Cold Spring Harbor Laboratory Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Cold Spring Harbor Laboratory Interview Questions

Updated Jun 27, 2017

2.6

Technician Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Cold Spring Harbor Laboratory.

Interview

Applied via their website and the PI of the lab reached out to set up a Skype interview. After the Skype interview I was invited for a half-day, in-person interview (9:30 - 1:30). Met everyone in the lab and a 30 minute interview with HR. None of the questions were difficult to answer, just standard interview questions!

Interview Questions

• What were my future plans   1 Answer
    • What was my past research experience   1 Answer
    • What were the findings of my research   Answer Question
    • What was my favorite class during my undergraduate career?   Answer Question
    • Why was I interested in the research they were doing   Answer Question
    • What was I looking for out of the job?   1 Answer

Event Server Interview

Anonymous Employee in Cold Spring Harbor, NY

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Cold Spring Harbor Laboratory (Cold Spring Harbor, NY) in March 2017.

Interview

I met first with a member of Human Resources and then with the head of the Event/catering department. They were both lovely and we just chatted as they filled me in on the job and asked if I had any questions.

Procurement Director Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Cold Spring Harbor Laboratory in October 2016.

Interview

I met with three individuals one-on-one. It was very straight forward, professional and pleasant. I was given my own reserved parking spot which was a nice touch. It is a beautiful campus and the professionalism was apparent. They really treated me as an individual and spoke to me one-on-one rather than doing "panel interviews". The only bad part was not getting the job.

Interview Questions

• Basic questions; no curve balls; why are you looking to leave your existing job, etc...   1 Answer

Admissions Department Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Cold Spring Harbor Laboratory.

Interview

I met with a recruiter from human resources and was interviewed in her office. Then I was escorted to where the position was located and met with employees.

Graduate Student Interview

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Cold Spring Harbor Laboratory.

Interview

Did laboratory rotations in two CSHL labs. Contacted the PIs personally by email to determine if they had a rotation position available. Rotated in both labs for 4 months each, which included designing and executing experiments. At the end of the rotation was assessed on basis of level of hard work in terms of number of hours spent in lab, producing results and scientific aptitude.

Negotiation

Interview

Smooth

Research Technician I Interview

Anonymous Employee in Cold Spring Harbor, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Cold Spring Harbor Laboratory (Cold Spring Harbor, NY) in July 2013.

Interview

I initiated contact with the PI online before sending in my application. The interview was scheduled a little less than a month after I sent the initial email - responses were timely and clear.

During the interview itself, I met with the PI, three post-docs, and the lab manager. I was asked typical questions about my own research interests, and my future plans. I researched the different projects going on the lab beforehand, but was not asked much regarding the specifics.

Everyone I met with was friendly and seemed very comfortable working while I was around. The interview style was somewhat casual, and I felt very relaxed.

Interview Questions

• Please describe how you would prepare a solution of a certain molarity   1 Answer

Research Assistant Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Cold Spring Harbor Laboratory.

Interview

Ask me to write some matlab programs and I did it, then they ask me to take a three months rotation, after I finish this rotation, I get an formal offer from the lab and start working there. The interview is pretty easy, it is important you work hard during the rotation.

Interview

I took an unusual approach and initiated the conversation myself via email. I have found this to be the best way to convey your interest and enthusiasm for a given subject in the scientific and academic fields. Did background research on their work and as well as the topic as a whole in order to prepare for our meeting.

Interview Questions

• Why I am interested in this particular field and the given focus of the research.   Answer Question

Research Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Cold Spring Harbor Laboratory (New York, NY) in February 2013.

Interview

Applied online, received an email for phone interview schedule within 3 weeks. At first were technical questions about my projects, data structure and algorithms . then asked OOP, polymorphism, inheritance, give examples, then some simple algorithm problems. I got all the answers right, but may seem not experienced enough. They want highly experienced programmers I think, even for this non-cs position