Contra Costa County Library Interview Questions | Glassdoor

2.4

Interviews for Top Jobs at Contra Costa County Library

Librarian Specialist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Pleasant Hill, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ months. I interviewed at Contra Costa County Library (Pleasant Hill, CA) in September 2015.

Interview

First there was an application and supplemental questions. Then I was invited to an oral examination, with two librarians, one from Contra Costa County Library and the other from another library system. 30 minutes allowed, 8 questions. Then I was invited to an actual interview, with three people including the county librarian. 35 minutes. 12 questions. Time at the end for me to ask questions.

Interview Questions

• What do you see is the role of programming in libraries?   Answer Question

Library Clerk Interview

Anonymous Employee in Pleasant Hill, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 6+ months. I interviewed at Contra Costa County Library (Pleasant Hill, CA).

Interview

First you must apply to a list (provided through the counties webpage) once your group from the list is called (this can take months) you are requested to take a test which covers basic math and english. Depending on your score you are given a number, higher numbers being called first lower number being called last. From there you will receive phone calls or emails from locations in the county looking for clerks. These locations are not limited to library services. They include court rooms, healthcare, sheriffs office (any county service that could require clerk work). My interview was with two managers each asked a set of question. Once that was complete I was called for the position the same day.

Interview Questions

• Mostly these questions where scenario based. Mainly asking how I would handle public service issues.   Answer Question

Librarian Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Contra Costa County Library.

Interview

You have to apply to the recruitment list when it is open, like with many public libraries in the area. Then you have to go to the initial oral interview to see if you can actually get on the list & what your place is - interviewed by 2 people that DON'T work for Contra Costa County or the CCC Library and you have to make sure to re-tell them EVERYTHING on your resume because they don't actually see it, yet still need to grade you. Then if a position opens up, they might contact you for the real interview.

For me, several positions opened up and I was interviewed for them all at once by a panel of 5 or 6 people. These were positions for different types of librarian jobs... children, teens, adults, etc, most part time. It was difficult to formulate my answers in a way that left me eligible & interested in working with such different populations (because I didn't want to eliminate myself right off the bat from any of the available positions by saying "well I really prefer X instead of Y"). I ended up being honest in my answers though.

Also, you need to be willing to take a job across the entire county. All of the positions I was interviewing for were at different locations around the county. I was told later that they try to take your preference in department along with your home address into account when they make you an offer at a branch but it's not always anywhere near where you currently live. Once you're past probation though and a position opens up at another branch, you can apply for transfer though.

Interview Questions

• Example of times you've worked with your community. Experience with diverse communities. Projects you've led, etc. (The usual).   Answer Question

Library Aide Interview

Anonymous Employee in Walnut Creek, CA

Application

I applied in-person. I interviewed at Contra Costa County Library (Walnut Creek, CA) in April 2012.

Interview

I was a volunteer there for about 2 years. It was one of my classes I took at Diablo Valley Collage in Pleasant Hill, CA. .The person that interview me knew I could do the job.

Interview Questions

• If I could put the call numbers in order.   1 Answer

Library Student Assistant Interview

Anonymous Employee in Pleasant Hill, CA

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Contra Costa County Library (Pleasant Hill, CA) in June 2010.

Interview

I started as a volunteer, which really looks good on the written application-- they tend to favor that. The interview was at the Pleasant Hill library (walnut creek library was still under construction) and consisted of several questions. The senior clerk and head librarian both interviewed me, then they have to do a "sorting test" where you take a series of cards and put them in shelving order.

Interview Questions

• All the questions were very straight forward and nothing scary or out of the blue.
      For ex: "if a friend came into the library while you were shelving, is it appropriate to socialize with them?"   1 Answer