Cobham Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Jul 6, 2017

3.2

Supplier Quality Engineer III Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Diego, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Cobham (San Diego, CA) in July 2017.

Interview

The first step in the process, was contact from a Talent Recruiter that sent me a questionnaire with several questions related to my job experience. After a day, or two, I received an appointment for a phone interview with the hiring manager. The phone interview lasted around 45 minutes, and touched upon my experience relative to the opportunity. Within a day of the phone interview, I received an appointment for an in-person panel interview.

Then the process got a little unusual.

The panel interview consisting of the hiring manager, two other QE's, an intern, and a member of the supply chain. There were some meaningful situational questions asked, but the the two QE's otherwise dominated the interview with non-value added questioning that made the process more like an episode of "Who Want's To Be A Millionaire".

I left the interview with a somewhat awkward feeling, and some discouragement, because the line of questioning mostly stole away from the chance to discuss my abilities and situational experiences. Even the Supply Chain person commented that she felt she was taking an SAT.

They were the kinds of questions that one would expect for an entry level candidate, and not a tenured engineer with 12 years of manufacturing experience.

Interview Questions

• What is the difference in the supplier document requirements between AS9100C, and AS9100D?

How does a company that's ISO 9001 certified fail an internal audit?

What does MIL-STD-883, Method 5011 say?

Which method of the MIL 883 standard address microcircuits?

What is the difference between the MIL-STD-883 and -750?

Which alloys are used in an eutectic die attach process?

What is the reflow temperature in an eutectic die attach process?

What is the melting point temperature in an eutectic die attach process?   1 Answer

Cobham Graduate Development Program Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Cobham in May 2017.

Interview

I applied online and got an email for an on-demand video interview and two online assessment tests. one was verbal and other was numerical reasoning test. still waiting on the video interview result. Experience was interesting

Interview Questions

• Talk about how you solved a difficult problem while working on a group project   Answer Question

Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Cobham (San Diego, CA).

Interview

Phone screen goes first! You will have a 1:1 with the Hiring Manager to assess your knowledge. Next a panel interview wiht 3-5 participants. You present for about 20 minutes and then will be asked additional behavioral questions. You will now pretty quickly if you are selected or not!

Interview Questions

• For supervisors and above you will be asked to create a power point presentation about you! You are given the questions!   1 Answer

Process Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Jose, CA

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Cobham (San Jose, CA) in April 2017.

Interview

Phase #1: Phone interview with a recruiter to discuss company, available position(s), professional/personal background, and overall interest level.

Phase #2: Phone Interview with team lead to elaborate on the specifics of the position. Various logic and behavioral tests.

Phase #3: On-site (one-on-one) interviews with members of engineering team/HR. Here it seemed they were looking for a more technical knowledge base and demonstration of a skill set that would be a good match for the position (looking for fundamentals).

Very positive experience. Everyone I met with was friendly, knowledgeable, and clearly enjoyed working there.

Interview Questions

• Address a mating issue between a part and its housing: try and pinpoint the possible defect using reasoning. Describe in as much detail as possible how you would approach solving the problem.   Answer Question

Production Supervisor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Diego, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Cobham (San Diego, CA) in February 2017.

Interview

3 person panel, 30 minutes of scenario behavioral type questions. The interview was in Sorrento Valley at the Lucas Group bldg. Very professional setup and preparation process. Very happy with the interviewers and their treatment of me.

Program Management Office Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Davenport, IA

Application

I applied online. The process took 6+ weeks. I interviewed at Cobham (Davenport, IA) in January 2017.

Interview

Interview process:
    * HR phone screen
    * Hiring manager 30-min phone screen
    * 1 hour online test at home
    * Onsite meeting
      - view 12 minute visitor video
      - 30 min meeting with HR rep: benefit overview and timed Wonderlic test
      - 5 member panel interview (1+ hrs)
      - did not get onsite tour as mentioned

2 1/2 weeks later I withdrew my application based on silence from HR (no word on whether I did/did not make the cut). I moved on with other opportunities.

I agree with previous reviews that the panel was relentless in asking questions one after the other. Less confident candidates may feel intimidated.

Interview Questions

• All questions were around the typical topics of project management - i.e. scope, risk, issue management. Asked for examples of projects that went awry, course correction, and lessons learned.   Answer Question

Electronics Technician Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Cobham (San Diego, CA) in September 2016.

Interview

First, there was a writing exam to test your knowledge about electronics concepts. Then you will asked about your answers. After that you will be have a general interview about your resume. Then, you will be test on Microscope.

Interview Questions

• Why did you decide to leave your work ?   1 Answer

Planner Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Davenport, IA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Cobham (Davenport, IA) in July 2016.

Interview

Multiple phone interviews. Hour long test that had to be done at home. Finally had onsite interview. Had to take another test once there. People were very nice. Interview was very structured. Way to many steps involved just to get to onsite interview.

Supervisor Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Cobham (New York, NY) in July 2016.

Interview

One hour on phone with recruiter. Half hour phone interview with hiring manager. Hour panel interview with hiring manager and next 2 levels face to face. The whole process took a couple months. More so due to hiring spurt going on, and all parties availability face to face. Found it to be very fair process with questions you would expect and STAR interview technique.

Interview Questions

• Ethics, lean methodology and proving out you are a true team player were important so they care about the culture they evolve to from who they are hiring.   Answer Question

Electrical Engineer I Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Diego, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Cobham (San Diego, CA).

Interview

The interview at Cobham for an entry level electrical engineering position (Electrical Engineer I) turned out to be alarming. This is a company that is only looking for the smartest of the smart.

The interview lasted about five hours with six different people in a large office. I spent about 30 to 45 minutes with each person during which they asked me questions ranging from VERY technical to moderate.

Person 1: The first person I met was VERY knowledgeable in microwave transmission technology. He seemed to be a higher up who has had years of practice. This man was a gentlemen, but he GRILLED me. In summary, he asked me to draw a Smith Chart from memory, identify the input and output of a Widlar Mirror, use resistors to adjust the gain of a BJT operational amplifier, use relationships and equations to derive the intrinsic gain of that op amp circuit and many more questions of that nature. It's worth noting that I graduated a year before this interview and have been working in the engineering field, so even though I studied all these topics I was not expecting to have this material come up with such demand in the interview.

Person 2: The second person who interviewed me was closer to his retirement years. He looked at my resume and told me that my six years of auto technician experience was irrelevant for this position. After looking at the academic side of my resume he asked me about my senior project. I happily explained the entire project to him in detail. From how our proximity sensors interfaced with our micro- controller to the code we used. Needless to say he didn't seem impressed, but I took that as an interview tactic and brushed it off.

Person 3: This man was an Electrical Engineer at Cobham who was also more on the technical side. During a tour that I will go into more detail later, there was a picture of him under a board that recognized outstanding achievements. He was first place. He gave me a written exam that was three pages long that I answered well. It was an exam on finding gain, a specific wavelength from a smith chart, as well as more simple questions like the ideal input impedance of an op amp.

Person 4: The fourth gentlemen who walked into the large office was the same guy who I had my previous two phone interviews with. The whole reason why I was there that day was because he thought I was good enough so I was happy to finally meet him in person. He gave me a tour around the facility which consisted of different buildings depending on what department you would be working in. One building for engineering, one for administration, etc. Unfortunately, he did hit me with some technical questions that I was unable to answer.

Person 5: This man was very friendly and was more interested in how responsible, discipline, and on task I can be rather than how much technical knowledge I knew at the moment. We found out that we had the same professors at SDSU and spent the majority of our interview time talking about that. It was a nice break from the intense grilling process.

Person 6: The last person was a kind lady from HR. She asked me the classic interview questions such as, "Give me an example of how you handle stress?" and "What is your take on team work?" etc. She also informed me about the job benefits and work hours. This encouraged me because it made me think I had an edge on getting the job. Later, I found out I was wrong.

In conclusion, if you apply for ANY engineering position at Cobham, please go back and review your old text books and notes thoroughly. They asked me questions that were on the final exam of some of my classes so you have to take it THAT seriously. These are questions that I would not expect a student straight out of college would know off the top of their heads so I feel that the job title was a bit mislabeled. I say this because I had already been working in the electrical engineering field for a year prior to this interview.

Interview Questions

• Explain the circuit topology for a Butterworth and Chebyshev Filter?   Answer Question
    • How can we derive an inverting operational amplifier transfer function?   Answer Question
    • Implement a multistage differential amplifier circuit.   Answer Question