Coanda Research & Development Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Coanda Research & Development Interview Questions

3.5

Interviews for Top Jobs at Coanda Research & Development

Research Engineer (Burnaby, B C ) Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Burnaby, BC (Canada)

Application

I applied online. The process took 6+ months. I interviewed at Coanda Research & Development (Burnaby, BC (Canada)) in January 2015.

Interview

This company has one of the highest hiring standards that I have heard of. This is not bad at all, but makes it kind of tough to get there even for an interview. Since they are kind of a "local" company, based out of Burnaby, B.C. it is fair to say that being a graduate from UBC, either from an undergrad or grad program is going to give you a little bit of a fair advantage.

The interview process is elaborated and I will describe how it went for me:

1) Typical online application where you send a detailed resume/cover letter to a HR email address. Owing to the kind of specialized work they do there, I would say that make sure that your background fits perfectly, otherwise you won't get beyond this stage. I have friend that did MSc/PhD in the area, sent their applications there and didn't pass the resume review filter.

2) If you pass the previous, luckily I did, the second stage is the typical phone interview. 3 weeks after submitting my resume via email, they sent me an email and gave me a the option of scheduling an interview. They had a few options available, so I picked the one that was 10 days after receiving the email.

The phone interview was standard, some personality questions about what would you do in certain situation or how would you react to this scenario. It was 15-20 minutes short and was conducted by a psychologist. The interviewer was very polite, prepared and easy going. No technical questions whatsoever at this point. After this, they told me that they would be selecting a pool of 10 candidates or so to move to the next stage based on the personality profile obtained from these questions and what they want to see in their potential employees.

3) I passed the phone interview stage and 15 days later I received an email asking for my availability for a 1 hour Skype interview. This interview was conducted by one of their office managers, an engineer with grad studies in the area and about 15 years experience in the field. However, this interview was very similar to the previous one. No major technical questions asked and was mostly yo check if you were a good fit within the company culture and met their standards. Make sure that you are well prepared for this, because I found the manager very picky about the technical details. Even though I offered to go to their office in person, they declined and preferred to conduct the interview via Skype.

4) After this stage, if you have managed to survive then you would be having the chance of a face-to-face interview. They tell you from the beginning that it will be a 4h panel interview with two of their managers and a senior employee. The informed me that I was selected for this interview 21 days after the Skype interview.

During these 4 hours you are given a quick tour of their facilities and a brief overview about the different projects that they have worked on. This consumes 15-20 min of the 4 hour period. Then, they start the interview which is first a 10-15 min questioning process related to field applications. After that it was a 2:30 hours process that involved a wide array of different questions in the topic of fluid dynamics. I cannot explain them all here, but I have to say that it was the toughest technical interview that I have had in my life. It requires you to be really solid in your stuff, think quickly and be calm. My suggestion here is arrive early, have a good night sleep and do a quick review about fluid mechanics materials before you get there. All in all, it was a great learning process.

5) The last step would be a technical presentation in front a group of future co-workers. This presentation is about a specific advanced topic in the field of fluid mechanics. The presentation should have a length of 35-40 min followed by a 15-20 min session of questions from the people there. I cannot describe much about this step because I was not selected for it, but they had the courtesy of describing it to me. I was informed that I wouldn't be part of the last group of candidates around 3 weeks after the panel interview.

To summarize, this is a 5-stage interview process that takes an extended period of time and encompasses a lot of interviews, so if you have a solid job offer and you have not reached any the previous stages, I would seriously consider the other offer. Even though they seem to be like a very nice company to work for (they do true R&D), they are also very strict and take their sweet time to advance the hiring process. I cannot say anything about the salary, since I didn't discuss anything related to that, but probably would be fair, considering that greater Vancouver can be very expensive.

Interview Questions

• Describe a difficult situation in the office, related to interpersonal relationships, and how you dealt with it.   Answer Question

Student Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Burnaby, BC (Canada)

Application

The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Coanda Research & Development (Burnaby, BC (Canada)) in May 2010.

Interview

Applied for job and received a phone interview within a week. The phone interview was relatively short; consisted of a few standard personal questions, such as past experience, soft skills, attitude and intentions about work. It also had a fw hard skill questions, they asked a few relevant conceptual questions pertaining to their industry. Company was nice, had a relaxed but efficient atmosphere. Friendly and close-knit employees and management.

Interview Questions

• Conceptually, describe what the Reynolds number is and why it is useful.   1 Answer