Cognex Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Aug 17, 2017

2.8

Embedded Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Portland, OR

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Cognex (Portland, OR).

Interview

A recruiter called, had in-person meeting with his recruiting team. I received relatively easy coding questions in email to finish. I finished it with no issues. A few days later had phone screening with the hiring manager for 45 minutes talking mostly about what I have done and some basic technical questions.

The person use speaker phone causing some echo on his voice, but later blamed me for his difficulty hearing me talking.

I enjoyed the on-paper coding questions, though. A positive experience for me.

Interview Questions

• How do you debug embedded system and what tools to you?   Answer Question

Senior Financial Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Natick, MA

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. I interviewed at Cognex (Natick, MA) in July 2017.

Interview

Had an initial phone interview prior to the in- person with the Finance Supervisor. In-person interview was with Finance Supervisor, Finance Director, & Director of FP&A. Met w/ each indiviually.

Each asked some standard questions to start off. All but one interviewer engaged in dialogue and it flowed more like a conversation. One interviewer would immediately ask another question right after I answered, tough to get a feel for if I was providing adequate info/examples

Interview Questions

• What are some of your likes and dislikes about prior management styles?   1 Answer
    • Can you provide an example of a time you made a process improvement and discuss the steps you took?   1 Answer
    • What are you looking for in your career? Where do you see yourself in 2, 5, or 10 yrs?   1 Answer
    • How comfortable are you working with different business leaders? Typically how many business leaders do you work with? Provide some examples of working w/ business leaders.   1 Answer

Marketing Manager Interview

Application

The process took a week. I interviewed at Cognex.

Interview

I had a call with their recruiter and they fast tracked me in for an in-person, skipping over another phone interview with the hiring manager. I met with two employees and was actually approached about two different positions rather than just the one I was originally interested in.

The first man I met with seemed skeptical about the experience I was bringing to the table and when asking how much I'd like in terms of salary, he made it pretty clear that he didn't think I was worth that much. I couldn't help but wonder if he responded this way because I am a woman.... he just seemed to be talking down to me for the majority of the conversation.

The second man I met with was much more enthusiastic and professional. He liked my experience and we had a really nice chat. He also was able to really communicate how great Cognex is as a company. I could tell he loved what he does.

The first man I met with then concluded the interview and had me walk out of the building by myself.. I had been brought to a second building so I had to find my way through the campus, back to reception to get my coat. I actually had to ask a janitor to guide me because there were locked doors I had to go through. The receptionist shook her head when she saw I was by myself, then told me it is protocol to escort people back.

When I got home I actually felt quite alienated. I didn't receive an offer but I would say it's for the best.

Content Writer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Natick, MA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Cognex (Natick, MA) in March 2017.

Interview

I applied to a online ad and received a call from the in-house recruiter. After passing muster, I had an interview with 5 people from the team. Then I was assigned a writing project and was brought back for a second round. The team was very cordial and professional. All the questions were relevant and I never felt pressured.

Unlike many companies, they sent me an email to let me know that they decided to select another candidate. I probably put 20 hours in preparing for the two sets of interviews and developing the writing sample and presentation. But it was worth it. Cognex is a class-act from A-Z. Great work for people who can get it.

Interview Questions

• It was not a behavioral interview, but one based on the candidates knowledge and experience. No tricks here. They really wanted to get to know the candidate.   Answer Question

Marketing Content Writer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Natick, MA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Cognex (Natick, MA) in March 2017.

Interview

The first time I applied for this role, I got rejected by the ATS (Applicant Tracking System) out of hand the very next day! I even had a friend of mine who works there bring over my resume to the hiring manager. But no luck, and not even a phone screen.

However, after a few weeks I discovered that the job was still open. My friend had told me that the job had been open for months.

So the next time, I used LinkedIn to establish a connection with the in-house recruiter. I made a strong case with them as to why I'd be a great candidate for the role. They agreed and set up a phone screen with the hiring manager.

The hiring manager and I hit it off swimmingly over the phone. We seemed to be on the same page about a great many things when it came to marketing communications content writing. I had spent probably 6+ hours preparing for the phone screen.

It paid off in terms of being asked to do a writing assignment. Which I knew I could ace. Another poster here, who probably interviewed for the same job, had to go through a round of in-person interviews (with five staff members) and then they were handed the writing assignment. That seems a little backwards to me. They spend about 20 hours preparing for the interviews and the writing assignment but was not offered the job.

Anyway, I spent over 14 hours working on this writing assignment: a wire-service-ready press release and a convention-ready product datasheet.

I over delivered and gave the a comprehensive analysis on an editorial aspect to the writing assignment. I really wanted to impress them!

Ironically, they asked me how I came to know about the company and that's when I mentioned my friend. They told me that they thought that my friend had mentioned someone to them he was recommending for the role, but they didn't know it was me. I am a little surprised because my friend totally referred for the role.

Well, I worked like crazy over the weekend to deliver the writing assignment for Monday morning. And then after a few days I checked in, and instead of hearing that I would be coming in for an actual face-to-face interview, I was told that they had already made someone else an offer!

The in-house recruiter said that the hiring manager was extremely impressed by my writing assignment.

I wrote both the recruiter and the hiring manager a long and professional thank you note. I also tried to make it an 'influence letter' to see if I could convince the hiring manger to bring me on in another capacity or if their new hire didn't work out, to consider offering me the role.

The hiring manger was impressed by my influence letter. She seemed very sincere, kind, and professional with her response. To her credit she did what most hiring managers never do: give feedback instead of a simple "don't let the door hit you on the way out" ding letter!

She said that they had to go with the internal or referred candidate because that person was further along in the interview process!

I've heard all kinds of rejection excuses in my day but that was a new one.

Why bother having me enter the race when someone else was already at the finish line?

I feel that had I wasted a huge amount of time campaigning for this role, having a carrot (i.e. a face-to-face interview) dangled in front of me, all for nothing if they had no intention of actually interviewing me for the position.

It seems a little silly to play such hiring games. If they were totally impressed with my writing assignment, why didn't they put the brakes on the other candidate so that I could come in and catch up to them? And really wow them!

I think it was a waste of their time as well to give me the writing assignment when they were already close to making someone else an offer.

The hiring manger and the in-house recruiting staff need to tune up their hiring practices a bit. There's no reason why this job should have been vacant for months on end; there's no reason to interview a candidate (with five of the staff!) and then give them the writing assignment, and then no offer; and there's no reason to give a great candidate a writing assignment (who thinks they're going to get an in-person interview) only to hire someone else solely because they were further along in the interviewing process.

That's not due diligence; that's inefficient hiring practices. And it's a waste of everybody's time.

I still think Cognex is a great company with great people working there but judging from what I've read here, I don't think anyone from the outside can get hired at this company unless they have some kind of leverage.

I don't know, I could be wrong but this whole process from end-to-end seems like business politics to me and is not in the best interest of the company or the candidates—including the ones they hire.

Interview Questions

• What do you think of the Oxford Comma?   1 Answer

Technician Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Natick, MA

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Cognex (Natick, MA) in February 2017.

Interview

Met with two technical people. They asked me general questions based off my resume. The whole interview lasted around a couple of hours. Was given a brief tour of the facilities. Thought the interview went well, but was turned down anyways.

Technical Support Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Natick, MA

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Cognex (Natick, MA) in February 2017.

Interview

I was contacted by a staffing agency, as I was told I had the most qualifications compared to other applicants for the several online new college grad job postings for which they were recruiting. I met the recruiter in person, and then met had an interview in the company. I toured the facility and asked a few non technical questions, and then brought to a lab bench to test my ability to work on assembly and soldering under a microscope. I agreed to this interview as it represented an entry point to an engineering position in an area in which I really wanted to work--robotics/machine automation.

Interview Questions

• Asked me if I knew how to solder, and nothing technical about my engineering coursework or projects.   1 Answer

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Natick, MA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Cognex (Natick, MA).

Interview

Met with 3 engineers and the manager. Overall it was pretty thorough, covering multi-threading, class design, a mix of C# and C++. Very bright people. Another whiteboard question was to code a program that prints all prime numbers between 1 and1000. There were C++ questions about inheritance and polymorphism, some syntax, for example, given the expression

*x++ = * a ++;

Explain what happens when this gets executed.

Interview Questions

• Write the code for a simple producer-consumer system.   1 Answer

Electrical Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Natick, MA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Cognex (Natick, MA) in December 2016.

Interview

The interview consisted of multiple hour interview with numerous members of staff, each in different areas of the company to see where the candidate would be best fit. The interview contained a presentation which was on a subject of the interviewee's choosing.

Product Marketing Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Natick, MA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Cognex (Natick, MA) in September 2016.

Interview

I applied thru college posting and the process took 2 months. First a phone interview and then 2 more in person, people very friendly and no strange questions.
    After the last interview, never heard again from them.

Interview Questions

• Pretty straight forward and normal interview an some behavioral questions.   Answer Question