Cole Instrument Interview Questions | Glassdoor

1 Interview Review

Interviews for Top Jobs at Cole Instrument

Sort:

Senior Mechanical Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Cole Instrument.

Interview

First interview was in person. After filling out the application, I was taken into a small conference room and interviewed by the general manager and another senior staff member. The subjects of the questions ranged from my general background to giving examples of problems solved. Interestingly, the job description included details about a robotics project, but my hosts dismissed that detail as an error. However, they also claimed the job title should have not been "senior". Hmm.

I was given a tour of the facility, including the manufacturing equipment and the shop floor. They had an impressive amount of equipment and inventory, considering the diminutive confines of the establishment. The Carter-era evaluation instruments and decor had aged surprisingly well, though navigating the labyrinthian layout requires an advanced degree in cartography. The engineering office provided clear view of each cubicle and desktop as engineers clicked blithely on 2D line drawings.

At the tour's conclusion, I demonstrated modern 3D modeling and drawing techniques using my PC and one of Cole's switches. My hosts were visibly impressed, but were baffled by terms like FEA and CFD. It was evident through further discourse that they had only recently ventured into the world of parametric CAD, and that a large majority of their design documentation is still in dwg format.

All about the ben(efits)
    When queried regarding compensation, insurance, and the like, I was unfortunately dismayed. The salary I requested was nominally below market rate, especially considering my experience and live-demonstrated skill. Regardless, a much inferior offer was made for 20% below asking salary, with no benefits for the first 3 months.

Were this the solitary caveat, it might have been a passable offer. However: a) no paid time off for the first year, and only 1 week per year thereafter; b) no 401k match; c) subpar sick and holiday time off.

In all, I'm concerned for the employees of this company.

Interview Questions

• What is your experience with the product development process?   Answer Question