Check Point Software Technologies Reviews | Glassdoor

3.1
Check Point Software Technologies Chairman and CEO Gil Shwed
Gil Shwed

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "Free lunch as long as you stay under the limit" (in 45 reviews)

• "I got to travel and kept a work-life balance" (in 20 reviews)

Cons
  • "Low salary relative to the IT market" (in 53 reviews)

• "No work life balance & little appreciation for hard work" (in 10 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Check Point"

Current Employee - Director in San Carlos, CA
    Current Employee - Director in San Carlos, CA

I have been working at Check Point Software Technologies full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Great technology, company trying to re-invent itself and capture more market share.

Cons

Occasional cross-cultural challenges like any global company. Less than most.

Advice to Management

Keep innovating and continue to enable the sales force to be successful.

2. "In the past 4 months, I have really become attached to Check Point."

Current Employee - Security Engineer in San Carlos, CA
    Current Employee - Security Engineer in San Carlos, CA

I have been working at Check Point Software Technologies full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great work environment, Great Manager, Great daily activities.

Cons

Marketing is not a priority, it’s an afterthought. This makes it tough to get our name out to customers. We have lots of good products that no one knows about.

Advice to Management

Great job training your managers. My boss is great, his boss is great. This is only the second time (in 25 yrs) I have worked in a company that has this good of a management team. But please put more effort into marketing.

3. "High on engineering, security and stability"

Current Employee - Security Engineer
    Current Employee - Security Engineer

I have been working at Check Point Software Technologies full-time

Pros

Great training, collaborative team, excellent areas to excel.

Cons

Pay is sub market, there will be travel (con for me).

4. "Sap Licensing Specialist"

I worked at Check Point Software Technologies full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great people to work with
    Easy to talk to managers
    Training provided
    Team building events
    Food provided by company

Cons

Pay is low
    Pay raises are very low
    Not much room for advancement

5. "watch your back"

I worked at Check Point Software Technologies full-time

Pros

Great product that is respected by the business world.

Cons

When a peer is promoted over you if they feel you are a threat they will make life miserable and do everything they can including making up complaints that they refuse to share with you just to get you fired.

Advice to Management

Get all sides of the story and really investigate why a manager wants to fire someone. Sometimes it's for selfish personal reasons.

6. "Cloudy with a chance of bad results"

I worked at Check Point Software Technologies full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Check Point has a strong legacy and outstanding balance sheet!

Cons

Check Point has lost talent, edge, and is playing defense.

Advice to Management

CEO and CFO need to be more aggressive. Check Point is internally focused and needs to stop buying back shares and invest! Invest in marketing, emerging security spaces, and acquire a company that will change the talk track with Infosec leaders.

"GREAT PEOPLE, Management needs to follow suite"

Current Employee - Account Executive in Reston, VA
    Current Employee - Account Executive in Reston, VA

I have been working at Check Point Software Technologies full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Everyone at Check Point is great to work with, they are there because they care (-the managers). Product had been a leader in the security field but is falling behind quickly.
    OH, and free lunch if you keep it under $8.00

Cons

PAM is taking Check Points market away quickly.
     Check Point does not want to spend marketing dollars and is out of touch with the market and comp.
    Checkpoint marketing plan is to give away a 15cent laptop camera cover. All marketing budgets has been cut. $000 current marketing budge cut by 30% = WHAT?
    Check Point has managers that became managers at Check Point or that came to the company after failing at the company they left.
    Check Point first cut home internet for remote home offices and has not cut cell phone expense for the sales team.

Advice to Management

Treat your employees like the valuable product they are
    Learn that if you don't want to market with the big boys, don't wonder why market share continues it's down hill slide.
    Stop bringing in managers that couldn't manage at the place they just failed at.
    Take a little of that money you have in the bank and invest in the company. Not just the CEO's personal bank account.

"I should have believed the reviews"

I worked at Check Point Software Technologies full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good technology and innovation in their products

Cons

I started last year when there was a huge amount of change going on. I read the reviews and for some reason, I ignored them. I was assured by my manager, and his manager that things were changing for the better. It started off pretty bad, and never really changed. They say over and over they really care about their employees, but even with the most generous consideration of the policies they push out, or the way they talk to employees, I was never able to believe that.

They are so focused on profitability and putting money in the bank, that they've forgotten about the creators of those profits. You sometimes have to spend money on marketing, partners and employees to fuel growth. Instead, you get a company that is growing at a fraction of its peers, has big cash reserves, and spends money on stock buybacks vs. investing in growth.

Over the last year, I've had at least 5 or 6 people reach out to me asking if this is a place they should work, and I've had to tell all of them to stay away. Here were some of the points I mentioned.

- The pay is much lower than the industry by a huge margin.
    - The training you get as a new employee is an absolute joke! Not even 1/10th of what you will need!
    - I've never been at a company with so many channel and sales people who are not earning a commission check at all.
    - There have been so many people quitting, that many around you are new, and they all suffer from the same lack of even basic training.
    - They do not seem to have a focus on the small to mid-sized customers, so those customers are leaving at a furious pace; it's all about the huge enterprise customers
    - Your quota may be a million dollars for the quarter, but they will micro-manage a 10K deal that is pending.
    - Regarding the product, they do have a great product, but so do other providers. They think that prospective customers really care about every single detail you can spit out, yet all the other companies out there also have their own list of details.
    -They have almost no marketing presence which drives customers to you proactively.
    -They have very few incentives for the partner community where others like Palo Alto and Fortinet reward their partners quite a bit. With that, you will see very few if any leads from the partners.
    - The channel strategy is to recruit as many partners as possible without thinking of what value they may bring to the table. The result is nothing more than one partner cannibalizing another but no real growth happens

Advice to Management

Read the reviews and understand that doing business in Tel Aviv, is nothing like doing business in North America, EMEA or elsewhere. Get the regions input before you make a drastic change like assigning quota out of the blue to the the channel.

9. "SE"

Pros

Good culture, stability, market leader

Cons

Massive product portfolio. Hard to be an expert on all the products.

Advice to Management

Get back to basics

"Technical Support Advisor"

Former Employee - Technical Support Advisor in Irving, TX
    Former Employee - Technical Support Advisor in Irving, TX

I worked at Check Point Software Technologies full-time (More than a year)

Pros

-Lunch is covered by up to ~$8.00 every day
    -You can work as much overtime as you like
    -Flexible PTO
    -Personal growth (promote within)
    -Travel opportunities, mainly Canada and Israel if you are a Technical Support Advisor (company provides means of compensation)
    -Upper level management is very understanding and ask for you to share your thoughts/ideas with them
    -All product team managers are very understanding and easy to get along with
    -You have the ability to expand your product knowledge by attending training- after your shift or during the work day, depending on the subject.
    -Happy Hour once a month (no alcohol) with great food and drinks/deserts.
    -One big cake per month for to recognize birthdays and service anniversaries
    -Yearly raises/bonuses
    -Depending on how you treat others, it's like one big family

Cons

-High stress levels
    -Workload is way too high
    -Under staffed
    -Turnover rate
    -Under paid by a large margin (~ $20-$30k)

Advice to Management

-Keep leading by example
    -Push for raises from management in Israel or the turnover rate will never slow down; ultimately costing the company more money in regards to training.