What people are saying about CN
Got a burning question about CN? Just ask!
On Glassdoor, you can share insights and advice anonymously with CN employees and get real answers from people on the inside.
What are your colleagues talking about?
Top Review Highlights by Sentiment
Excerpts from user reviews, not authored by Glassdoor
- "Poor management: Front line managers at CN are hired off the street because internal employees are not dumb enough to take management jobs." (in 88 reviews)
- "No work/life balance for 10" (in 66 reviews)
- "Long hours and being on call at all hour can be difficult for most people with families at home." (in 58 reviews)
- "The 2021 round of layoffs" (in 21 reviews)
- "Abrasive Culture" (in 17 reviews)
Ratings by Demographics
This rating reflects the overall rating of CN and is not affected by filters.
- Race / Ethnicity
- Sexual Orientation
- Parent or Family Caregiver
- Veteran Status
Found 1,210 of over 1K reviews
Updated Sep 22, 2023
- Most Recent
- Highest Rating
- Lowest Rating
- 5.0Sep 2, 2023Operations ManagerFormer Employee, more than 3 years
Focused on taking care of customer and investors
There are some political games that get playedCN Response3w
Thank you for your feedback and for your hard work. With a 24/7/365 operation CN could not function without its dedicated employees. We thank you for having helped move our business and the economy forward and hope you shared your thoughts during your exit interview.
- 3.0Sep 19, 2023Signal MaintainerCurrent Employee, more than 10 yearsChicago, IL
Unionized Work at own pace
Understaffed Micro managed On callCN Response4d
Thank you for your feedback and for your hard work. When we recruit talent to our teams we spend a lot of time going over the realities associated with the railroad operating 24/7/365 days a year, including how being on call can disrupt your family life and important events. We thank you for helping move our business and the economy forward. Please share your thoughts during our regular pulse surveys.
CN Reviews FAQs
CN has an overall rating of 3.3 out of 5, based on over 1,414 reviews left anonymously by employees. 58% of employees would recommend working at CN to a friend and 58% have a positive outlook for the business. This rating has improved by 1% over the last 12 months.
58% of CN employees would recommend working there to a friend based on Glassdoor reviews. Employees also rated CN 2.4 out of 5 for work life balance, 2.8 for culture and values and 3.2 for career opportunities.