CNN Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Mar 28, 2017

2.8

Writer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Atlanta, GA

Application

I applied through other source. I interviewed at CNN (Atlanta, GA).

Interview

Network before and after you submit your resume. Know what's going on in the world. Have a positive attitude. Be confident. Be yourself. Be willing to work overnights or weekends.

Intern Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at CNN.

Interview

The process took a while for me. I had applied in September and I didn't hear back until December. There's a two-part process to the interview. First, you do a video interview where you answer and record your answers to 20 questions. Then, you'll be contacted by the department in two to three weeks. Every department is different, and they're busy, so it's important to remember that and be patient. The head of the department that you're interested in will contact you and ask you more specific job-related questions. I heard back within two weeks after that.

Interview Questions

• If you could pitch an idea for a story right now, what would it be and why?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Atlanta, GA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at CNN (Atlanta, GA) in February 2017.

Interview

After reading these, I assumed this interview would be easy. In it, I was asked 10 questions. Some were your run-of-the-mill interview questions, resume based and expected, while some were quite extensive and definitely required prior research. This was done definitely because it was an online HireVue interview, whereas an in-person interview would've been much more personable and less intimidating. READ READ READ before your interview. Not just CNN, not just Turner, but EVERYTHING. Good luck!

Interview Questions

• EASY: Where do you see yourself in 5 years?
      HARD: Name three articles that you've read recently (not from the election) and tell us why you had to research the information in them further. Provide some details from the article and where it was published.
      Answer Question

National Desk Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Atlanta, GA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at CNN (Atlanta, GA) in February 2017.

Interview

Basic two person interview. They first went over the job responsibilities. They then asked about my qualifications and why I wanted the job. They also asked why I thought I would be good at doing it. They were very friendly but straight forward.

Interview Questions

• Why do you want this job? What is your communications style?   Answer Question

Account Coordinator Interview

Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 weeks. I interviewed at CNN (Atlanta, GA).

Interview

two phone interviews with an unrelated recruiter to field you. then, 2 in-person interviews with mid-level and senior management. It can be a one on one or 2 on one. They also might walk you around and introduce you to potential co-workers. The final interview was exhausting because of the amount of time they kept me there. The manager kept leaving me with people, and at the end took me to the head of the department after my brain was mush. It was a positive experience, but I would say be prepared to tough it out for a long interview the farther into the process you get.

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to work for CNN?
      When were you in a stressful situation and how did you handle it?
      Answer Question

CNN International Production Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Fayetteville, AR

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at CNN (Fayetteville, AR) in November 2016.

Interview

Fair. I expected 3 questions for the interview (as seen in the practice video) but they turned out to be 10. You are only given three chances to answer the questions, after which, the program automatically submits your third answer. in one of the questions, i submitted my trial answer by mistake. be careful not to do that.

Intern Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at CNN.

Interview

I applied online and received an e-mail a few weeks later scheduling an online interview. However, the interview was pre-recorded questions followed by a timed response I had to record and post. Little strange. Typical interview questions.

Associate Video Producer Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at CNN (New York, NY).

Interview

I applied online and I got the phone interview a week after. Then went to the office to had the interview twice. The process took about 3 weeks. People there are nice, it was a good experience.

Intern Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at CNN.

Interview

I applied online and heard back from an HR rep within two days.
    The first round was an online interview via HireVue where I was given pre-recorded questions from said HR rep, then told to record my response.
    This format was SUPER easy, especially because it gives you 30 seconds to prepare and then you can take up to 5 takes.
    The questions were super easy as well, all very standard interview stuff.

Then approximately a week later, I heard back from the Senior Editor of the Dept that I had said I was the most interested in. He scheduled a phone interview for the next business day.
    We talked for about 15 minutes and it was very relaxed and simple. More specific questions about my qualifications/wants/goals, but still way easier than I expected.
    He then gave me a mini assignment to do that night to assess my skills and told me he would contact me about his decision by the end of the week.

Four days later, I got an email from an HR Rep saying I got the job (pending a quick background check).

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at CNN (New York, NY) in August 2016.

Interview

I applied for 3 different internships - in broadcast and digital. I got an email around 10 days later to record interview answers using my laptop camera and their software. I phone interviewed with 2 teams, was asked to come in for a 1:1 for the digital team, then had a second phone interview with the anchor for the broadcast team. I got the broadcast internship.