Crain Communications Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Crain Communications Interview Questions

Updated Aug 21, 2017

2.8

Coordinator Interview

Interview

I did not even consider doing an in-person interview, because the HR person was extremely unprofessional, which told me all I needed to know about the company. They emailed me asking for my availability for a phone interview. I responded the same day. About a week and a half passed, and I never received any confirmation from the HR person, so I had to follow up with them to see if the phone interview was even still on the table. The person responded and apologized, and finally scheduled a phone interview. When the day/time of the phone interview arrived, they never called me. Again, I had to chase down the HR person to find out what was going on. I emailed them, but they did not immediately get back to me. About 2 hours later, they tried calling me and wanted to have the phone interview right then and there. This is completely inconsiderate. Although I'm looking for a new job, I currently have a job (as most applicants do). First of all, I already had to rearrange my scheduled to accommodate the initially scheduled phone interview. Secondly, I find it rude that the HR person would think to call me back hours later and expect that I was free to do the phone interview then. They have a very selfish "it's all about me" attitude that immediately made me realized what kind of employer they would most likely be. I politely declined proceeding with the interview process. I'm simply not that desperate for a job to have to deal with such unprofessionalism.

Crain Communications Response

Aug 22, 2017 – Chief Human Resources Officer

Thank you for your feedback and we're very sorry to hear you had an unfortunate interview experience. Customer service is a top priority for both current and future employees. Disorganized and... More

Marketing Coordinator Interview

Application

The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Crain Communications.

Interview

Absolutely terrible. Talked to an hr woman who did not know much, if anything, about the position. Went in for an i person interview. Immediately after they requested to schedule another in person interview. Very inconsiderate of my time, considering they could have schedule both for the same day. The second interview was unlike anything else. The interviewee tried to be intimidating but instead came off as unprofessional. I knew immediately I didn't want the job. I was told I would hear back in a few days, but I didn't hear back until two weeks later. Extremely drawn out unprofessional interview.

Marketing Coordinator Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Crain Communications (New York, NY) in April 2017.

Interview

A few weeks after applying, I was contacted by HR to set up a phone screening. I was out of the country at the time, so the call had to be postponed.

The phone screening was very straightforward, with most of the conversation focused on my background and how it measured up to the responsibilities of the position I applied for.

After the phone interview, I was brought in for two separate in-person interviews, both of which left me with a great impression of the company, its leadership and its goals for the future.

Overall, my experience was overwhelmingly positive, from my initial conversation with HR to the company's extension of the offer. I personally appreciated HR's willingness to accommodate my schedule when I was contacted for the phone screening, and general facilitation of the whole process.

Interview Questions

• Considering the industries you've worked in, why are you interested in working at a media company?   Answer Question

Event Content Strategist Interview

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Crain Communications (Chicago, IL) in March 2017.

Interview

Phone interview with Human Resources, Interview with Publisher, Lunch Interview with Direct Report, All very professional, very nice. Entire process was a pleasure. Get a welcome package in the mail.

Interview Questions

• Not only what you could offer the company, but what they could offer you.   Answer Question

Business Development Associate Interview

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Crain Communications (Chicago, IL) in January 2017.

Interview

I applied for the Business Development position on 1/20/17 through the company website. On 1/23/17 I was contacted by the National Advertising Sales Director to set up a phone interview for 1/26/17. After great conversation, I was invited to the Chicago office for an in person interview with the sales director along with a couple of members of the sales team and the VP/Publisher. I received an offer at the end of the interview, therefore making the total process time 7 days.

The culture is wonderful, the office itself is beautiful and it's in a great location. The individuals that I spoke to were truly one of a kind. They were very direct, honest and incredibly helpful. Most of the people I met with have been with the company since the 90's or early 2000's, which speaks volumes especially when searching for a new career.

Overall, I had a fantastic experience. I have long awaited this opportunity at the Crain company and without a doubt I can say that it was worth waiting for.

Interview Questions

• The publisher asked many standard questions, yet questions that make you think i.e. name a time when x, rate your productivity 1-10, would you do just about anything for a sale, etc. Along with personality questions, there were the intro questions such as tell me about yourself, why you want to work here, how did you hear about us, etc.   1 Answer

Account Executive Interview

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 6+ weeks. I interviewed at Crain Communications (Chicago, IL).

Interview

two phone interviews, one Skype interview and they offered me the job. Ii accepted the position but left after one year..... culture and opportunities were not as presented. disappointed. maybe you should meet people in person explore if the opportunity and organization line up with the candidate you are interviewing.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

they gave me what i asked for.

Media Services Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Detroit, MI

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Crain Communications (Detroit, MI) in September 2016.

Interview

I was interviewed by the Vice President of the department and it was phenomenal! I didn't feel uncomfortable at all! he was an amazing leader and the interview process was excellent.

Interview Questions

• mostly about my previous work experience and why do I want to work with them   Answer Question

Temporary Video Reporter (Part Time) Interview

Anonymous Employee in Detroit, MI

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 6 weeks. I interviewed at Crain Communications (Detroit, MI) in September 2016.

Interview

I had one on-site interview and one by phone. The on-site interview was extensive, including a tour. It concentrated on my experience and my goals. The phone interview was fairly brief, about 10 minutes, and was essentially the usual recap of my resume and reiteration of my goals. It ended with an immediate offer which I rejected, later countered, and my counter was agreed to. The process was expedient and professional.

Parttime Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Crain Communications (Chicago, IL) in July 2016.

Interview

Totally 4 rounds and most of them are basic questions about the resume. Also, I was asked about the 5 year plan and why you think you are an outstanding candidate. During the process, I was supposed to call the director rather than her to call me.

Digital Media Interview

Anonymous Employee in Detroit, MI

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Crain Communications (Detroit, MI) in July 2016.

Interview

Intensive and diligent interview process. Get ready to be asked many questions some creative ones too. 4 rounds of interviews after HR screening call. Very nice and professional team. It was a positive experience.

Interview Questions

• All the standard interview questions regarding experience and personal traits on handling situations.   Answer Question