Cooley Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Cooley Interview Questions

Updated Jun 22, 2017

Practice Team Assistant Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Cooley (New York, NY) in April 2017.

Interview

The hiring process was very long for no reason. I met with the hiring manager, then came back and met with two partners, then had a phone screening with a partner who works remotely. I then came back to meet the legal secretary of the firm, an associate and the hiring manager again. Everyone was very nice and I do enjoy working here. The hours are long but there are major perks here. There is always food here and everyone is very nice and willing to answer questions and also get to know you and where you are from which is nice. Once your hired orientation is two days long from about 9-5. Day one is reading and signing paperwork and watching videos. Day 2 is learning the programs etc. The process is very professional.

Corporate Paralegal Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Cooley (New York, NY).

Interview

Came in for an initial interview with the Paralegal Manager and Senior Paralegal. Was then called in for a second interview with the current Corporate Paralegal. My last interview was with 3 associates in the Corporate group. Received a formal offer less than a week later.

Summer Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Diego, CA

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Cooley (San Diego, CA) in August 2016.

Interview

OCI was a breeze. You need to know about the firm and depending on what office you want to work for, what practices they focus on. My knowledge of the history and accolades of the firm was a plus as I received a call back interview after being a lottery selection. The call back interview was very fun. Again, they are looking for enthusiasm and knowledge of the firm. I was diligent in studying each partners forte as well as their accomplishments. Go ahead and take a look at Cooley Go, their website for start ups. Digest some of the relevant info and be ready to use it in the interview. I got some behavioral questions throughout the six, thirty minute interviews. The main questions was describe a time where you were working in a group and had to over come a conflict. After the interviews they took me to lunch and I had a great talk with two associates.

Business Intake Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Cooley (San Francisco, CA) in May 2016.

Interview

I was led by the secretary into a room where I was interviewed by both the head of HR as well as the head of the Business Intake department and I was asked several questions regarding my familiarity with CRMs and other database managing software.

Interview Questions

• If there was any one individual, dead or alive, you wanted to meet who would it be?   1 Answer

Paralegal Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Cooley (New York, NY) in February 2016.

Interview

Very pleasant, they asked about my experience and described the experiences of paralegals at the firm. From what I could gather, the firm accepts applicants based on compatibility and experience, which I really appreciated. I applied through their website.

Interview Questions

Interview

Future bosses interviewed me at office location. Both were very kind, prepared and professional. I would make sure to learn about the company before the interview and take notes prior about how you fit.

They asked the general questions most interviewers do and it wasn't too hard. I had been interviewed by multiple people at other places and it was terrifying. They knew how to make it a good balance of professional and personal. I was really impressed and so badly wanted to work there. Now I do!

Case Assistant Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Cooley.

Interview

There was a phone/ Skype interview where they asked you to explain different situations and difficulties you had encountered in the workplace and how you handle stress. They were interested in how your other jobs prepared you for this position.

If you passed the phone interview, they called you in for an in person interview, in which they inquired about passed work experiences, attention to detail, what my life goals were etc. Over all the interview wasn't too intimidating.

Interview Questions

• What was a time that you and your boss disagreed and how did you handle it?   Answer Question

Legal Secretary Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Cooley (Boston, MA) in August 2015.

Interview

I was called for an interview after a reputable partner and two secretaries at the firm highly recommended me. My interview was with the HR Manager who told me that she was impressed by the recommendations I had received and the partner who recommended me was pushing hard for my hire.

I was given a run down of the firm, how the department for which I would be working operated, and information about the position and the people with and for whom I would be working. I was told they wanted to fill the position very quickly and was only asked 3 questions during the meeting: Why was I applying for the position, did I have any upcoming vacation, and did I have a preference on my work hours. The HR manager then told me she wanted to have me back in to meet the folks with whom I would be working. The entire conversation gave me the very strong impression that the interview and follow up meetings were just formalities.

I met with the attorneys with whom I would be working as well as the secretaries in the group. According to my contacts there, all were impressed by me. I reached out to the HR manager to find out next steps and was told that she would touch back with me shortly. When I did not hear back after a couple of weeks, I reached out again and was told the same thing. A few weeks later I heard from one of my contacts that the position was filled by a less experienced person. To this day, I have not heard back from the HR manager letting me know the position was filled or giving me a reason as to why I was not hired. As a former HR manager myself, I find this extremely unprofessional and discourteous, especially given the nature of all prior communications and my relationships at the firm.

Paralegal Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Cooley (New York, NY) in July 2015.

Interview

Interviews were relaxed and interesting, a lot more focused on feeling out what kind of person I was and giving me information about the firm rather than asking a barrage of difficult questions. No crazy mind-bending questions just normal questions about experience, work expectations, and the like

Interview Questions

• A time at which I had been criticized (if at all) at a previous job   Answer Question

Support Staff Interview

Anonymous Employee in Reston, VA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Cooley (Reston, VA) in July 2015.

Interview

First a telephone interview; face to face meeting with the management team followed by an interview with the managing partner. My overall experience during the interview: personable, fun and positive. The management team was professional, engaging and revealing as to their expecatations.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

Via Telephone and comfortable