Coffman Engineers Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Interviews at Coffman Engineers

2.3

1. Featured Interview

Anonymous Employee in Anchorage, AK

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Coffman Engineers (Anchorage, AK) in July 2019.

Interview

Very Convenient and Thorough. I moved to Anchorage from the lower 48, which made me wonder if it would be more difficult to find work immediately. Coffman made me feel like this was not an issue in the slightest. I was interviewed by the HR Representative and the Department manager at Coffman in Anchorage. The HR gal is one of the best I have ever met. Extremely;y knowledgeable. The interview was very comfortable and friendly. They were up front about what expectations were and what the company strategy and plan is. I enjoyed the interview greatly.

Interview Questions

• I was asked about previous experience and what programs I had worked in. They asked me to describe situations and work from other jobs.   Answer Question

Fire Protection Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 6 weeks. I interviewed at Coffman Engineers (San Diego, CA) in November 2019.

Interview

The interview was pretty casual but it was a bit of an unusual situation because I hadn't officially applied yet. After about 10 minutes of 1:1 I was given a tour of the office and introduced to some of the other engineers. The online application came after the interview and about 6 weeks after the initial interview I received an offer.

Interview Questions

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Coffman Engineers in April 2019.

Interview

It was a brain drain process, very unprofessional approach behaviour. I spent over 8 hours on phone with them and also visited them before they made me an offer.
    They took me for granted after salary negotiation and didn't want to reply after several emails, calls, follow up texts till I went up higher up in the chain to get them to reply.

Interview Questions

• Only a few technical questions, but all sorts of personal questions and for hours together. I was in need of a job badly and wanted to be polite about answering.   Answer Question

Fire Protection Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bozeman, MT

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Coffman Engineers (Bozeman, MT).

Interview

Applied online and heard back within one week. Had two in person interviews and one skype interview. Mostly just typical interview questions and they want to make sure you understand what the position is. Overall it was a great interview experience, however, when they told me I did not get the job it was an email from the secretary at 5:15 on a Friday so I did not have the opportunity to ask to speak with one of the people I actually interviewed with.

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to go into fire protection engineering?   Answer Question

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 days. I interviewed at Coffman Engineers.

Interview

The process was great, very efficient and comfortable. I applied, was called the following business day, and interviewed the day after. The process began with the woman whose position I would be replacing; she was super welcoming and inviting. The questions she asked ranged from run-of-the-mill background to more personal questions to help gauge if I’d be a good fit for company culture. Afterwards we were joined by other senior staff members.
    The biggest impression on me throughout the interview was how much these people loved the company. They spoke very sincerely of how highly they thought of the leadership. And it wasn’t a show; to this day (spoiler: I took the job) the employees express almost daily the great appreciation they have for Coffman Engineers.
    The remainder of the interview went quickly. I don’t feel like I spoke much during the last portion, it was more the principal relaying information of the firm. It was a great introduction to Coffman.

Internship Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Spokane, WA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Coffman Engineers (Spokane, WA).

Interview

First round was a large group split into smaller groups and going from person to person with either tours, mini interview, question time. From that process they selected a few for a second interview on a later date.

Electrical Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Coffman Engineers (Seattle, WA) in March 2018.

Interview

Walked in, they gave me a quick tour of the company and history, as well as what they do. had a 30 min interview. They explained very detailed of the company goals and how things work.

Senior Structural Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Coffman Engineers (Seattle, WA) in February 2018.

Interview

This firm is one I would never apply for. They are run by complete idiots. You will be forced to fill out additional forms and you will not ever get an interview even though I already filled out the basic form online. The reason they do this is so they can recruit your references. Their HR person told me I was not even qualified to be a structural engineer in California even though I am licensed as one. Then they have the audacity to repost the opening again. The reason I think Coffman Engineers does this is for free consulting. When I asked the HR person why I was not qualified, she could not even explain it. Heck, their HR people are so stupid they would screw over applicants who hep their own family members.

Interview Questions

• There were no unusual questions because they lied about the job opening to begin with.   Answer Question

Coffman Engineers Response

Feb 16, 2018 – President

I’m sorry to hear that you had a bad experience interviewing with Coffman. This surprises me because we work really hard at making sure we are respectful of our candidate’s time and only ask for the information we need to help us make good hiring decisions. We haven’t had a Senior Structural Engineer opening in the Seattle office in over 15 months, so it is difficult to understand where the communication breakdown happened. You must have interviewed in one of our California offices and just mentioned our corporate office in your response. Either way, I’d really like to hear more about this so feel free to contact me directly at 509-328-2994. Dave Ruff - President

Anonymous Employee in Bozeman, MT

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Coffman Engineers (Bozeman, MT) in May 2017.

Interview

Coffman has an extended interview process, but I was told upfront that it would be lengthy and was given a timetable of when to expect follow-up and an answer. I had 2 interviews in which I was given a good description of what my responsibilities would be. I was given the opportunity to ask questions and was also given a good description of what the company did. Since I'd never worked with engineers before I liked that they followed through and asked what my experience was but that they also reassured me that I didn't need an engineering-office background. I also remember it being one of the most casual and comfortable interviews I'd ever been to. Right off the bat I could tell that the 2 managers I was seeing were down to earth guys. They shared their hobbies with me and their weekend plans. I felt comfortable and welcomed.

Interview Questions

• They asked me pretty standard questions:
      What is your background in? Were there any special skills I could bring to the table? Did I enjoy fast-paced environments? How did I feel about customer service? Why did I want to leave my current job? When could I start?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bozeman, MT

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Coffman Engineers (Bozeman, MT) in February 2017.

Interview

I'm not going to lie, I always get a little nervous in interviews. I like to go prepared by talking myself through potential questions, researching the company, knowing the background of the managers I'm talking with (if possible), and going in dressed for success.
    Because Coffman has locations in a few different states, my interview process started with a phone interview. At that time I spoke with the person who would have been my direct supervisor as well as a manager from a different state who would have played an important part in my training and job success. The phone interview was very straightforward. I thought both mangers were very be down-to-earth people, they laughed, they were expressive and they both seemed to love what they do. Both of them were easy to talk to, they explained their roles in the company, they explained the position in detail and they even shared a little about their background and personality. I found it very easy to ask questions to make sure I felt like I fit the role. Overall, both managers demonstrated very good communication and answered a variety of excellent questions without me even having to ask.
    The second part of the interview was in person with 2 supervisors and again one person on the phone. I noticed the office was small but organized, their attire was relaxed and casual, their demeanor was friendly and they didn't ask typical interview questions (describe a situation at your last job where you... tell us about your weaknesses... tell us about a time you disagreed with your manager...). I guess that's what I most enjoyed about the interview. Their interview process was very personalized and often reflected back to the position, their company, and their culture. They described a situation that I might come across if hired and ask how I would handle it or address it.
    I left with a great impression and still believe it was one of the best interviews I've ever had in my life.

Interview Questions

• They asked about Human Resources and Onboarding, document prep, billing, and my approach on customer service.   Answer Question