Custom Ink Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Sort:
  1. Featured Interview

Merchandising Interview

Anonymous Employee in Fairfax, VA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Custom Ink (Fairfax, VA) in January 2017.

Interview

The interview process consisted of one preliminary phone screen with the recruiter, followed by a videoconference with the hiring manager. The questions were about my interest in the position, the company, and related work experience. I was then asked to complete an exercise to test my skills and expertise in merchandising. A week later, I was asked to come in for a half day of in-person interviews, which included four one-hour interviews with various team members and an office tour. Everyone I spoke with was very passionate about the company and the culture. They were genuinely interested in understanding my previous experience, work-style, and how I would respond to various situations to ensure I was a good fit for the team and the company. This was one of the best interview experiences I’ve had, which is why I was excited to receive and accept the offer!

Interview Questions

• Tell me a time when you had to solve a problem and the steps you took to do it.   Answer Question

Corporate Strategy Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Fairfax, VA

Application

I applied online. The process took 6+ weeks. I interviewed at Custom Ink (Fairfax, VA) in January 2015.

Interview

One phone interview, two rounds of in-person for 5+ hours each. Recruiter never had the decency to provide any update after the third round even though I took off two full days off to interview with their team.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Fairfax, VA

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Custom Ink (Fairfax, VA) in August 2014.

Interview

I had applied through CustomInk website and got an email response in 2 days. The first interview was scheduled a day after the email. It went on for around 20 minutes and the questions were:

- Why are you leaving your current position?
    - Why do you want to join CustomInk?
    - What did you do in previous positions (that were stated in the resume)?
    - How comfortable are you with the technologies required in the job?

It was to make sure that the resume can be forwarded to the next round for the technical interview.

The technical interview was scheduled after 3 days of the 1st interview. It started with the interviewer giving an explanation of the work environment at CustomInk and the position for around 15 mins. This made me comfortable for the interview. Then the question was:

- How will you create a library for a Deck of Cards?

The interviewer wanted to know that I understand all aspects required while building a library (requirements, unit testing, documentation, object oriented programming and off course the implementation details). I think I did well on this and so there were no further questions. The interviewer was nice and patient listening to my explanation. Finally I was asked to submit the code that was discussed during the interview using a language of my choice. The overall interview went for around 45 minutes.

I submitted the code after 2 days of the interview and got an no-offer response around 3 days after my submission.

Interview Questions

• Found nothing that was difficult or unexpected for the job profile.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Custom Ink in October 2015.

Interview

Was promised two interviews. The first one in October went pretty well, the man I talked to was very nice and told me "you can do really well on the next interview if you complete x, y, and z." Took that into consideration and waited for the recruiter to email me about my next interview. After a month of waiting I asked what was going on and she told me that they had a couple roadblocks and would resume with the interview process shortly. I recently received an email that I was rejected for the position. I was not interviewed as promised nor was I seemingly considered at all for the position. This was a very unprofessional process and I am very disappointed by this company.

Interview Questions

• Talked about mySQL, Ruby, JavaScript, and other front end programming languages (client-side and server-side).   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Fairfax, VA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Custom Ink (Fairfax, VA) in November 2015.

Interview

I applied for the position online with an inside referral from a friend, but heard nothing back for about a month. At that point my friend invited me in purely informally just to see the office and meet the team for lunch. During that visit I connected with the VP of Engineering/hiring manager for this particular role in-person and let him know that I was interested in joining the team and that I had applied online.

I got an email about a week later inviting me back into the office for a more formal 4.5-hour series of interviews (my guess is there would normally have been a phone screen before this, but since I spoke with the hiring manager directly the week prior, I'd bet they decided to skip that step). The first half-hour was a tour of the office and an explanation of the company's various departments. The next four hours were a series of hour-long interviews, two technical and two non-technical.

The first hour was a non-technical lunch discussion with the VP of Engineering to talk more about my qualifications and the role in question. It was nothing particularly scary and went smoothly.

That interview was followed by an hour of technical questions with two of the company's developers--mostly pseudo-coding on a whiteboard--where I was quizzed on my knowledge of Ruby on Rails and relational database design. The questions started easy (how would I iterate through an array of integers and print each of them to the console one at a time), and got progressively harder as the interview went on. I was also asked a series of non-technical questions intended to expose my communication style and ability to explain detailed/technical information to someone less knowledgeable on the subject.

The third hour was pair-programming--with two different developers--in which I was asked to code a basic front-end game using JavaScript and jQuery. I was allowed to turn to them and/or the internet with questions if I got stuck, but was expected to do all the coding myself and explain my strategy for designing the game as I built it. Pro-tip: DON'T GOOGLE FOR A TUTORIAL. That defeats the purpose of the exercise and will pretty much disqualify you. The one red flag I noticed in the overall process happened during this hour: The exercise was supposed to be emailed to me in advance so I could be prepared for it, but it wasn't, so they had to give it to me on the spot. I think they took that into account as we paired, though, and in the end that probably made it a better test of my ability to think on my feet and problem-solve than if I had had a couple days to prep in advance.

The final hour was with an Engineering Manager, and was for the most part non-technical. It centered around my coding philosophies and processes, and ended up being more of a two-way discussion on the company's project management style and team structure. I enjoyed the conversation and it was very low stress.

I sent hand-written thank you notes to each of my interviewers after it was over, and received an offer two-and-a-half weeks later (after one or two follow-ups to the company's HR team).

Interview Questions

• How would you iterate through an array of integers and print only the even ones to the console one at a time?   Answer Question
    • What's the difference between an outer-join and an inner-join in SQL?   Answer Question
    • Design a database relationship for a school where students have a single professor, but each professor has multiple students. (assume SQLite or PostgreSQL)   Answer Question
    • Design a database relationship for a school where students enroll in multiple courses, professors teach only a single course, and each student gets a letter grade for each course they take. (assume SQLite or PostgreSQL)   Answer Question
    • Tell us something you're an expert on and explain something about it that most other people aren't aware of.   Answer Question

SSA Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Custom Ink.

Interview

Interview was lengthy, but totally worth it. A few different people interviewed me, and I also got to have a tour of the facilities. The staff was friendly :) They offered me snacks, coffee, etc. I felt very comfortable there.

SSA Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Charlottesville, VA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Custom Ink (Charlottesville, VA) in October 2015.

Interview

Very lengthy. The process consisted of an online video interview, a phone interview, and a three hour in person interview consisting of multiple tests and a session shadowing a current employee. Everyone was very friendly and made CustomInk seem like a terrific place to work with a lot of benefits offered to their employees. It was nice to get a feel for what a typical day working there would be like.

Interview Questions

• Tell us about a time when you took a risk and how it worked out for you   Answer Question

Internship Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Interview

There were three phone interviews. One with HR two with staff members. Each phone interview took about one hour and touched on a variety of web development topics, such as database structures and planing.

Intern - Hourly Interview

Anonymous Employee in Fairfax, VA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Custom Ink (Fairfax, VA) in June 2015.

Interview

Applied on their website for team internship and my application was pulled for another department.
    After a month I received an email about a phone interview. The phone interview was very short and sweet, just about why I was interested and my experience and most of it was her describing the position and answering any questions I had. HR is extremely thorough and very nice. Then I received an email the next day about coming in for an interview sometime early the following week. The interview was extremely casual and all of the questions were just about my resume, experience, level with certain programs and how I handle stress and deal with project management. I was first interviewed by two people in the department and then had a 1:1 with the dept. coordinator that was also extremely casual. About two weeks later I received a phone call with an offer.

Marketing Interview

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Custom Ink in July 2013.

Interview

CustomInk moves quickly, then not at all. After a phone interview, an in-person interview, an in-person panel interview, and a second in-person interview, I heard from HR, "We love you! We can totally see you as part of our team! We'll be in touch in a week." Then, crickets. I email a little after the week goes by. "We love you! Just give us some time to figure something out!" Again, crickets. Lather, rinse, repeat. I quit my job because everything I'd heard from CustomInk lead me to believe that the job was mine. I only got a straight answer from them after I said I had another offer (which I did). Then, their story flipped from "We love you!" to "Well, we actually want another candidate for the FT job...how would you like to be a contractor?" Frustrating beyond belief.

Interview Questions

Could only offer a contractor position, not the FT position I had interviewed for.

Marketing Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Fairfax, VA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 6+ weeks. I interviewed at Custom Ink (Fairfax, VA) in September 2015.

Interview

As other reviewers have noted, CustomInk moves very fast, then nothing at all. Process included a phone screen with the hiring manager, then another phone screen with HR. After that scheduled an in person interview with four people, 1 hour each. After that they would "be in touch", it took a full 30 days to hear back.

Interview Questions

• They attempted to do technical questions, but vague technical questions.   Answer Question