Council on Foreign Relations Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Council on Foreign Relations Interview Questions

Updated Jun 19, 2017

2.9

Anonymous Interview

Interview

Application Process: I applied here and as they requested I prepared a cover letter and submitted it alongside my resume. I received an email stating they were sorry but the position has been filled but to please apply for another position on their site. I prepared another cover letter and submit it and received the same response.

IF THE POSITION HAS BEEN "FILLED"
    THEN WHY IS THE JOB POST STILL UP?
      WASTED OF MY TIME !!!!
    I TAKE A COVER LETTER SERIOUSLY AND RESEARCH THE COMPANY AND THE POSITION I AM APPLYING FOR AND TAKE MY TIME TO DRAFT AND FINALIZE MY LETTER.

Very unprofessional!!!!!!

Intern Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Council on Foreign Relations.

Interview

2 Rounds. 1 with HR, 1 with Department. Applied and heard back about interview within one week. Straight forward discussion about experience, relevant research, and topics of interest. They will make sure that whatever department you are applying, you are aware of the current affairs and that you have some specificity of which you will be able to contribute to the Council's greater mission. Heard back at the end of the week on final decision.

Research Associate Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Council on Foreign Relations.

Interview

First interview consisted of a phonecall with an HR coordinator who asked me some behavior interview questions. Primarily things like how I deal with stress, how I prioritize different tasks and so forth. Salary and availability was also briefly discussed during this round.

The second round was conducted over skype where the Senior Fellow and the current Research Associate interviewed me. Primarily the Senior Fellow went over job expectations and their work while the Research Associate asked me additional behavioral interview questions. The whole process did not feel too difficult but I was not invited to the next round of interviews.

Interview Questions

• Tell us about a time you had multiple obligations and had to prioritize one of them   Answer Question

Internship Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Council on Foreign Relations in March 2017.

Interview

It was very friendly. They contacted me through phone to ask me for an interview and then we had a Skype interview. I first had a ten minutes long behavioral interview with the HR and then thirty minutes long interview with a research assistant. The research assistant asked me very specific questions about the area I want to do my internship about.

Spring Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Council on Foreign Relations (New York, NY).

Interview

Applied online and was called about a week later to come in for an interview. The interview was in-depth but not designed to throw you off or fluster you- they just asked about my experience and wanted to know what foreign policy issues interested me. I met with HR as well as the woman I'd be working under, and they both were welcoming. I will say that CFR is intimidating, but if you can get over the initial butterflies everyone is very nice! I got a call about three weeks after my interview with an offer which I accepted.

Anonymous Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Council on Foreign Relations (New York, NY).

Interview

Complete process was less than 2 weeks. Applied through an agency. Met with Director and manager first. Second interview was with manager and senior employee. Interview was a joke. They did not even assess my skills. They were more worried about how I would "fit in" rather than what was on my resume. Don't even try to negotiate with their abysmal salaries, there's no wiggle room.

Research Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 6 weeks. I interviewed at Council on Foreign Relations (Washington, DC).

Interview

Had a phone screen and then a skype interview with the scholar then an applicant test.

The scholar was great and very professional but the HR director did a very bad job throughout the process. She was late on my phone screen and then gave me the wrong time for the scholar interview (fortunately, he and I both caught the error and fixed this). Generally, the test and the questions were good but the Washington HR director is not very good at her job and is quite inconsiderate of others time.

Research Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Council on Foreign Relations (Washington, DC) in August 2016.

Interview

Took at least a month to get back to me if not more. Interview lasted for an hour. Met with the team and HR Director. Discussed role/salary at length before interview questions were asked.

Other offer

Associate Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Council on Foreign Relations in May 2016.

Interview

I was contacted for a phone screening approximately a week after submitting my application. The initial questions with the hiring manager were mostly behavioral and asked about my previous experiences as well as why I wanted the job. After making it to the second phase of the process, I had a Skype interview with a Senior Researcher that was mostly a casual exchange and afforded the opportunity for learning more about the specifics of the job and department.

Intern Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Council on Foreign Relations in April 2016.

Interview

Skype interview, first with hiring manager and then 10 minutes later, with two research associates. Friendly process, largely behavioral questions based on resume and interests. In the interview with the RAs I elaborated on my interest in the region (the internship was in an area studies program) and discussed scholars both within and outside of CFR that I enjoyed. I received the interview request a month after applying and received the offer a week after interviewing.