KEY NOT FOUND: coverImgAlt
Is this your company?

Add an Interview

Caltrans Interview Questions

Updated Jul 6, 2022

To filter interviews, or .
Found 165 of over 165 interviews

Other6%
2.8
HardAverageEasy

Caltrans

Application

I interviewed at Caltrans

Interview

The interview process was standard with self introduction, general project and what-if role questions. The interview was consisted of a panel with an HR personnel, the hiring manager and an assistant/associate engineer.

Interview Questions
  • Describe a project that you had a disagreement with a team member.
    Answer Question

Caltrans

Application

I interviewed at Caltrans

Interview

Quick. Straight forward with few simple questions and a few picture questions. 3 persons are interviewing you, I also did mines through video call. So it was more comfortable. Lasted about 15 mins. All 3 will ask questions.

Interview Questions
Be the first to find this interview helpful

Caltrans

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Caltrans

Interview

Interviewed by three people using Cisco Webex. It went fine. They asked about 7 questions and it took about 45 to 60 minutes. They said they will take two to three months to answer.

Interview Questions
Be the first to find this interview helpful

Caltrans

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 months. I interviewed at Caltrans

Interview

Applied online through Calcareers.ca.gov. The time to get a response was about 3 months. I applied to several locations for the same job, i.e. Transportation Engineer (Civil). An email was sent to me saying that Caltrans would be hosting a Mass Hiring Event in Marysville, CA. I attended the event and was interviewed by 4 people, who asked general/basic questions as the job was entry level. I received a conditional offer the following week and started working a month after that.

Interview Questions
Be the first to find this interview helpful

Caltrans

Application

I interviewed at Caltrans

Interview

Interview was very short and duty statement didn’t match the job description I was asked about via interview questions. I felt like the duty statement did not actually describe the job per the way it was explained in the interview. The man who ran the interview speed read the instructions in a bizarre manner.

Interview Questions
Be the first to find this interview helpful

Caltrans

Application

I interviewed at Caltrans

Interview

The interview was average and asked your usual questions like why you want to join the company and such. Dress nicely and answer every question with some thought and your experience

Interview Questions
Be the first to find this interview helpful

Caltrans

Application

I interviewed at Caltrans

Interview

7-8 questions related to experience and qualifications and then an Excel exercise. It's an online interview. Questions are not very hard, pretty reasonable, and straightforward questions related to the position.

Interview Questions
Be the first to find this interview helpful

Caltrans

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Caltrans in Feb 2022

Interview

Webex interview with a panel of three senior environmental planners at Caltrans. They all seemed to be very serious prior to the interview, so I felt a bit intimidated. After the interview was complete they opened up a bit.

Interview Questions
  • 1. Why do you want to work for Caltrans? 2. What is the duty statement? 3. There is a project that has the possibility to have significant impacts, what type of studies or environmental documentation will you prepare? 4. There is a project getting stalled by someone involved, how do you try to approach facilitating the project?

Anonymous Employee in Marysville, CA

Application

I interviewed at Caltrans (Marysville, CA)

Interview

Division of Local Assistance - Easy going panel interview consisting of 1 Transportation Engineer and 1 Transporation Planner. Asked about prior experience with databases and general engineering experience. Overall moderate difficult questions as this was a student position.

Interview Questions
Be the first to find this interview helpful

Anonymous Employee in Fresno, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 6 months. I interviewed at Caltrans (Fresno, CA)

Interview

Had my first interview 4 months after my application, my second interview a month after that, and then a job offer a month later. I started the job 6 months after the application. A combination of a written calculation based question, written response question, and formal interview questions with a panel of two senior engineers.

Interview Questions
1 person found this interview helpful
Viewing 1 - 10 of 165 Interviews

Caltrans Interviews FAQs

Glassdoor users rated their interview experience at Caltrans as 68.0% positive with a difficulty rating score of 2.84 out of 5 (where 5 is the highest level of difficulty). Candidates interviewing for Transportation Engineer, Civil and Environmental Planner rated their interviews as the hardest, whereas interviews for Transportation Engineer and Student Assistant roles were rated as the easiest.

The hiring process at Caltrans takes an average of 60 days when considering 175 user submitted interviews across all job titles. Candidates applying for Transportation Engineer had the quickest hiring process (on average 38 days), whereas Student Assistant roles had the slowest hiring process (on average 55 days).

Common stages of the interview process at Caltrans according to 175 Glassdoor interviews include:

Group Panel Interview: 36.05%