Center for Effective Philanthropy Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Center for Effective Philanthropy Interview Questions

Interviews at Center for Effective Philanthropy

2.5

Statistical Analyst Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Center for Effective Philanthropy in May 2018.

Interview

About an hour long interview, asked several questions about data driven projects, programming background, statistical knowledge, and work preferences.
    Followed up with a technical test with relatively simple excel problems and phone conversation - stumbled on a question regarding which statistical test I would use to test for difference in means between two samples.
    The company promised to follow up shortly and never received any emails or phone calls after the technical test.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cambridge, MA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 6 weeks. I interviewed at Center for Effective Philanthropy (Cambridge, MA).

Interview

First there were a few phone calls which basically assessed my educational background/did some more general how well do you work with others/under stress etc. Then after the phone calls I was sent a statistics exam which was very basic (normal distribution, confidence intervals, etc). When I had the in person interview I went and sat with some of the directors who asked me about my interest in research/my prior research and education. Then I sat and spoke with a few of the other analysts in the office who basically asked about my experience with certain coding languages and some statistical modeling.

Interview Questions

• Are you interested in research? And if so, what kind of research have you done in the past?   Answer Question
  3. Create your profile to get personalized information

Anonymous Employee in Cambridge, MA

Application

I applied online. The process took 6 weeks. I interviewed at Center for Effective Philanthropy (Cambridge, MA) in March 2016.

Interview

I applied for an Analyst position in late January. I sent my resume and a cover letter in and I heard back about a phone interview a day later. That was one thing that I really liked about this process; they didn't waste your time and they moved quickly. The phone interview went very well. The questions were straightforward just to assess my familiarity with data analysis and working in teams and working on projects, so nothing out of the ordinary. The interviewer was very nice and easy to talk to so we ended up having a good conversation that went well over the allotted 30 mins.

A couple days later I was told that CEP wanted to progress with my candicacy and I had to complete a quantitative analysis test. This was a timed test to be completed on my own and then sent back to CEP. The test wasn't too hard; you just had to have a good understanding of statistical analysis and different statistical tests but it was nothing too difficult.

About two or so weeks after I completed the test I was told that I was selected for an in-person interview. They were very helpful and told me that they would reimburse all expenses I incurred in traveling up to Cambridge to interview. This included two nights in a nice hotel so I wouldn't have to rush to the airport after my interview; I spent the night before and after my interview in Cambridge. The in-person interview consisted of two back-to-back interviews with the members of the team that I was interviewing for. The interviews were about an hour long each and I was interviewed by two people for both of them. These went extremely well and just like with my phone interview, they felt more like conversations than traditional, nerve-wracking interviews. Since these interviews were with the actual members of the team, the questions were a little more in-depth to really make sure I could handle the data analysis aspect of the work. They were also more behavioral because the interviewers were really assessing whether they would want to work with me. All in all, the questions weren't difficult and I just answered truthfully and how I felt and they were all positively receptive to that.

About a week and a half after my interviews I was asked to submit references and then they gave me an offer. The whole process was very nice and everyone at CEP couldn't have been more helpful. When I traveled to the office for my interview, I was taken on a tour of the office and met a few employees (including the CEO in the hallway on my way back from the bathroom). Everyone was kind and I saw this culture even after I got my offer when a bunch of employees (including the CEO) reached out to congratulate me and offer any help or advice with making the move to the Boston area. They also served lunch during my second interview which was really good. Overall, I could tell that everyone at CEP went out of their way to make the process as easy-going, stress-free, and timely as possible.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time you worked with large data sets.   Answer Question
    • What kind of work environment do you like to work in?   Answer Question
    • How do you handle working on multiple tasks with various deadlines?   Answer Question

Research Analyst Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Center for Effective Philanthropy in September 2017.

Interview

I applied online through my college career's website. It took a while for them to reach out to me so I was quite surprised one morning after 3 weeks to see an email in my inbox asking to schedule a phone screening. The phone interviewer was very pleasant to speak with and gave me a very good idea of the culture, as well as the tasks research analysts work on. However, the role emphasizes a strong statistical background and without one, I wasn't able to progress further.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about one of your past projects involving statistical work.   Answer Question
    • How would you present data and research to someone without much experience in them?   Answer Question

Research Analyst Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Center for Effective Philanthropy.

Interview

My experience interviewing with the Center for Effective Philanthropy is limited to my phone interview with them. I applied online, and was notified by their Talent Director that they would like to move forward with my candidacy.

During the interview, I was made away that this position was highly quant-dependent and being that I did not have a particularly strong foundation in quantitative analysis, it made me a tough pick for the position.

All-in-all, however, the Talent Director was very nice and we had a good conversation regardless of my lack of fit for the position.

Anonymous Employee in Cambridge, MA

Application

I applied online. The process took 7+ weeks. I interviewed at Center for Effective Philanthropy (Cambridge, MA) in November 2013.

Interview

The process was long but definitely positive! I applied by sending a cover letter and resume. I heard back from HR in about a week to schedule a phone interview. The interview lasted about 45 minutes, and I heard back the next week about scheduling an in person interview in Cambridge. My interview ended up not being until two weeks later because of busy schedules. When I did go to Cambridge, the interview began with a statistics aptitude questionnaire. Then, I spoke with two Senior Research Analysts for an hour before speaking with the Vice President of Research for another hour. The conversations were very pleasant and entailed basic discussions of my experiences and abilities. The next week I was asked if I could meet with the President of the organization. We met at a hotel in NYC (he had meetings later that day) and chatted for about 30 minutes. This conversation was more about the culture of the organization and my expectations for a job. All in all, every person I talked to was super great and the process was not intimidating or daunting. The last step was to provide three references.

Interview Questions

• I guess the most difficult part was probably just the statistics aptitude questionnaire since it was so technical. Although, if you know basic statistically analyses and how/when to apply them it was very doable!   Answer Question

Research Analyst Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Center for Effective Philanthropy in May 2014.

Interview

Application -> Phone screen -> In person interview

The phone screen was very friendly, as was everyone in the in-person interview. The interview, in total, took about three hours. After the interview ended, the company called my three references. Calling the references was an indication that they were taking my offer seriously.

Interview Questions

• Consists of case interview, interview about quant skills, and a general fit interview   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Center for Effective Philanthropy (San Francisco, CA) in August 2015.

Interview

I submitted my resume and cover letter to CEP via email. Two weeks later CEP replied and I scheduled a phone interview. The phone interview was very friendly and took about 30 minutes with 5 minutes at the end for me to ask questions. The phone interview went very well and I was told that if I was being considered for an on-site interview I would know in 1.5-2 weeks. I never heard back again.

Interview Questions

• What interests you about CEP? How do you handle strong criticism What are the details of your research experience? What are the size of data sets you have worked with in the past?   Answer Question

Research Associate Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Center for Effective Philanthropy in December 2012.

Interview

I had a pre-screening interview with the HR at CEP then within the next week, I was invited for a series of interviews at the office. I interviewed with six people from various departments. My interview went well and lasted over three hours.

Interview Questions

• The business case was a little bit difficult because I had never done an official case study before.   Answer Question

Assessment Tools Research Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

Application

The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Center for Effective Philanthropy (Boston, MA) in April 2012.

Interview

I applied on-line on the organization's website and received an e-mail soon thereafter (less than a week?) from a member of the HR team at the organization. He was very friendly and we scheduled a 30 minute phone interview. The interview consisted of a range of general questions about why I had applied, what interested me about their organization, how I handled strong criticism. The interviewer then transitioned quickly to hone in more specifically about the details of my research experience. Questions were curious about the size of data sets, statistical software I had used, etc.

I received another e-mail within a week of this phone interview letting me know I had received a second round interview at the office in Central Sq. in Boston, MA. The interview was about three hours long and split into three sections (1 hour, 45 min, & 45 min). The first interview consisted on an informal case interview with the VP of the Assessment Tools (AT) team and an AT research associate. Both were very nice, but I was not told beforehand about the case and I would have really preferred to know before entering the interview. I was given 30 minutes to review the information about a fake organization and various reports/graphs. I was also given 4 questions to answer. At the end of the 30 minutes, I went through the four questions with the 2 interviewers and talked about the fake organization.

The second interview was with a Sr A.T. Analyst and an AT analyst. They wanted to know more about my experience with statistics and excel. One question was "Can you tell us about a time you used data in a creative way?"

Third interview was with a A.T. Research Manager and an A.T. Analyst. They were asking many behavioral questions (Can you give us an example of a time you faced conflict within a group assignment) as well as personal questions to try to get a gauge of my personality.

I ended up not getting the position, but had an overall positive interview experience. Would have preferred to know about the informal case instead of being surprised mid-interview but besides that, it was manageable!

Interview Questions

• Can you think of a time when you used data in a creative way?   Answer Question