CERN Interview Questions | Glassdoor

CERN Interview Questions

Updated May 21, 2017

2.7

Technical Student Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at CERN in January 2009.

Interview

I applied for technical student position. After initial submit I was contacted after 1-2 months. I got only 2 phone interviews with very friendly guy. He was curious about my skills and work experience I did during my university. The whole phone call was not longer than 30 min. The guy described me the work I should do and we checked once more the start date.

Interview Questions

• I didn't find it hard. Maybe I've got enough experience for this level.   Answer Question

Lawyer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Geneva (Switzerland)

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at CERN (Geneva (Switzerland)).

Interview

First, you have to fill out a very long application with many questions on competencies etc. then assuming HR like what they see, you get invited to a video interview which you can do in your own time. After that it is HR and the hiring manager who look at your interview. If they like you, then there was an on-site interview.

Interview Questions

• Why CERN? Why this role? What can you bring to this role?   Answer Question

Software Developer Interview

Interview

I have no idea about the interview process

Firefighter Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Geneva (Switzerland)

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at CERN (Geneva (Switzerland)) in May 2017.

Interview

The interview process was such a great experience.
    All the candidates were treated equally and the atmosphere between us was very friendly. We encouraged each other. It was very well organised. They make you feel comfortable but they require high-level candidates at the same time. Therefore, there is no time to get relax.

Interview Questions

• There were 50 minutes of questions. Most were about my experience but others were a little bit tricky. A question I will never forget was; "Mention something your organisation have imposed and you have complained". That was a difficult one.   Answer Question

Technology Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in Geneva (Switzerland)

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at CERN (Geneva (Switzerland)).

Interview

The interview lasts most of the day and they fly you out to Geneva for it. It is composed of a panel interview (my panel had 5 people including direct supervisor, technical expert, group & department heads and HR rep). You also have to give a presentation based on a topic given to you in advance. After this, I had a technical competence test (case study based on the type of work the role involved). I then went to lunch with the other candidates and recruiters before finishing the day with a series of smaller interviews with existing members of the team. Which order these elements occurs in just depends on how many other candidates are in your selection board and HR's scheduling - you may start with the test or with another element.

Interview Questions

• Give me an example of a time when a project did not go as planned? What did you do to successfully resolve it?   Answer Question

Java and Database Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Geneva (Switzerland)

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at CERN (Geneva (Switzerland)) in March 2017.

Interview

* online test
    * video interview (recording your answers of written questions, bit weird but practical I guess)
    * on place interview - it was whole day, rather exhausting, but overall interesting experience. Take a watch with you since in my room there was no clock and during the case study written test, you are not allowed to have a phone with you. What I found redundant is the apart of the case study questions, there were other small things that they could have included in the online test.

Interview Questions

• To write more advanced SQL DB statement, for which you have to train well your SQL knowledge (don't rely only on your daily work - it won't be sufficient). There was a task to implement data structure in Java (from what I remember was BlockingQueue), for which I didn't have the time and a bunch of small other easy java related questions.   Answer Question

Control Room Operator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Geneva (Switzerland)

Application

I applied online. The process took 8 weeks. I interviewed at CERN (Geneva (Switzerland)) in February 2017.

Interview

The most professional interview experience I have had. No standard question which are not relevant at all. Probing questions trying to figure out as much as possible about my relevant experience to the job.

Systems Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Geneva (Switzerland)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at CERN (Geneva (Switzerland)) in November 2016.

Interview

First stage: Video Interview (real-time self-recording; 3 questions asked). About 90 seconds per question to answer.
    After 10 days received invitation to interview at CERN.
    Second stage: Interview at CERN. In the morning technical test (written, 30 questions) and Board Interview. In the afternoon meeting with people working in the group, informal talks about the job and my experience.

Interview Questions

• Test: Linux / Web / Java questions

Board: Behavioral and Service Management oriented questions
      Answer Question

VIA Junior Fellow Interview

Anonymous Employee in Geneva (Switzerland)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at CERN (Geneva (Switzerland)).

Interview

First I applied through the website. After a month I got a call with questions about my experience, personality and work history. They also asked me to send some piece of code to them. After a month I had a positive response from HR.

Interview Questions

• What was Your experience with FPGAs ?   1 Answer

Lift Technician/Technician(Ne) Ascenseurs Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Geneva (Switzerland)

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at CERN (Geneva (Switzerland)) in March 2016.

Interview

The interview were split into three parts.

Presentation:
    The personal presentation were done in front of the board. After the the presentation were questions asked and answered.
    It was professional and to the point, they asked honest questions and went deeper into the question if there were something unclear.

Practical test:
    The practical test were based on faultfinding on equipment represented in this position.

Written test
    The written test were based on documentation and technical information regarding represented equipment.

Interview Questions

• How can you use your previous experience to an advantage in this position?   Answer Question