Democracy Prep Public Schools Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Sort:
  1. Featured Interview

Middle School Math Teacher Interview

Anonymous Employee in Baton Rouge, LA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Democracy Prep Public Schools (Baton Rouge, LA) in March 2017.

Interview

Two weeks before the interview I was given a topic that I would do a test teach of a lesson as part of the interview day. I was given plenty of material as well as a previous example to get guidelines. The interview day was packed with down to the minute class visitations and separate meetings with several important leaders and teachers throughout the campus. Be ready to hit the ground running interview day and be constantly on the move.

Interview Questions

• How would you reach out to the parent of a child that is struggling in your class?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Democracy Prep Public Schools (New York, NY).

Interview

Very simple and easy going. The leaders seem receptive and deep listeners at first blush. The process is apparently stream lines and scripted. Reading around reveals the process is very uniform... you apply, email response, video invitation, any questions, 3 hour interview including lesson demo, sit down afterwards and possible contract invitation. Based on perceived policies and contract... this is a business model and managed as such.

Interview Questions

• what can I bring to the school beyond the classroom? i felt the question was squarely pointed at participating and/or heading extra-curriculars.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Democracy Prep Public Schools (New York, NY) in July 2015.

Interview

First I applied online, then I was contacted to complete a virtual interview. After the virtual interview I did a phone interview where I was asked questions about my classroom management and pedagogy. These questions were exactly the type one would expect at an interview to teach. After the phone interview I met with school leadership on the campus I had applied to. They repeated some of the same questions I was asked over the phone. It was a bit of an intimidating experience, and I am not one to be intimidated during interviews. Perhaps it was because I really thought I needed the job.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Democracy Prep Public Schools (New York, NY) in June 2015.

Interview

They first took me around the school to observe classroom management skills. Then there was a brief demo lesson. They look for strong classroom management skills. The demo lesson is followed by a debrief where you are asked to evaluate how you did. Then the observer tells you what he thinks you did well and what you did wrong and could improve. Some questions are asked about your resume.

Teacher Interview

Interview

First I Submit resume. Soon after I received a phone call where they asked some generic interview questions and asked if I had any questions for them. After that they sent me a link to a video where I got asked a question (prerecorded by students, the questions were made by adults though) and I had to record myself answering them. After that I was asked to come in for a demo lesson. Immediately after the lesson they offered me the job.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Camden, NJ

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Democracy Prep Public Schools (Camden, NJ) in March 2017.

Interview

I applied online, HR contacted via phone, phone screen, scheduled an in person interview at the school, took a tour of the school with a student, had a pre-meeting with the administrators, and taught a demo lesson. After the demo lesson I met with the principal for my review. The pre-meeting with the administrators is not really an interview they talk about themselves, their past, the school, and then take you to the demo lesson. They do not ask about your teaching experience, philosophy, future goals, or why Democracy Prep.

Interview Questions

• Our hours are 7:00AM to 5:15PM are you ok with that schedule?   Answer Question
    • We have very high standards for our "scholars" can you give an example of how you would uphold this standard?   Answer Question
    • Teach a demo lesson - was given a 50 minute lesson to present in 20 minutes. I was instructed to prepare for 25-30 students and there was only 15 students present. I prepped handouts, color coded name plates, powerpoint, etc. See advice below for the demo lesson.   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Democracy Prep Public Schools (New York, NY) in February 2017.

Interview

The interview process began with a phone call from a recruiter with a few general interview questions and was followed-up with an online HireVue interview. The phone interview was very quick and general (Why Democracy Prep?, What do you want to teach?) and the online format required me to answer five questions which were all asked with a short (yet engaging) clip of a student asking the questions; you were given an allotted amount of time to answer the questions and could redo a question once. Following the online interview I was asked to come in for an in-person interview and demonstration lesson at a Middle School in Manhattan. The demonstration lesson was very quick and the group of scholars were well-behaved and receptive. Following my demonstration lesson I was given a few classes to observe for ~30 minutes prior to the lesson debrief and the interview. During the debrief I was asked to reflect on my lesson alongside providing feedback on what I saw during my observations. The school leadership team was very kind and transparent about how their school ran and what they were looking for and provided a lot of feedback (glows and grows) on my lesson and teaching style. I received my offer letter about a week after the interview, however, ultimately decided to accept an offer from another school that was a better fit for me.

Teacher Interview

Application

I interviewed at Democracy Prep Public Schools in March 2017.

Interview

I am a TFA candidate, so my interview was arranged by them. When I got to the school, I was given a tour by the principal of the elementary school and then escorted to a classroom to do a demo lesson. I gave the scripted lesson and then had time to reflect on my lesson before beginning my interview with the principal. I had my interview on a Monday morning, and the students were a little bit disengaged with the class before I began my lesson, which made it hard. The principal was very nice, but I was not introduced to many of the staff and didn't feel very welcomed.

Interview Questions

• Are you okay with very long hours? How will you take care of yourself? Why do you want to work at Democracy Prep? He also had me redo my demo lesson with his feedback   Answer Question

Teacher Interview

Interview

It was quite fast and to the point. I filled out paperwork and answered a few more questions. It was over quick. The interviewer was interested because of my experience and background. I did receive an offer on the spot.

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Democracy Prep Public Schools (New York, NY) in August 2016.

Interview

First round interview, then demo lesson, then debrief. First round interview placed me in a location. Then demo lesson lasted thirty minutes with principal, assistant principal, and third member of administrative team taking notes as I taught a classroom of students and teachers. The debrief afterwards is important. It's important to be critical and attentive to detail. They look for people who are able to take feedback well.

Interview Questions

• They had me prepare my own lesson plan. What were some pros and cons of your lesson?   1 Answer

Negotiation

Did not negotiate