KEY NOT FOUND: coverImgAlt

Updated May 14, 2021

3.3
CN Interim President and Chief Executive Officer Jean-Jacques Ruest
Jean-Jacques Ruest
Pros
  • "Good pay and lots of good people(in 81 reviews)

• "Good benefits, great teams to work with(in 46 reviews)

• Cons
  • "work/life balance is non-existent(in 48 reviews)

• "long hours/demanding environment and stressful(in 44 reviews)

• More Pros and Cons
    Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

Ratings by Demographics

This rating reflects the overall rating of CN and is not affected by filters.

Want more demographic options?
    1. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 1 year

Electrician

Feb 18, 2021 - Electrician in Homewood, IL
      Business Outlook

Pros

It’s a good company. Good benefits. Good union

Cons

Don’t have any cons really

CN Response

Thank you for sharing your positive feedback and for your hard work. We pride ourselves on providing our team members with great compensation and benefits. With a 24/7/365 operation CN could not function without our dedicated employees. We thank you for helping move our business and the economy forward.

2. 4.0
      Current Employee, less than 1 year

Canadian national

May 14, 2021 - Freight Conductor in Superior, WI
      Business Outlook

Pros

Great pay great experience great career

Cons

Lots of management and lots of rules you can get in trouble for

3. 4.0
      Current Employee, more than 3 years

Great company, great pay , improve upper management.

May 6, 2021 - Conductor in Chicago, IL
      Business Outlook

Pros

Great pay Good benefits Great stocks Pretty diverse Effective Communication

Cons

No life outside of work

CN Response

Thank you for sharing your feedback and your hard work. We pride ourselves on providing our team members with great compensation and beneifts. When we recruit talent to our operations teams, we spend a lot of time going over the working conditions and the realities associated with the railroad operating 24/7/365 days a year, including how being on call can disrupt your family life and important events. With this 24/7/365 operation CN could not function without our dedicated employees. We thank you for helping move our business and the economy forward.

4. 2.0
      Current Employee, more than 5 years

Hard Life

May 12, 2021 - Locomotive Engineer in Superior, WI
      Business Outlook

Pros

CN will pay you well

Cons

Getting forced all over the system is a hard lifestyle

5. 3.0
      Former Employee, more than 3 years

$$$

May 12, 2021 - Locomotive Engineer
      Business Outlook

Pros

Money money money money money

Cons

Poor management style, life work balance

6. 4.0
      Current Employee, more than 10 years

A Fair Opinion

Apr 2, 2021 - Anonymous Employee
      Business Outlook

Pros

Great pay. Great benefits. Good people. Overall good company

Cons

New ideas are not always welcome - change is slow within the company. A big disconnect between mgmt and unions.

CN Response

Thank you for sharing your feedback and for these years of hard work. We pride ourselves on providing our team members with great compensation and benefits. With a 24/7/365 operation CN could not function without our dedicated employees. We thank you for helping move our business and the economy forward. We hope you share your experience during our regular Pulse surveys so we can develop strategies to do better.

7. 3.0
      Former Employee

Just Look At Leadership & Where the Jobs Really Are

Apr 24, 2021 - Systems Engineer
      Business Outlook

Pros

Pension, profit-sharing, great retirement if you can make it 30 years.

Cons

Cut-throat management ran by the Canadians. US employees viewed/treated as henchmen.

CN Response

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback. We pride ourselves on providing our team members with great compensation and benefits. We hope that you shared your thoughts with our colleague during your exit interview so we can develop strategies to do better in the future. With a 24/7/365 operation CN could not function without our dedicated employees. We thank you for your hard work and having helped move our business and the economy forward.

8. 4.0
      Former Employee, more than 3 years

Say goodbye to family life

Mar 27, 2021 - Freight Conductor in Battle Creek, MI
      Business Outlook

Pros

Good pay, benefits, retirement. Work outdoors

Cons

Schedule is erratic to start. No concern for family life

1 person found this review helpful

CN Response

Thank you for sharing your feedback. We pride ourselves on providing our team members with great compensation and benefits. When we recruit talent to our operations teams, we spend a lot of time going over the working conditions and the realities associated with the railroad operating 24/7/365 days a year, including how being on call can disrupt your family life and important events. With this 24/7/365 operation CN could not function without our dedicated employees. We thank you for your hard work and having helped move our business and the economy forward.

9. 3.0
      Former Employee

It's the railroad

Apr 15, 2021 - Engineering
      Business Outlook

Pros

learn a lot, good benefits and pay

Cons

demanding, not much for work/life relationship

CN Response

Thank you for sharing your feedback and for your hard work. We pride ourselves on providing our team members with great compensation and benefits. When we recruit talent to our teams, we spend a lot of time going over the working conditions and the realities associated with the railroad operating 24/7/365 days a year, including how being on call can disrupt your family life and important events. With this 24/7/365 operation CN could not function without our dedicated employees. We thank you for having helped move our business and the economy forward.

10. 2.0
      Current Employee, more than 3 years

Only good thing is the money

Mar 2, 2021 - Railroad Conductor in Champaign, IL
      Business Outlook

Pros

Pays Good and has good benefits

Cons

Company doesn't care about anything that happens in your family. Unless your kid has died they expect you to be on a train and doing your job. You have no other life or other commitments that are more important. If there is they will fire you in a heart beat.

CN Response

Thank you for sharing your feedback and for your hard work. We pride ourselves on providing our team members with great compensation and benefits. When we recruit talent to our operations teams, we spend a lot of time going over the working conditions and the realities associated with the railroad operating 24/7/365 days a year, including how being on call can disrupt your family life and important events. With this 24/7/365 operation CN could not function without our dedicated employees. We thank you for helping move our business and the economy forward. Please make sure to share your comments during our regular Pulse surveys so we can continue to develop strategies to do better in the future.

Viewing 1 - 10 of 687 Reviews