COMSOL Interview Questions | Glassdoor

COMSOL Interview Questions

2.7

Junior Graphic Designer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at COMSOL in June 2015.

Interview

I applied online, had 1 phone interview after a month passed. 2 people were on the line during the phone interview- the hiring manager and the design leader. The interview was far more detailed than an average phone screening. I had no idea that there would be 2 people on the line and I was not prepared for that. I heard nothing from the hiring manager after the phone interview.

Interview Questions

• What are your skills? What do you do when you and your boss have a disagreement? What is your process?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at COMSOL (San Francisco, CA) in May 2015.

Interview

applied on their website and received a phone call after 2 days, talked with their tech chief of acoustic simulation, and asked several questions based on my background, they will also ask you several questions about simulation with Comsol, etc

Interview Questions

• they asked several questions related with acoustic simulation based on my background.   Answer Question

Applications Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at COMSOL in April 2015.

Interview

Applied online. After months got email from a manager asking for a phone interview. The phone call lasted for half hour and was all about personal background. Onsite happened a month later. Two presentations were asked to prepare. One is your own work (anything) and the other one is presenting a model using COMSOL. Everyone is friendly, great location. Got a phone call about three weeks later

Technical Marketing Writer Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at COMSOL.

Interview

I didn't get past the phone phase--I was well-prepared and well-qualified. The interviewer was dismissive, never gave me a chance to talk about my qualifications. I'm not sure what the issue was but, there was no chance here for me, not sure why I had a phone interview in the first place.

Interview Questions

• Mostly standard first phase questions: What are you doing now? What is your salary? Do you have direct reports?   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Burlington, MA

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at COMSOL (Burlington, MA).

Interview

Applied for the position over COMSOL website. Received an email arranging a phone interview after about a week. Phone interview went on for about half an hour and mainly focused on experience on resume, not technical at all though. Had an on-site interview the same week which lasted around three hours and consisted of an experience presentation for two senior engineers and a "case" interview. Cases tested ability to simply a problem to physical models and understanding of basic concepts.

Interview Questions

• Draw the system diagram from a research project four years ago.   Answer Question

Negotiation

Interviewers asked for expected salary. Also discussed work authorization for foreign employees.

Marketing Assistant Interview

Anonymous Employee in Palo Alto, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 6 weeks. I interviewed at COMSOL (Palo Alto, CA) in March 2013.

Interview

Applied online. Took about 2 weeks to hear back and receive an interview request. Interview was held in person with several different managers from different departments. Usually there were no more than 2 managers in the interview at a time. About a week later had a phone interview with a marketing manager from the corporate office in Burlington, MA.

Interview Questions

• They wanted to know about my communication skills, and how comfortable I was interacting with different people whether it be via phone, email, or in person.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Burlington, MA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 days. I interviewed at COMSOL (Burlington, MA) in February 2012.

Interview

Few days after submitting the online application, I received an email from one of their senior application engineers, to schedule a phone interview the next day.

The phone interview took about 45 min, with the call dropped once. I redialed and we kept the going smoothly.

He asked about my finite element experience. Specifically "Can you tell me more about such and such project..." kind of things.
    Some particular questions were:
    If they were to give you what you wanted, which one would you choose: harmonic analysis or transient?
    How do you adjust time stepping in transient analysis?
    Element size in dynamic analysis? How many elements per wavelength?
    How much non-linear analysis have you done?
    Have you used COMSOL? Which version?
    What did you use for meshing?
    How do you address large deformations in linear FEM?
    Are you aware of a linear model that sustains large deformations?

He concluded with saying "we'll do a follow up with you within a week or two". It's been more than two weeks: no response, so I'm guessing, they were looking for somebody else.

Interview Questions

• Are you aware of a linear FE model that supports large deformations?   1 Answer
    • How many elements per wavelength?   1 Answer

Applications Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cambridge, East of England, England (UK)

Interview

The interview had 3 stages, an initial phone interview during which I was asked technical questions. Then I was invited to a 2nd interview consisting of presentation on a project followed by a lot of technical questions. I was never asked a single question about my CV, or any competency questions at any stage.
    For the 3rd interview, I was given a chance to use their software and prepare two presentation on 2 tasks. I was expecting the final presentation to be based on presentation skills and being able to give COMSOL inductions, but again the questions were on the technical side, and not sure what the point of the presentations were. Total waste of time and energy and I was not prepared for that. Whenever I hesitated on one question asked by one person, another person would jump in (perhaps trying to help) and they would confuse me even more and did not give me a chance to think at all. One interviewer in particular definitely did not have interpersonal skills. Even after it was obvious that I was going to fail the 3rd interview, he just kept asking question only to humiliate me. He was a bully in many ways. I could not even answer simple questions (some of which I had answer in previous stages) after I found out they were asking me technical questions again. I regret not walking out as soon as I found out especially as I had decided to accept another offer from a different company. Expectedly from their culture they did not contact me to let me know the outcome.

Applications Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at COMSOL.

Interview

I applied online. The first interview and second face to face interview went smoothly and the process was were very fast. The interview questions were mainly pertaining to my background. However after the first two steps they kept delaying and never got back to me. I guess they found someone with a better resume and didn't let me know.

Systems Administrator Interview

Anonymous Employee in Göttingen, Niedersachsen (Germany)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at COMSOL (Göttingen, Niedersachsen (Germany)) in April 2012.

Interview

There were basically two job interviews. In the first one I met with the, in that moment, Technical Manager. We talked for about an hour and a few days later they invited me for a second interview where I met the Sales Manager and the Managing Director. Both meetings were quite easy going, with full flexibility to arrange it and I liked so much the feeling of talking to them, that when they send me a job offer, I wasn't able to refuse it.

Interview Questions

• They asked me to describe several things of my curriculum. There were not specific questions or problem-solving questions.   1 Answer