Contra Costa County Library Reviews | Glassdoor

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Library Aide"

Current Employee - Library Aide in Walnut Creek, CA
    Current Employee - Library Aide in Walnut Creek, CA

I have been working at Contra Costa County Library part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I work at Ygnacio Valley Library, it is a very good library. I have been there for 4 years and I have not seen a day that the library was empty. I like to keep busy, I always have something to do.

Cons

I have seen alot of peaple come and go in 4 years. To attend school or a better job position. So it seems like just when you finish training them they move on. It is time for me to move on too. However I do like this job.

Advice to Management

It would be a job worth keeping if you received benefits.

2. "Library Clerk"

Former Employee - Clerk-Experienced Level
    Former Employee - Clerk-Experienced Level

I worked at Contra Costa County Library full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Being around books and materials and working in a diverse environment. It's a great learning experience.

Cons

Favoritism and office politics. People are promoted based on upper management's own personal thoughts rather than skills. Many people have been passed for promotions because of this.

Advice to Management

Treat your dedicated workers who have been there for years with respect.

3. "Studen Assistant"

I worked at Contra Costa County Library part-time

Pros

Pretty easy job, and the librarians were very friendly and helpful when I had any questions.

Cons

Repetitive work, but what can you expect when you're shelving books.

4. "Library PI-Clerk"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Pleasant Hill, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Pleasant Hill, CA

Pros

This position has a flexible schedule. Allows you to work at different branches within the county. Good work environment with opportunities for growth. Supervisors are supportive and work with you to help you reach your goals.

Cons

This County pays the lowest in the area for their positions. In this specific position there are no benefits, however other positions do provide them.

5. "Lots of love for Lafayette Library!"

Former Employee - Student Library Assistant in Moraga, CA
    Former Employee - Student Library Assistant in Moraga, CA

I worked at Contra Costa County Library part-time (More than a year)

Pros

The working environment is comfortable, low-key, and very accommodating. The co-workers and management are very friendly and anyone's willing to help out the best they can.

Cons

Some of the patrons can be inconsiderate; it's part of the job to keep an eye on them and let them know what's what.

Advice to Management

The organizational system for shipping books to other libraries could use a bit of work, and the downstairs scanner could be more effective.

6. "Library Assistant"

Current Employee - Library Assistant in Oakland, CA
    Current Employee - Library Assistant in Oakland, CA

Pros

Great innovation, autonomy and creativity. Work politics are wonderful, feels like family.

Cons

Pay is lowest in the Bay Area for position. Not much leeway for movement within the library system.

"focused on awards rather than truly excellent service"

I worked at Contra Costa County Library full-time

Pros

some of the branches are well-run and good places to visit. These are in more affluent cities like Lafayette, Orinda, Moraga, and Walnut Creek.

Cons

many branches are poorly funded and they do not receive extra money from Friends groups. Branches in San Pablo and Pleasant Hill are ugly and depressing. Staffing levels are low and people are too stressed to provide decent service. Books don't get checked in correctly and you will be fined even if you return on time, or you will spend time calling and trying to get your account corrected.

Advice to Management

Spend more time on improving existing library services such as a better catalog and more efficient checkout and returns, and more open hours. Spend less time on providing free museum visits to well-off people who live in Moraga.

8. "Reading is fun"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Ramon, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Ramon, CA

Pros

Flexible schedule, supportive and encouraging staff.

Cons

You have to enjoy a quieter work environment.

Advice to Management

Great leadership and communication.

9. "Great experience dealing with a diverse group of people."

Former Employee - Library Aide
    Former Employee - Library Aide

Pros

Comfortable work environment with great employees. Stable schedule if you go to school or have other commitments on your plate. Generous managers depending on the library you work for.

Cons

No opportunity for growth whatsoever unless you decide to go to library school. Schedule can work against you if you want to get paid more because the county limits student aide hours. The county has a major staffing issue and some libraries use employees in positions they are not used to doing. Patrons can be rude but you just have to tune them out however if you are not used to interesting patrons then it is not for you. Depending on the location of the library, kids can become a major problem. A lot of downtime can occur and the day could become really quiet.