CN Interview Questions | Glassdoor

CN Interview Questions

Interviews at CN

2.5

Anonymous Employee in Gary, IN

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at CN (Gary, IN) in July 2019.

Interview

When you arrive at the interview you’ll be put in a room with everyone else you got the interview. They go over pay and benefits and expectations. Than they will start to interview you one by one, and they interview by whoever came first to whoever came last. I was the last one so I waited about 6 hours to get my turn. Interview was easy, just be honest and make sure to mention how safe you are. Oh, and they no longer do the switch test in person on paper they do it online so if you got the interview you already passed the switch test. I’d say be prepared and try to come early so you don’t wait all day.

Interview Questions

• Name 3 reasons why we should hire you besides being a hard worker?   1 Answer

Locomotive Electrician Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Hammond, LA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at CN (Hammond, LA) in March 2019.

Interview

Online Application then received an email for an interview. Interviewed with hiring manager with HR on speaker phone. They explain the process and inform you of pay rates and benfits.

Management Trainee Interview

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at CN (Chicago, IL) in June 2018.

Interview

The interview process went well. There was a short initial phone screening with a representative from HR about a week after applying. Following the initial screening there was a webinar with pertinent info and then formal interviews (conducted via phone).

Interview Questions

• What are some types of people that you find it hard to work with?   Answer Question
    • How do you prioritize things when completing various tasks?   Answer Question

Transportation Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in Memphis, TN

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ months. I interviewed at CN (Memphis, TN) in June 2018.

Interview

Met with HR and Transportation Manager. She asked basic questions and gave a good job description as far as pay and benefits, shifts, and promotion potential. Not sure why their hiring process is so lengthy.

Railroad Conductor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at CN (Chicago, IL) in March 2018.

Interview

After you pass the online assessment you are given about a week's notice for hiring session. Switch test followed by scary job description followed by interview with HR rep and ops manager. Real conductors need not apply. Walmart greeters? In like Flynn.

Interview Questions

• How did you hear about this job?   1 Answer

Solutions Architect Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at CN.

Interview

The interview process initially was fine. I went through the usual process of being vetted by the recruiter first and it went quite well. He told me the next step in the process would be a technical discussion with the manager and team members in the coming days. However, days turned into about 1.5-2 weeks and so I followed up. The recruiter said we're on track and then scheduled the 2nd interview with me HOWEVER - he asked me the same questions as the first interview and then apologized that he had actually lost my file and needed to go through the first interview again. Ridiculous. After another 2 weeks I followed up but was told that the salary expectations didn't line up. I was confused because in the first interview with the recruiter he actually told me the salary range and though I was at the high-end when I told them my expectations I was not mis-aligned. I found the whole process confusing and amateurish.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at CN (New York, NY) in February 2018.

Interview

Basic pre-screen aptitude test, signal test, 25 person group info session, and behavioral question interview. Questions revolve around safety, applicant pool competition, perception of self, driving history, and legal background (which, based on HR best practices, should be done prior to applicants traveling long distances if it's a disqualifing factor or only after a conditional offer is made). Overall, process is fairly basic and simple, although how they select candidates in the pool appears to be subjectively driven rather than objective, performance-driven measures that will contribute to the long-term return for CN and its operations.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Green Bay, WI

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at CN (Green Bay, WI) in February 2018.

Interview

Traveled to a neighboring state to interview. Room filled with 25 or so applicants. You have to get 7 out of 18 correct on switch test lasting 25 minutes. passed switch test but interview didn't go well from the beginning. H/R rushed it and other guy asked me nothing. Will they hire you from another state? Not sure. Don't let me interview then.

Interview Questions

• We know what CN can do for you, why should we choose you instead of the other guys in that room?   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Fond du Lac, WI

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at CN (Fond du Lac, WI).

Interview

Failed the switch test by one. Will try again in 6 months. Make sure you are well rested and alert. Test takes a lot of thought. Don't overthink it and you will be fine.

Systems Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Pueblo, CO

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at CN (Pueblo, CO) in October 2016.

Interview

After applying through the CN site, a HR representative called to set up an interview. The interview was web based through Webex. In attendance were the HR representative I spoke with on the phone, the senior manager of the group, a former manager of the group, and a team leader of a similar group.

Interview Questions

• Have you ever changed the minds of your colleagues after they were initially opposed to an idea you had presented?   1 Answer