Confluent Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Confluent Interview Questions

Interviews at Confluent

1. Featured Interview

Site Reliability Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Bengaluru (India)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Confluent (Bengaluru (India)) in November 2019.

Interview

I was contacted by one of the HRs on LinkedIn where he told me about the company and the process for the interviews, I have had heard about about the company before and was interested in giving the interviews. There were in total 5 rounds, Coding Round, Scripting Round, Operational Round, Design Round and finally behavioural round. Every round was of 1 hour and all the rounds were taken on Zoom. The HR was very helpful on scheduling/rescheduling interviews as I was at vacation after I was done with my first interview. Overall it was a great experience, interviewers were quite knowledgeable and experienced as they went in depth as one could get. First round was coding round taken on CoderPad where I was given to parse 2 different CSVs and merge them on certain rules and filter out certain data on certain rules, calculate a certain mathematical entity and finally sort them in decreasing order and print the corresponding metadata of the processed order. Interviewer was quite helpful in giving clues and correcting mistakes. Second round was Scripting round where basic and in depth question related to Linux were asked, along with that docker in depth questions, its working and orchestration, clustering and scheduling capabilities. Third round started with a very a basic system layout and was asked to expand the system along with the new resources addition and changing user requirements. Fourth round was the design round where I was given a design question prior to 3 days of interview and had to prepare a report for it(Have to describe everything from scratch, services dependancy, data modelling, cloud architecture etc.), again the interviewer went in depth as much as one could and was quite good.

Overall the company is run and managed by some really good guys and are very systematic, smart and are very professional, I think I have had best interview experience with this company.

Interview Questions

• Parse 2 different CSVs and merge them on certain rules and filter out certain data on certain rules, calculate a certain mathematical entity and finally sort them in decreasing order and print the corresponding metadata of the processed order.   Answer Question
    • Difference between docker daemon, docker machine and virtual machine.   Answer Question
    • Networking questions for debugging like how `traceroute` and ping can help us in debugging.   Answer Question
    • Describe the layering concept on docker.   Answer Question
    • Given a game to you which is running on an instance and hasMySQL installed on it locally, now with the game popularity increasing, suggest ways that it stays highly secure and highly available and then with every step he was adding more things on it, like we want to use JWT on it, should we use it? session maintenance etc.   Answer Question

Director Interview

Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 5+ weeks. I interviewed at Confluent (Seattle, WA).

Interview

Contacted by a recruiter on LinkedIn. A few messages back and forth, then a phone screen. Next was a 45min call with the CFO, which was fantastic. This was followed by three more phone screens with two VPs and Chief Revenue Officer. This is a remote role, so finally I was flown down to do a full day interview in person with the CEO and members of the leadership team, including an analysis session on their customer profile and sales strategies in various scenarios. The offer was discussed within a week afterward.
    Honestly, I wasn’t actively looking for a new position initially when contacted on LinkedIn but I was so impressed by the folks I talked to and after learning more about the company I was sold. It was a great recruiting experience and I felt in the loop about timelines and expectations.

Interview Questions

• What methods do you find successful in motivating a team?   Answer Question
    • What challenges have you experienced when building out a team and how did you handle them?   Answer Question
    • What is your experience with OSS?   Answer Question

Sales Development Representative Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mountain View, CA

Application

I applied through other source. I interviewed at Confluent (Mountain View, CA).

Interview

There were multiple rounds but the Recruiter was pretty amazing in terms of timeline. I reached out to the HM on LinkedIn. Had a 45 min session with him. After 2 weeks had a video interview with VP Sales and a week from then was called for an on-site. I interviewed with 3 people on-site.
    1. An SDR - who has been in the org for such a short span of time.
    2. Inbound Manager - interesting conversation with him
    3. The HM whom I had my first round with . The moment he came in, I sensed some discomfort. And right from the start, he disagreed to everything I said. This wasn't even a technical interview, and there are no rights or wrongs in situational questions and to disqualify every statement of mine gave me a bad vibe. This round with him went for 1.5 hrs.

The recruiter got back to me 3 days later saying they didn't want to move ahead.

Interview Questions

• 1 . How do you define sales.
      2. 3 imp attributes for a sales person   Answer Question

Customer Operations Engineer Interview

Application

The process took 4 days. I interviewed at Confluent in November 2019.

Interview

Was contacted on LinkedIn followed by 20 min call with recruiter and a 40 min call with hiring manager. I thought I did OK by answering the Linux questions and for additional questions on garbage collection , I did not go much forward. After the interview , since there was no word from the hiring manager about an on-site interview I realized , it’s an end of road. But , would be good if they communicated the same to the recruiter and me

Interview Questions

• Linux questions like searching a process and how to know connectivity between 2 java process between machines   Answer Question
    • About garbage collection   Answer Question

Application

The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Confluent.

Interview

1 technical phone interview, 1 final technical interview. Very nice process, it was streamlined and fast. All the interviewers were very helpful. Final technical interview had 2 technical questions if I recall correctly. It was a pretty standard software engineering intern interview I think.

SDR Interview

Anonymous Employee in Mountain View, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Confluent (Mountain View, CA) in November 2019.

Interview

First phone interview with the HR, second phone interview with my direct manager, third on-site 2h interview with hiring managers. I had to prepare a cold outbound e-mail for the second interview and a mock call exercise for the on-site interview.

Software Engineer(Internship) Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Confluent in October 2019.

Interview

Phone interview with an engineer who has been at the company for less than a year. First she asked me if I know what the company does and if I have any questions about the company or the role I'm applying for. Then we did a technical data structure problem which wasn't hard. I was sick on the day of the interview which might have impacted my problem-solving efficiency. Whole interview was 50 minutes long.

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Confluent.

Interview

The first phone interview was a coding interview. This was a really pleasant experience. The interviewer asked a good challenging question and we were able to have a good conversation around my solution, the implementation, tradeoffs, and then he answered questions I had about the company.

Unfortunately, the second phone interview for system design is where the negative experience occurred. The interviewer asked for me to design the backend for a popular website/app and specified that it needed to serve "Facebook-sized level of traffic/usage". It was a perfectly reasonable system design question, and I started off asking some clarifying questions, listing my assumptions based on these clarifications, and started to explain my thoughts of the high-level layout of the backend before I dove into the more nitty-gritty details of weighing the tradeoffs of certain technologies for various layers of the backend, read/write optimizations, traffic/storage growth, and explaining my technology choices.

At this point, the interviewer cut me off and asked that I work out specific numbers like the expected number of users, requests, storage, network traffic, etc. The request was very reasonable for a system design interview because you definitely need to keep these numbers in mind when design the system and be able to work out these numbers based off assumptions. I had thought the Facebook-level usage comment and my clarifications/assumptions had covered this, but the interviewer was looking for more concrete numbers. Fair enough, however at each point where I listed my assumptions, estimates, and reasons for choosing the estimates, the interviewer kept blocking me from moving on until I was able to deduce the interviewer's exact "correct" estimated number of expected users, requests, traffic, storage, growth, etc (similar to those gotcha questions like how many windows are there in Manhattan, except with this interview there were specific numbers the interviewer was looking for).

Trying to deduce these numbers took up more than 30 minutes of the 60 minute interview not including the beginning of the interview where we both talked about our backgrounds. As a result, there was very little time to get to the actual design of the system. I think if we had instead spent up to 10 minutes going over these number estimations and not focus so much on me figuring out the exact magic numbers in the interviewer's head, we could have focused more on the actual meat of the problem and it would have gone much more smoothly. After eventually figuring out the magic numbers, the planned system design in my head did not change because "Facebook-level usage" means global, highly-distributed, and billions of users like I had specified at the beginning of the interview. Long story short, I did not pass this interview. Not sure if this experience was a one-off because of the specific interviewer I had or if it was something that happens company-wide, but it was a very disappointing experience to say the least.

Coincidentally, I was asked a very similar system design the next day in an interview with another company, and it was an extremely pleasant experience. I offered similar clarifying questions and estimations at the beginning of the interview, we talked about high-level system design, and then dove deep into each portion of the stack to talk about technology decisions, trade-offs, access patterns, and optimizations for reads/writes. The interview was more of an engaging conversation with the interviewer instead of guessing magic numbers.

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Interview

I was constantly getting bombarded from emails from a sourcer so I decided to chat with her. This is one of the most unprofessional conversations I have had. The sourcer was unprepared, did not understand my profile or what they were looking for. She had no answers to my question. It was just like a telemarketer reading a script. We ended the call by her asking me to go to their careers site to find a fit for me.

Interview Questions

• What tools and technologies do you know?
      What is the project you are most proud of?   1 Answer

Technical Account Manager Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Confluent.

Interview

I was referred by an old co-worker, and they started the process quickly with an initial screen with an internal recruiter. After that things slowed down quite a bit, but I got pretty far along in the process, with one-on-one remote interviews with several would-be peers, extensive discussions with the hiring manager and other management, everything seemed to be going well and then they just suddenly ghosted me. Absolutely no communication. Extremely unprofessional.

Product Designer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Confluent in June 2019.

Interview

The interview process took over a month. I received an email from a recruiter to schedule a call within a week of application. It was a generic screener call to check whether I satisfy the minimum requirements of this job. The next call was scheduled with the hiring manager (which I would say, was a mix of technical and behavioral questions) on a selected project from your portfolio. I received a design challenge the next day. The design challenge spanned for a week, and they were pretty open to answering any questions or doubts. Once I submitted the documents for the challenge, I was notified that they want to schedule a couple of more interviews. The interviews were supposed to be based on the design prompt or on the projects on my portfolio, but those focused on generic app critiques and product thinking exercises. I received a reject soon after these interviews.

No questions were asked on the design prompt.