I had to present a project that I had developed in the past and that was related to the position. After that they asked me a few technical questions, with a high focus on databases. Also, both the LHC and the museum were closed that day so there wasn't much to see around. I was contacted by the recruiter a couple days later saying that they were looking someone with more experience but that I should definitely try again in the future. Even though I was a little bit disappointed with the interview day everybody was really nice throughout the process and it was really fast.

Technology Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in Geneva (Switzerland)

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at CERN (Geneva (Switzerland)).

Interview

The interview lasts most of the day and they fly you out to Geneva for it. It is composed of a panel interview (my panel had 5 people including direct supervisor, technical expert, group & department heads and HR rep). You also have to give a presentation based on a topic given to you in advance. After this, I had a technical competence test (case study based on the type of work the role involved). I then went to lunch with the other candidates and recruiters before finishing the day with a series of smaller interviews with existing members of the team. Which order these elements occurs in just depends on how many other candidates are in your selection board and HR's scheduling - you may start with the test or with another element.

Interview Questions

• Give me an example of a time when a project did not go as planned? What did you do to successfully resolve it?   Answer Question

Systems Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Geneva (Switzerland)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at CERN (Geneva (Switzerland)) in November 2016.

Interview

First stage: Video Interview (real-time self-recording; 3 questions asked). About 90 seconds per question to answer.
    After 10 days received invitation to interview at CERN.
    Second stage: Interview at CERN. In the morning technical test (written, 30 questions) and Board Interview. In the afternoon meeting with people working in the group, informal talks about the job and my experience.

Interview Questions

• Test: Linux / Web / Java questions

Board: Behavioral and Service Management oriented questions   Answer Question

Firefighter Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Geneva (Switzerland)

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at CERN (Geneva (Switzerland)) in May 2017.

Interview

The interview process was such a great experience.
    All the candidates were treated equally and the atmosphere between us was very friendly. We encouraged each other. It was very well organised. They make you feel comfortable but they require high-level candidates at the same time. Therefore, there is no time to get relax.

Interview Questions

• There were 50 minutes of questions. Most were about my experience but others were a little bit tricky. A question I will never forget was; "Mention something your organisation have imposed and you have complained". That was a difficult one.   Answer Question

Secretary Interview

Anonymous Employee in Meyrin (Switzerland)

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at CERN (Meyrin (Switzerland)).

Interview

I received an invitation to an interview. I had to attend a board with 6 employees. The interview was in English even if I am french. I had a one hour interview.

Scientific Software Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Geneva (Switzerland)

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at CERN (Geneva (Switzerland)) in January 2017.

Interview

I saw the opening on the cern.ch/jobs website. I applied using their online application process. I was contacted around 2 weeks later for an online interview. Following this I was invited for a face to face interview about 3 weeks after that. The interview was over around a 4 hour period, there were two mini interviews inside of which involving a general knowledge interview and a technical interview and a full panel interview. There were 2 other candidates. Overall a very positive experience.

Interview Questions

• There were too many questions to satisfactorily summarise   Answer Question

Finance Officer Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at CERN.

Interview

I applied online (very structured application form) and I have been invited to complete a video interview after 2/3 weeks the closing date. The video interview has been very appreciated, I was on holiday with extremely low broadband but SONRU technical support was very helpful.
    My opinion is that the video interview is extremely practical for many reasons, but at the same time you don't have the opportunity to integrate your answer with additional comments if you are not answering what the interviewer is looking for (during a traditional phone interview or a face to face interview there is the opportunity to "adjust" answers). In any case it has been a great chance.