California State University Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Dec 11, 2017

2.7

Peoplesoft Specialist Interview

Anonymous Employee in Hayward, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at California State University (Hayward, CA) in May 2017.

Interview

There were two rounds of interviews. The first interview was with the technical Team members, who wanted to understand my technical background and skills. I was tested on software security and authentication, database concepts and SQL, and customer services experience. Since this job was mostly a tier-2 support role, there was a customer service component when explaining technical solutions in layman's terms. The second interview was with upper level management to determine if I was a good fit for the Team. They were striving for adding diversity in ideas and approaches and adding new skills to the Team.

Interview Questions

• Describe the layers of security for a typical Web application including authentication, Web app access, data access, etc.   1 Answer
    • Join these tables and decide if when a subquery should be used.   1 Answer

Research Analyst Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ months. I interviewed at California State University.

Interview

I had a 15-minute "screening" interview with an HR person, then just a 1 hour interview with a panel of five people. Unfortunately I did not get a 1-1 interview with the person who would be my immediate supervisor.

It's after the interview and "soft offer" that the crazy part begins: a full background check involving previous salary verification and reference checks, and every address you've had for the past 7 years. It took forever.

Interview Questions

• They were reading scripted questions, really didn't deviate much from their script. I left really not knowing much about the job I was applying for (other than what it said in the description and had researched before).   Answer Question

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at California State University (Long Beach, CA) in November 2016.

Interview

I applied October 29, 2016, the job closed November 9, 2016. Shortly I received a call to schedule an interview. HR Analyst seemed extremely excited to interview. Nice Guy, process took a bit long; I'm sure it's because of Thanksgiving break. Interviewed with the company end of November, it didn't last long at all. Not a tough interview at all. Just make sure to have set examples of accomplishments you have achieved. They asked to perform a criminal history before my interview. Thought that was a bit odd.

Interview Questions

• How does your experience apply to this job? Describe a time you had to shift your priorities to complete a task. How did you meet all your deadlines? They also asked about process improvement projects. Just make sure to know your resume. I made sure to have at least 5-10 examples from each job I had, showcasing my ability to managed my time, successful process improvement projects, and forecasting and analyzing financial statements.   1 Answer
    • Every review I read online, provided a different experience. Not one applied to the actual interview; however, you meet with the HR analyst and the departmental head. The department head sets the tone for the interview, and with 23 campus, I'm sure each one is different.   Answer Question

Instructional Student Assistant Interview

Anonymous Employee in Northridge, CA

Application

I applied through other source. I interviewed at California State University (Northridge, CA) in January 2016.

Interview

I applied via email to the marketing Dept. Coordinator. It was easy and swift. She contacted me for an interview via email. We may have had 1 call prior to the interview.

Interview Questions

• I was asked basic questions about my future career aspirations and my educational background. Additionally, the interviewer wanted to know what upper division classes I took in order to make certain I was prepared to help other students.   1 Answer

Part-Time Lecturer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at California State University (Los Angeles, CA).

Interview

Very thorough 1:1 interview process. I was interviewed by the Director of the department who provided an overview of the roles and responsibilities. Was given information about the class I would be teaching and asked how I would structure it. I was also given an opportunity to share about my background in teaching and explain how it was relevant to the position I am applying for.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about your experience teaching at the college level.   Answer Question

Graduate Assistant Interview

Anonymous Employee in Long Beach, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at California State University (Long Beach, CA) in September 2015.

Interview

It is just the basic interview from the professor about your back ground, Technical skill and interests.
    after that you are suppose to mail the Department Head about your interview and set up a brief meeting and let him know your availability

Interview Questions

• do you have any experience with analytical and experimental stress analysis?   Answer Question

Student Assistant Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Bernardino, CA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at California State University (San Bernardino, CA).

Interview

Group interview. Asked a lot of questions about experience. They interviewed six of us back-to-back. I didn't hear back for two weeks. I then called, and they said i got the position. Over all good experience, and this is a good place to work as a student.

Interview Questions

• Please tell us a time when you could not figure out a problem, what did you do?   Answer Question

Negotiation

Just gave wage, non negotiable.

Administrative Assistant Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at California State University in February 2015.

Interview

Initially did a phone interview with the recruiter for the position. She asked me basic questions about myself and described what the job entailed. She informed me that she was initially conducting phone interviews and that she would narrow down the candidates after that.

Graphic Designer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Long Beach, CA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at California State University (Long Beach, CA) in October 2014.

Interview

Very friendly and laid back. Learned about the company. Basically had the position already before I went in because they liked my work. So most of the interview was just explaining more of my work and them showing me their current design work.

Graphic Designer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at California State University (Los Angeles, CA) in July 2014.

Interview

This interview was for a student position. Not the hardest interview I have ever had but it was about 30-40 minutes for a part-time job! So in that case it was pretty extreme. They asked like 15 questions. They were thoughtful questions though, meant to prepare students for interviews later in life. It definitely helped me later on, so I guess it worked.

Interview Questions

• How do you feel about working on a diverse team?   1 Answer

Negotiation

No negotiation