Corel Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Corel Interview Questions

Updated May 4, 2017

2.7

Web Developer Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Corel.

Interview

Mainly data structure questions to determine algorithmics
    Phone screen and then in-person interview
    They had some logic-type questions as well such as why is a manhole round and if it take 2 people to put up a fence in 2 weeks, how many people would it take to put up etc.

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Ottawa, ON (Canada)

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Corel (Ottawa, ON (Canada)) in November 2016.

Interview

It took about 3 weeks to process my application after I applied the position. Then a 90-minute phone interview was arranged for me. The person was very nice with a few hints. It all about the basic knowledge in C++ and object-oriented programming. It might be quite easy if you have review those knowledge.

Interview Questions

• 1, Pointers programming
      2, Constructor and destructor in class
      3, Codes debug dealing with image pixels   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Ottawa, ON (Canada)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Corel (Ottawa, ON (Canada)) in January 2016.

Interview

Applied online in January 2016 and had a phone interview a week later which lasted an hour and a half. I was asked to talk about myself, my educational background and my skills. The last 30 minute portion of the interview involved two coding questions: fix the code snippet and traverse a binary search tree.

A week later I was notified that I was invited for an on-site interview with the team. The interview lasted for two and a half hours. The interview was incredibly long for a company not considered the Big 4. Typical questions were asked regarding C++, your past projects followed by coding on the whiteboard.

As others have said here, Corel is an old boy's club so if you're young, don't expect to be working with anyone even remotely close to your age. Also, I was asked if I play video games or computer games and I said I didn't. Apparently, two of the developers who were sitting in on the interview played games on lunch break and that gave me a weird vibe off the get go.

Thought I did okay but didn't move on past the on-site interview. The developers didn't even email me back until I had to email them asking if there was any update.

Based off my experience and fellow reviews here on Glassdoor, stay away from this company.

Interview Questions

• 1. What's the difference between a pointer and a reference?
      2. What's the difference between malloc() and new()?
      3. How are constructors/desctructors invoked during the lifetime of a program?

and more C++ questions like this   Answer Question

Product Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Ottawa, ON (Canada)

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 5 weeks. I interviewed at Corel (Ottawa, ON (Canada)) in July 2015.

Interview

The first stage was an informal discussion for about 1h

The second interview a couple of days later was more intense with more in-depth and focused questions for 2h with the team. I was asked to beforehand to prepare a small business model exercise.

I was then contacted on the phone by HR with standard behavioral questions. They checked my references and I got to meet the CEO and had a nice chat.

I had another informal meeting a couple of weeks later on.

The whole process took a good month due to vacation days.

They finally sent me a very low balled offer, including a very large ratio of incentives and bonuses (way more than the typical 10% for this type of position) and pretty standard benefits.

Countered, and was turned down flat...

Interview Questions

Offered less real money than my current salary. The rest is only promises of future bonuses and growth.

Software Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Ottawa, ON (Canada)

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Corel (Ottawa, ON (Canada)) in February 2015.

Interview

Applied online and got a reply back in couple of weeks (2-3 weeks) Asked about myself and some projects. Mainly asked questions from a code. They asked me analyze the code, explain what's happening, debug it, find any errors with the code etc.

Interview Questions

• Mainly focused on your understanding of C++, Data structures, a question based on binary search tree etc.   Answer Question

Product Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Ottawa, ON (Canada)

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Corel (Ottawa, ON (Canada)) in January 2013.

Interview

Submitted my resume, was called a few weeks later, met with a few senior people in the marketing department individually within the same day, they called about a week later and made an offer, and I started 2 weeks later.

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to leave the consumer packaged goods B2C world?   1 Answer

Senior Graphic Designer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Ottawa, ON (Canada)

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Corel (Ottawa, ON (Canada)) in July 2011.

Interview

Phone interview, then an interview with the Creative Director and two other designers. I presented my portfolio and discussed each piece with them. I had worked there previously and was part of a mass lay off which often happens at Corel. They lay you off and then you can often get back in if you left on good terms because a lot of designers don't know Corel software so they don't have to spend time training you on how to use it.

The overall experience was quite relaxed because I knew the people and some of my portfolio pieces were actually Corel projects. It was a fairly quick interview. The people were pleasant enough but I found out later that they are not to be trusted. They are back stabbers. Very disappointing after working there for 11 years to find out that these colleagues and "friends" are so cut throat and phoney.

Interview Questions

• I was asked for my feedback on a recent package design.   1 Answer
    • What are your strengths?   1 Answer
    • What do you do when you are creatively stuck?   1 Answer

Negotiation

The negotiation was quick for me. I stated what salary I wanted and we ended up meeting in the middle from what I previously had and what I was asking for. This conversation happened over the phone. I got the job but I didn't realize I had gotten the job until I called back a week later to ask the Creative Director if the position was filled yet or not. Strange!