Check Point Software Technologies Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Check Point Software Technologies Interview Questions

Updated May 25, 2017

2.9

Marketing Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Check Point Software Technologies.

Interview

I applied the position through company website, then I received two video calls, one from line manager and one from HOD. Then I was contacted by HR to discuss availability and logistics.

Sales Manager Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Check Point Software Technologies.

Interview

Not a bad sales process, spoke to team I would likely be on and everything seemed very positive until apparently the last person who did not understand English very well. Was rejected for who knows what reason, no response from the two senior personnel that interviewed me.

Interview Questions

• Something having to do with revenue, if I write the question, they will know who I am.   1 Answer

Territory Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Carlos, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Check Point Software Technologies (San Carlos, CA) in February 2017.

Interview

Recruiter reached out saying I was a potential fit for a channel/partner development role. Had an initial phone screen with the recruiter (robotic personality and questions asked) and two weeks go by without next steps. Finally, I get a call from a hiring manager, but for a direct sales group. We discussed a role I had no interest in and that was it. I reached back to the recruiter about the confusion and she said the interview process ended. Waste of time waiting around and did not even get a chance to talk with someone about the actual position I wanted to pursue.

Interview Questions

• Why are you looking to leave your current company? Why Check Point?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Jose, CA

Interview

The questions were pretty straight forward on how you would deal with customers in certain situations. There were also some assessments that you have to take to test your technical skills. The biggest problem with the whole interview/hiring process was they never got back to me. Emailed and followed up on status but just never heard back. Would be nice to know what the results were.

Facilities Coordinator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Carlos, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Check Point Software Technologies (San Carlos, CA).

Interview

They wanted to know more about your experience to verify if you knew what you were talking about and to make sure you were a good fit for the position.

Interview Questions

• Describe your work experience and how you can apply it to Check Point.   Answer Question

Security Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Arlington, VA

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 6+ months. I interviewed at Check Point Software Technologies (Arlington, VA) in April 2016.

Interview

Lengthy interview process useful to vet out the right candidates and make sure are good fit for both themselves and the company. A combination of security engineering and sales focused interviews, again to vet out the best fit candidates for the role. Typical difficulty in the technical aspect, required a working knowledge of security and firewall fundamentals and must be able to install/configure and provide a basic overview demonstration of the core product. Good communication skills very helpful.

Interview Questions

• Describe policy creation, installation, management, log research and troubleshooting.   1 Answer

Negotiation

We agreed on a fair compensation package during the interview process before final approval.

Account Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Check Point Software Technologies in February 2016.

Interview

Initial interview conducted via telephone - innocuous questions that had no content or substance to the position. What exactly is the HR role in all of this? I think I understand the many negative reviews here.

Anonymous Employee in San Carlos, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 6 weeks. I interviewed at Check Point Software Technologies (San Carlos, CA) in February 2016.

Interview

Normal process - Phone Screen by HR and later 1:1 interview with the hiring Manager which include a study case in order to evaluate your skills and experience. Finally go with Group or Panel interview with some Managers / Directors

Interview Questions

• How will you motive your team?   1 Answer

Account Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Check Point Software Technologies.

Interview

Applied online. Scheduled a time with the HR recruiter which they rescheduled. The HR contact was 15 min late in calling me. She/He ran down the list of questions in a very dry format. Nothing out of the ordinary. The recruiter sounded miserable and not in the mood or mindset for the interview. They never even ask the basic question of describing my previous work experience at each company on my resume. The questions were more centered on why I had left the companies. It was obvious that they had not taken the time to read my resume in full. I have no confidence that the recruiter was listening to my answers or writing notes. This was evident by the question they posed - "Have you ever worked in security?" after I spent minutes discussing how my previous company is in the network security space, the software and services offerings, and my role with the company. The 3rd question was asking what I currently made, and "What do you expect Check Point to pay you?".

Interview Questions

• "What do you expect Check Point to pay you?".   1 Answer

Security Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Carlos, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Check Point Software Technologies (San Carlos, CA) in December 2015.

Interview

I received an e-mail from a director to schedule a phone interview and talked for about an hour initially. The questions were mostly focused on selling and flexibility in travel(not much technical). They asked about my experience with Check Point software in the first round(which I had a decent amount but no certs.) The interview wrapped up with a scheduled phone interview with the hiring manager and a planned onsite presentation/demo. I made mention that my public speaking skills were weak but they were OK with it. I've never applied for a sales engineer role(this being the first).

On the second phone interview, I was asked what a connection table was and gave an adequate response to go forward with an onsite(plus basic info on demo’ing URL filtering). I was also asked to present a topic I knew well. Card decks make a lot of eyes glaze over these days and I avoided that.

In preparation, it wasn't clear that the intended environment should only be VMWare workstation or that Windows was required to make the client work properly.(I have OSX and use VirtualBox). Fortunately, having enough neteng/devops experience, I hacked it together with an older laptop at least from a connectivity standpoint.(without being able to apply policy from a client standpoint) Also, my pres. was not well delivered but I have the technical knowledge/skill for a lot of it.(although some learning req’d which is good potential in my opinion given this position) The hiring manager did reach out to see how the demo was coming ahead of time but I had nothing concerning at that point.

Day of the demo/presentation, I showed up on time, received a temp badge in the waiting area, and went with the hiring manager to a conference room. On listening/looking at the environment, there wasn't much chit-chat or many smiles as you would pass people but I wasn't there for long. I was introduced to a few people including one remote person. I was also introduced to the Acct Manager I would be paired. I was given a little background on the sales goals and targets. The AM, in true sales fashion, claimed they'd be buying another sports car when they hit particular numbers(which was a red flag). The presentation was first and then the demo when I asked. I set up things in pretty short time(a few minutes) and then started the presentation. Before I started, someone showed up late but acted like they didn't want to be there(which is fine since I wasn't setup yet). I introduced myself and went on with the pres. As I proceeded, I stopped after about 10 minutes of presenting to get any questions. They didn't have but a question and wanted to move onto the demo of URL filtering. I prefaced with I wasn't able to apply policy(Virtual Box) and switched to the Windows laptop to use 'demo' mode to simulate. I started to show an example of applying filtering based on content. I showed them how it works as well as ways to block for particular gateways, how to log, etc.

Based on the questions asked, it was clear that I was overqualified technically for the implementation they were asking but I definitely required work in selling the Check Point product(which I understood). A decent way through the interview, the AM just left along with the guy who appeared he didn't want to be there without as much as a 'goodbye.' At first I thought it was a test since you see it sometimes in sales' pitches and kept proceeding in the demo but then I realized they were just unprofessional. Certainly a shame...I asked questions additionally about culture(do you spend much time in the office as an SE? do you collaborate on PoCs with other security engineers?) and the answers I received were that there is some collaboration on PoCs but "if you're not in the office, you're not doing your job." That was enough for me. I have a colleague that works in a different office where the environment has a better culture I've been told(and I've met a couple of the people in the other office that validates his claim). I professionally thanked them with a handshake. I thanked them for the opportunity and heard back the next day that they would be passing onto other SE candidates(which was fine).

Takeaways:
    1.) The SE hire req is actually Sales Engineer(not Security) when you get into the interviewing. I'm concerned that someone taking this job is going to want to move to another company at some point and not be as desirable technically since SecEng is a bit of a reach from what I've seen.(which may be why the req is open)

2.) The management client(Smart Console) requires Windows. Appears it was developed in Visual C++(not Java for portability). There is a lot of potential here for their market if they could re-gear for portability.

3.) I like their product from a mgmt standpoint(not much experience with their hardware) and the gateway/management server is built on Linux which I like. I'll probably stay an investor and look for potential roles that are more technical(not sales).