Carpenter Co. Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Find your next job here

Carpenter Co. Interview Questions

2.9

Chemical Loader Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Carpenter Co. in June 2017.

Interview

Group interview plant manager, shift supervisor, and HR personal for about 30 minutes. General question about yourself and what you bring to the company . that was after a phone interview with HR personal

Staff Accountant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Richmond, VA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Carpenter Co. (Richmond, VA) in June 2017.

Interview

After submitting my online application I was emailed a week later to do a phone interview. The phone interview went great. They just asked basic screening questions like what are you looking for? and do you have experience with cost accounting? That went great and then about another week later they invited me for an in person interview on site at their Richmond office. I first interviewed with the accounting supervisor who was really nice and down to earth. He referred to my resume a lot which I liked because that meant he took the time to look at it beforehand. However the second interview with the accounting controller did not go as well. He was an older man and had been with the company for 30 plus years. He seemed very rigid and I could tell he was wanting me to have more accounting experience than I did. He cut the interview short which I could tell meant that he wasn't interested in me. It didn't bother me too much because I read a lot of really bad reviews about the culture of the company and I could tell from my interviews that it was exactly how a lot of people described. They don't seem to promote growth or change and don't do a lot of morale boosting activities for their employees. It just seemed kind of dull to me and stuck in time. It just wasn't what I was looking for personally. It was a great learning experience though!

Interview Questions

• Tell me a time when you created a cost report and the numbers went against your gut feeling. What did you do?   1 Answer

Production Supervisor Interview

Anonymous Employee in Elkhart, IN

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Carpenter Co. (Elkhart, IN).

Interview

Applied and after a couple of days, I received a email to do an assessment. After completing the assessment, I received a call to set up a interview. After completing the interviews. I received a call a couple of days later with an offer.

Manager/Supervisor Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Carpenter Co. in March 2016.

Interview

Laid Back. Don't care about actual education. They care about the personality more. They want you to express yourself rather than just see if you are qualified. Swab Test.

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to work for us.   1 Answer

Operations Management Trainee Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Allentown, PA

Application

I applied online. The process took 6 weeks. I interviewed at Carpenter Co. (Allentown, PA) in April 2015.

Interview

Submitted resume for open position, received a call a few weeks later for a phone screen, basic questions. Then scheduled an interview for the next week. Traveled to the interview, was shown to a conference room to wait for the Division Manager who would be interviewing me first, followed by the Plant Manager. The Division Manager enters the room, 35 minutes after the scheduled start time, and asks me to tell him about myself. I present my typical introduction/elevator pitch, discuss my background, education, and why I feel I am the person for the position. He then goes on to ask very vague, general questions about my family, willingness to relocate, and personal background, not really touching on the position specific information that is normally asked in an interview (i.e. how do you deal with a difficult customer, explain a situation in which you were presented with too many tasks, how do you prioritize and communicate, etc.), leaving very long pauses between my answering and his next question (upwards of 30 seconds, no exaggeration). Following this, not at all confident in my chances, and am then introduced to the plant manager, who was much more professional and easy to speak to. He asked the typical interview questions (see above), and then thanked me for my time.

Three days later, receive a call from the human resources director, and to my surprise am scheduled a second interview for the following week. I attend, am met by the Division Manager, shown to his office, and we chatted for 30 minutes or so. Very laid back, discussion of his vision for the individual to be selected, and still contained long pauses, which I let him fill as opposed to trying to speak too much as I felt I did in the 1st interview. Division Manager says in his eyes, I am the top candidate, and should be hearing from him soon. Then re-introduced to Plant Manager, who gave an extensive tour of the plant layout and high level processes, nearly an hour. Shown back to the Division Managers office, who tells me that they normally don't talk benefits until after an offer is made, but that he wanted me to talk with the HR person to make sure that the package was acceptable before he went any further. As most people say in the comments, benefits were very generous, and I left with a very positive feeling.

Sure enough, a few days later, I receive a conditional offer for the position. They then contact my references, who all gave great reports, and conduct a criminal background check. I then do not hear anything for 4 weeks, after the time I was to begin the position, and left an email/voicemail the 3rd week just to check status as I have now declined other offers and am preparing to relocate to the other side of the state for this position. No reply that week, and receive a form letter from the background check company that states that Carpenter has decided to rescind the offer, due to a DUI in my past that I informed the company about at 3 different times in the interview/hiring process.

The kicker is that the company had the gall to call me back the following week to re-offer the position.

Short story: Was up front about the DUI before even scheduling the 1st interview, traveled over 1200 miles round trip between two interviews, was offered the job, then had the offer rescinded for the DUI they were already aware of. I am not saying they should overlook criminal history, and if that is the company policy, it was my mistake, I was the idiot that broke the law. However, don't revoke an offer based on information you already knew, the company should not have offered the position in the first place.

Interview Questions

• Can you tell me what you would do if a piece of equipment went down? How would you get it back online, how would you manage the employees affected, what do you do with the rest of the operation while this mission essential piece is offline?   Answer Question

See above

Machine Operator Interview

Anonymous Employee in Russellville, KY

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Carpenter Co. (Russellville, KY) in March 2014.

Interview

Virtually no interviewing at all. I was asked to confirm that my submitted application was up to date and when I said yes, I was told I'd be starting that coming Friday.

Interview Questions

• Is your resume complete and up to date?   1 Answer

Pourline Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 5+ weeks. I interviewed at Carpenter Co. in April 2012.

Interview

Online application leading to a phone interview, which led to a corporate interview in Richmond, and finally a plant-specific interview in Tupelo. The phone interview was a simple "tell me about yourself" type interview. The corporate interview was much more technical, as I was interviewed by three corporate chemical engineers. The plant-specific interview was more of a "what do you bring to the table" type interview.

Interview Questions

• Please explain how a distillation tower works. Why should we hire you?   Answer Question

Production Supervisor Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Carpenter Co. in August 2010.

Interview

Had an interview with Carpenter Co. set up through a Recruiter. Had a brief presentation by the interviewers to explain the industry and the type of industry they are involved in. It was very informative and provided baseline information to guide the interview. Interviewers started off with standard questions about my background skills, and had some situational questions i.e. tell me about a time..... The interview was very formal but they had good information and had positive things to say about the type of culture.