Clif Bar Interview Questions | Glassdoor

2.9

Sort:

Planner Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Emeryville, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Clif Bar (Emeryville, CA) in March 2016.

Interview

A couple hour long phone interviews, followed by a half day interview process, with 10 different people onsite. No breaks were offered to me the entire time I was there.

I thought the interviews went very well, and that they were going to offer me a job. That feeling was reinforced when I received an email from HR about a week after the interviews, asking to set up a phone call with me the following day. Naturally I thought they were calling so that we could discuss an offer. However, the call came and I was told that the team decided they were looking for someone with more CPG experience. They clearly knew what kind of experience I had prior to them calling me in for a half day interview process! I was completely floored that HR set up a phone appointment with me, just to reject me. I talked to a few different friends in HR and they all agreed, no one does that! That blunder on their part totally negated the positive experience I had leading up to that point. If they had sent a nice "thanks but no thanks" email, I would have given this a positive review. But to allow someone to think that they were going to be offered a job (because, come on...who wouldn't?) and then call with a rejection is just lame!

Interview Questions

• What does humility mean to you?   1 Answer

May 20, 2016 – Recruiter

Thank you for your feedback. Candidate experience is important to us and I apologize that you had a negative experience interviewing at Clif Bar. We are committed to making changes to our recruiting... More

Internship Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Emeryville, CA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Clif Bar (Emeryville, CA) in March 2018.

Interview

I heard about this internship from a student organization at my college. After applying, it took a couple weeks until I got an email for a 30 minute phone screen. Questions were mostly about myself and Clif Bar's company culture, so definitely be familiar with their "5 ingredients." The next day I got an email for a second phone interview. It went well but I didn't hear from them for at least a week. After emailing them to follow-up on my interviews, I was told I'd hear back from them by March 30, or the following week. It is currently April 18 and I haven't heard from them since.

You would think after 2 interviews they would at least send a rejection email. Although both interviewers were lovely, I have moved on by now.

Interview Questions

Clif Bar Response

Apr 30, 2018 – Recruiter

Thank you for your interest in an Internship with Clif Bar. We are sorry to hear your candidate experience wasn’t exactly what it should have been. We try our best to make sure follow up... More

Inventory Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Emeryville, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Clif Bar (Emeryville, CA) in January 2016.

Interview

Very professional and organized with prompt communication. Everyone I met was very friendly and personable and made me feel very welcome during the in-person interview. The interview itself was a day long affair, with multiple meetings with small groups of 2 to 3 people. A tour of the office was included. Before the in person interview, I had 2 phone interviews, both of which were standard. The standout during the whole process was the recruiter/HR contact--they were great at keeping me updated on the process.

Interview Questions

• They asked about my volunteering activities and other basic interview questions. Pretty straightforward. I got the feeling fitting in with their culture was a very important aspect for them. So being involved with volunteering and outdoor activities.   1 Answer

Intern Interview

Anonymous Employee in Boulder, CO

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Clif Bar (Boulder, CO).

Interview

The interview process was for an intern position which may vary for the larger company. I had 2 interviews before being hired. The first was in person, second over the phone. I found that they are looking for someone specific embodying such qualities as being engaging, honest, intelligent and creative.

Interview Questions

• The most difficult question asked was about past experience in marketing as I had none. They want to make sure you are able to perform at a high level for them while delivering their message.   Answer Question

Marketing Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Orlando, FL

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Clif Bar (Orlando, FL).

Interview

2 phone interviews, an in person interview, followed by 3 hour onsite in California with multiple people. The experience up to the onsite interviews went well. HQ interviews were extremely cold and elitist, I was made to feel unqualified (which I may have been) and spoken down to. The first group of interviews did not have a clear idea of how the interview should go, they asked me if I knew what I was supposed to be doing. They told me to just start talking and they would ask questions at the end. I had a long presentation so at the end each of them asked 2 questions which I answered thoroughly. The questions did not relate to my experience they were basic demographic questions. (who are clifs competitors, what is an up and coming company that i like, what property's in the region should they acquire to ensure success) I was told twice I talk too much, once directly to me and once when I was switching interviews to the next person, the interviewer that said I talked too much told the next person that came in to interview me that I talked a lot.
    Prior to arriving at the Clif Bar HQ I sent my presentation with resume and not one person had reviewed it prior to me coming. None of the questions really pertained directly to me or my experience, they were boxed questions with very little thought put into them. I did not feel I was able to really expand on my experience. That is partially my fault, after being told I talk too much I didn't feel like I would be listened to anyway.
    Overall had I been offered the job I don't feel I would have taken it based on the experience I had interviewing. The culture that Clif Bar tries to portray is clearly an internal experience, it is not something that was felt as an outsider. With that said they have very little turnover so perhaps once you are indoctrinated into the culture it is a different experience.
    I would recommend if you make it to the onsite interviews you have a prepared speech that clearly highlights your skill set because they will not be able to pull it out from their interview questions.

Interview Questions

• What is a brand that draws out emotion in you that is an up and coming company.   1 Answer
    • who do you think are clif bars competitors   Answer Question
    • Give an example of a time that you had to think on the fly when it comes to marketing?   Answer Question

Training Manager Interview

Application

The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Clif Bar.

Interview

Received a rejection 2 months after applying. My advice to the company would be to skip sending rejection letters if you can’t send them in a timely manner. Your competition is providing a better candidate experience than you are. My current company sends rejection letters within one week of application or interview. Candidates want to be kept up to date. It would be a better experience to not receive a decline communication than to receive one two months later! At two months a candidate has probably forgotten about you. To pop back into their radar two months later with a rejection letter is laughable. It goes against your published company values that your candidates not only read but are asked to submit several essay answers on.

Interview Questions

Clif Bar Response

Apr 30, 2018 – Recruiter

We are so sorry to hear that you didn’t have a great candidate experience with Clif Bar. We are big proponents of following up with our applicants in a timely manner as well and we try to keep to... More

Accounts Payable Specialist Interview

Anonymous Employee in Boise, ID

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at Clif Bar (Boise, ID) in June 2012.

Interview

They emailed me back shortly after I emailed my resume. There was an automatic reply that came through twice after I had already scheduled an interview that was kind of confusing.

Sales Director Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Oakland, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Clif Bar (Oakland, CA) in March 2012.

Interview

Phone Screen followed by full day of interviews.

Interview Questions

• Asked financial questions about a former employer   1 Answer

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Clif Bar in August 2015.

Interview

The interview process was a rigorous one, mostly because it's such a desirable company to work for, so the competition is intense. I made sure to convey tons of excitement and put my nerves to the side. I practiced a lot in preparation for the interview.

Project Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Emeryville, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Clif Bar (Emeryville, CA) in April 2017.

Interview

The process started with a recruiter contacting me and having a short discussion. This was followed by a phone Interview with another Recruiter/HR. The next stage was a phone interview with the Hiring Manager.
    There were two In-person rounds.
    The first round was an In-Person interview with 5 people and the second was a case study interview.

The process was really smooth. It took an overall 3 months from the first touch-point to the offer letter. The recruiting team ensures that they provide regular update throughout the process. The timelines provided are realistic and that really help in calming the candidate's nerves.
    A lot of focus is on ensuring the cultural fit at CB&C