Caltrans Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Interviews at Caltrans

2.8

Sort:

Associate Analyst Interview

Interview

I had one panel interview with three managers. They asked me about my analytical experiences.

Interview Questions

• Tell us about a time you made a mistake and how you responded   Answer Question

Office Technician Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Caltrans.

Interview

It took about 3 weeks after sending my application packet. I had three panel interviewers who asked me questions related to my position that I applied for. They were very quiet and wrote down a lot of notes, so they didn't make very much eye contact and or give any feedback or reassuring nods.

Interview Questions

• What would you do when you encounter an angry person on the phone who wants something right now?   2 Answers

Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Santa Barbara, CA

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Caltrans (Santa Barbara, CA) in April 2017.

Interview

Long, but overall a good experience. The interviewers were friendly, very casual, nothing to stress over thankfully. I wasn't particularly prepared and I was offered the position without much experience. About 65k entry level.

Intern Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Caltrans.

Interview

The interview began with the hiring manager giving me a tour of the job site. He then introduced me to nearly everyone in the entire office. It was a great experience. I got to meet nearly 20 different engineers and engage in good conversations with many of them. After about 30 minutes, he sat me down and asked some questions about myself including work ethic, who I am as a person etc. He asked me some basic CE questions and that was it. It was a great experience.

Interview Questions

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Caltrans in June 2018.

Interview

I applied online and 4-5 weeks I went for my interview. You need to create calcareer and apply for the Environmental planner Biologist position. They asked me 9 questions. The firs question about my education and information about this job.

Interview Questions

• Upon reconstruction of a bridge over a river what types of
        issues/impacts would you expect to encounter?
       what types of documents and permits would you need to prepare?
       what would be your role(s)/responsibilities in the project?

Upon reconstruction of a bridge over a river what types of
        issues/impacts would you expect to encounter?
       what types of documents and permits would you need to prepare?
       what would be your role(s)/responsibilities in the project?   1 Answer

Budget Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in Sacramento, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Caltrans (Sacramento, CA) in March 2014.

Interview

It was a panel interview with three managers- my report to, the SSM II and an SSM II from another section. They asked me a series of situational questions and then there was an excel test.

Interview Questions

• Describe a situation where you had a conflict with another employee and how it was resolved.   1 Answer

Senior Planner Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sacramento, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 7 weeks. I interviewed at Caltrans (Sacramento, CA) in March 2016.

Interview

State interviews consist of a panel of usually 3 people who have a list of questions. They cannot deviate from that list unless the interviewee brings something up voluntarily, then they can ask about that. They will not have looked at any of the application or resume information you provided. The questions are often odd, and even with years of experience they often seem like poor choices. But the panel is not allowed to give any assistance in helping you understand what it is they're looking for. They ask the question, you answer, and they write down what they feel is pertinent in your answer. Often they are looking for "buzz words" or phrases to check off. The less experienced will not make eye contact, but will keep their heads down and eyes on their paper throughout. If they already know who they want to hire and are only going through the motions, which is often the case, you'll know it. At HQ in Sacramento, they are especially cold and uninviting. If you get the job offer, you'll get a call. If you didn't get the offer, you might get a call, but likely will simply get a rejection letter after several weeks. (You also are made to confirm that you will not discuss the interview with anyone, BTW.)

Interview Questions

• A new CE has been proposed by legislation; should Caltrans support it or not and what should be considered?   1 Answer

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Caltrans in July 2012.

Interview

You submit an application to the filed office then selected for an interview. The interview consisted of a panel of 3 department heads. You are shown the interview questions before the interview. The first step in the process is taking the State administered test for the position. Once on the list, you become "reachable". This requirement is valid for any agency in the State of California who is hiring for this position.

Associate Governmental Program Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sacramento, CA

Application

I applied through other source. I interviewed at Caltrans (Sacramento, CA) in July 2014.

Interview

CA State has a process for applying for jobs. It can be a bit cumbersome, but it is the same for everyone. You first have to take and pass an exam for the job classification. Once that is completed you can apply for jobs in that classification. You must complete a standard state application for each job you apply for. It is best if you update the application for each job you apply for and tailor your job duties to fit the skills they listed in the job announcement. There is limited space on the job application be specific and address the skills listed in the job announcement.

Interview Questions

• Define "Excellent Customer Service". Give an example of how you have provided excellent customer service.

What steps do you follow to resolve issues? Give an example of how you've used those steps to resolve an issue.

What are the tools and resources you use to prioritize tasks?   Answer Question

Interview

The interview had six or seven questions with a panel of three. the panel was very friendly. The questions were pretty standard. A lot was based on the job description that was posted - a question specifically asked the interviewee to tell the panel what the job entails. I felt like they already had someone selected for the position though. probably an internal candidate. i was not selected for the position.