Castalia Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Castalia Interview Questions

Updated Apr 5, 2017

3.8

Analyst Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Castalia.

Interview

4 interviews with different team managers. Pretty straightforward. They ask about microeconomics and financial skills. They do not ask behavioral questions. They want to find out your interest in the company and basic concepts. Demonstrating interest in energy, water or transport is a big plus. They also test your language skills.

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Castalia (Washington, DC).

Interview

First a senior team member will interview you. Then the practice leaders. Also have to complete a test that measures your analytical and writing skills. Languages are truly valued, as well as knowledge of econ and finance. If you're a quick study and can prove your potential they don't mind if you don't have the right background.

Interview Questions

• Mostly focused on economics (intermediate) and finance (basic). Ironically, they do not ask too many fit questions. They also like to ask logic questions.   1 Answer

Intern Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Castalia.

Interview

I only made it through the first round. Standard interview questions and then a foreign language assessment (required for my position). Talked about environmental economics. Some of the interview was conducted in French, and there was a writing test at the end. Whole process was about 3 hours. Interviewer gave feedback when they turned me down, which was unexpected and very appreciated!

Interview Questions

• Write about geothermic energy potential in Dominica (in French).   Answer Question

Analyst Or Research Associate, Latin America Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Castalia (Washington, DC) in June 2015.

Interview

I was interviewed by employees only a few years senior to where I would be hired at at Castalia. They asked me mostly questions about economics and infrastructure, with no behavioral questions. They also asked me to speak about my previous work experience in Spanish, a language I indicated I knew on my resume.

Overall, I felt it was a positive interview, but I wasn't offered a second round. They emailed within a week to say that they were looking for someone with a little more experience, unsurprising, as I was at the bottom of their experience range. They said I would have done two more interviews and an in-office writing sample.

Interview Questions

• Midway through the interview they gave me a list of topics (economics, Spanish, energy, ect.) and asked me to rate on a scale of 1 to 10 how much I knew about each. They then asked me questions about the topics I had indicated I knew the best.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Castalia (Washington, DC) in March 2015.

Interview

Quite an intensive interview process; 4 interviews in total, 2 with members of the team potentially joined, and 2 with senior staff. Evaluate both sector-specific knowledge and wider economical reasoning. Senior staff interviews are aimed at assessing your broad "resourcefulness", so they can get a little tricky.
    Also includes a 'test': written case study and (easy) excel work. Again, the written part (4-5 questions on a case) is aimed as evaluating both the way you think, write, and your knowledge of the sector you're interviewing for. There is a feed-back session after that, with the person who would hire you, so you can get a chance to explain, and potentially correct your answer. I thought the case study wasn't giving enough information for one to be able to get the expect answers, but they may change that.

Interview Questions

• How would you assess your personal knowledge of finance? and subsequent questions in accordance to your answer.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Castalia (Washington, DC) in April 2013.

Interview

The longest interview I've ever had. Started from 9:30 and ended at 11:50. With 3 different interviewers.

Interview Questions

• What are the most striking differences between China and the US?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

Application

The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Castalia (Washington, DC) in January 2012.

Interview

Phone interview with case study testing economic and financial knowledge (CAPM, NPV, WACC, etc.)

Intern Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Castalia.

Interview

Interviewed for Washington DC, process took 3+ weeks. 3 interviews: 2 with senior management and the 1 with the CEO. Technical interviews - they didn't care for behavioural questions. One was finance based and the other two were micro-economics.

Interview Questions

• Finance was about WACC and cost-benefit analysis. Micro-economics was about government intervention   Answer Question

Project Associate Interview

Application

The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Castalia in November 2011.

Interview

I was not expecting behavioral questions to dominate a phone screening, but that was what happened. There were about 3-4 staff members. They were very short and brief, shooting questions after questions. They were obviously not too concerned about making it comfortable and conversational.

Interview Questions

• Tell me a time when you solve a problem successfully compared to a time when you did not solve a problem successfully. What did you learn? What would you change next time?   Answer Question

Senior Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in North Sydney (Australia)

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Castalia (North Sydney (Australia)) in June 2011.

Interview

I was recommended by a former colleague who worked with the company in Washington DC. I was contacted via email, then I had two phone conversations with the Managing Director and a lengthy (2.5 hour) face-to-face chat with the Chief Exectutive. The conversation ranged from deeply probing my understanding of economic issues and concepts to discussions of my experience.

Interview Questions

• What does efficiency mean to you? Give real world examples.   Answer Question