Curalate Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Curalate Interview Questions

Interviews at Curalate

Sort:

Associate Client Partner Interview

Application

The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Curalate.

Interview

My phone interview was pleasant, the recruiter was very nice and incredibly positive about my outlook. I went in to the Philly office for two in person interviews. It was a short drive so I didn't expect to be compensated for that, but they could have covered the $14 it cost to park in their parking lot. The interviews were standard, I would have liked more feedback on why they did not choose me as everyone acted very positive and said I was a good fit.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Philadelphia, PA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Curalate (Philadelphia, PA) in August 2018.

Interview

The first interview was a Skype interview with someone presumably from HR. We talked about the basics of the job and the company. It was a fairly relaxed interview.

Next came the technical phone interview with one of the engineers. We talked a little bit about data structures and then he gave me a coding question to work through. The data structure questions were pretty routine and the coding question was a very easy question about array intersections.

While scheduling the onsite interview, the office manager who was scheduling my travel never booked the flights and didn't respond to my emails until the day of the interview. They then rescheduled the interview for a week later and this time they did book the travel arrangements. The onsite included three interviews where they asked pretty typical behavioral questions as well as a few coding questions and a system design question. I left feeling quite confident as I answered all the questions with ease. I later got an email informing me that I would not be offered a position. When I asked for feedback they said that they were very impressed with my interview, but were looking for more experience. It seems to me that they should have screened for that earlier in the process instead of wasting my time because if the interview could be perfect and I could still not get an offer, why bother with the interview?

During the interview, I was told that I would be reimbursed for my travel expenses. Later when I sent my information regarding travel, they said they would take care of it, but after about six follow-up emails they stopped responding and I've yet to get reimbursed.

Software Engineer Interview

Interview

I had a brief chat with a recruiter to ensure culture fit, then a half-day onsite consisting of several algorithm and design problems. The problems ranged from a variety of technical topics.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Curalate (Seattle, WA).

Interview

Process: Call with recruiter, call with an engineer, travel on-site, 4 interviews with engineers, last interview with CTO via skype

The bad: The process was lengthly, comparing to other companies like big-4 which is just 4 interviews one after the other. I interviewed with 7 people from HR to Engineering team to CTO, which took 6 weeks. That's the only problem with them . It's likely you go through it all and have a great feeling about it, but get rejected eventually. They tend to drag you along a bit too much as others have mentioned.
    Also, their Seattle office is not really impressive and cool for a "hot" start up!

The good: Recruiters + scheduling and coordination with HR was great. Tech questions were fair. Interviewers on-site were great and friendly!

Interview Questions

• StrStr, matrix, system design, finding prime nums, no DP, CTCI-esque, nothing crazy   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Curalate (Seattle, WA) in February 2017.

Interview

Strange experience overall. They didn't call me for my phone screen, and didn't offer any explanation when I followed up, but did reschedule. The actual phone screen was mostly general knowledge questions and a simple coding exercise with no performance or memory constraints. The interviewer seemed satisfied with my solution, but I was not selected for an in-person interview.

Interview Questions

• What are some differences between C++ and Java? (note: as far as I could tell, neither of these was in the job description or relevant to the role)   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied online. The process took 6 weeks. I interviewed at Curalate (Seattle, WA) in February 2017.

Interview

By far Curalate was the best interview process I went through during my many months long job search. Every interviewer I encountered was enthusiastic, encouraging, patient, and communicative. I never waited more than 2 days to hear back about any respective round of interviews or followup steps (ex: my flights to the onsite interview were booked within 2 hours of me sending my recruiter my travel information) and every member involved worked to make me feel as comfortable and welcome as possible throughout the process.

My interview process started with a quick phone call with a recruiter to chat about my general experience and career goals before moving me on to the rest of the interviews. He also got to tell me quite a bit about Curalate's products and where he thought the company was going so that I really knew what I was interviewing for.

My first real interview was an hour long phone screen, where I talked a bit about my current projects / coursework and then spent the bulk of my time doing a coding exercise before getting the chance to ask my interviewer some questions. The coding exercise required some thought but overall wasn't too hard, and throughout that section of the interview I genuinely felt like my interviewer and I were working through it together rather than him simply sitting back and evaluating me.

After the phone screen, I was invited to one of their offices to do an onsite interview. While there I had three hour long interviews. The first was a front-end interview, which surprised me as although I know the basics of some front-end languages I really have no experience in that area. I actually got to learn a lot from my interviewer in that one, as I do want to learn front end so it became a quick lesson on it and (presumably) an evaluation of how I learn things rather than a test on what I actually know. Following the front-end interview I had one where we whiteboarded a few standard coding problems, and then my last one consisted of an object oriented design problem - just going over the way I would structure a particular program. After every interview I was given a few minutes to ask questions and get to know the member of the team who was interviewing me and the company a bit more.

My last interviewer let me know that I would be moving on to the two final rounds of the interview, which would be with the VP of Engineering and the CTO of the company. If either of them had been in the office I was interviewing in at the time I think I would have done them in person, but because they were both at other offices that week I ended up doing an interview over Google Hangouts instead. Both of these were similar to my first phone screen (a quick discussion about me, a coding problem, and then the opportunity to ask them questions) and it was a really positive thing for me to be able to talk personally with such key figures at the company.

A few days after my last interview I was informed that I was being offered a position, and following a few days of chatting with the VP of Engineering and negotiating aspects of the offer I very enthusiastically took it! It was a great interview experience, and I look forward to having a great time actually working at the company as well.

Interview Questions

• Standard (and relatively simple) coding problems, a front end design problem, and an OOP design problem.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Curalate (Seattle, WA) in March 2017.

Interview

Typical recruiter phone screen, technical phone screen, and then 3-person interview loop. The technical phone screen used an online tool to share code. The first interviewer was a backend developer that went over design questions involving services, REST interfaces, and database design. He was particularly interested in how to save game state. The second interviewer was a frontend engineer that asked how to wire a javascript library on a web page and use it to take a zip code from a text box and use it to call a url to get the weather in that zip code. Given that I'm a backend engineer who has done some frontend work, the first interview went well, but the second didn't.

Interview Questions

• How to wire a javascript library on a web page to display a text box and a button and use it to call a url to get the weather in the zip code entered in the text box?   Answer Question
    • How would you save a multiplayer game state to a database?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Curalate (Seattle, WA) in February 2017.

Interview

Received an email from a technical hiring manager asking me to plan a time to have an over the phone interview. Had no issues scheduling. Phone interview was friendly and well run, although the interviewer did not have access to my resume due to technical issues. Various conversation about the company and possible positions to get a feel for the type of applicant that I was.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Philadelphia, PA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Curalate (Philadelphia, PA) in February 2017.

Interview

I applied through a career fair at my university. First step was a phone interview with relatively easy programming questions and the usual resume questions. They quickly followed up inviting me to their HQ in Philly, and had no issues choosing a date and setting up travel. The onsite consisted of 3 interviews testing front end/general programming, algorithms/data structures and object-oriented design, respectively. Everyone was professional and knowledgable and loved talking about their business and technology. Although I felt relatively confident on my performance, I received an email a week later saying that they had moved forward with another candidate who had done better on the design portion.

Interview Questions

• Describe the classes and methods you would use to implement a certain program.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4 days. I interviewed at Curalate (New York, NY) in November 2016.

Interview

I applied to be a Software Engineer in their New York office.
    I went through a phone screen, one hour technical phone screen, 3 hour in office technical interview (at the Philadelphia office), and 1 hour in office final round (at the New York office, although it ended up being a Google Hangout).
    The best part of interviewing with Curalate was how smart the engineers were. I really enjoyed my technical interviews and could tell the engineering team was strong.
    I found their recruiters to be hard to work with. They booked my train down to Philadelphia to arrive an hour after I had asked (not a huge deal but slightly inconvenient). They also told me the day before my final round that it would be via Google Hangout instead of in the New York office. I agreed to doing the interview over video but asked if I could come see the NY office later in the day. The recruiters, to their credit, agreed, and gave me a tour of the office. While I was in the NY office I insisted on speaking to one of the engineers, which surprised them. (I do not think it should be surprising that a final round candidate wants to speak to a member of the team they will be working on!)
    They emailed me to let me know I had been rejected, and asked me to fill out a survey with feedback. Instead I just wrote my feedback -- that my 3-hour second round interview should have been in New York, not Philadelphia, since I was interviewing for the New York office -- directly in an email to them. They responded saying thank you but told me to look out for the survey.
    The engineers I interviewed with were extremely nice but the scheduling process was impersonal and frustrating.