Dimagi Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Apr 7, 2017

2.9

Mobile Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cambridge, MA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Dimagi (Cambridge, MA) in April 2017.

Interview

First of all, although I ended didn't getting the offer from them my overall experience from the interview with them was positive.

Basically, their interview consists of 3 parts:
    1)Phone screen - Talk with the dev and code online with them
    2)On-site 3 hour interview, 2 with developers, 1 with non-developer on the tech team
      (Whiteboard coding)
    3)Final on-site interview, where given an assignment which you have to complete within 3 - 4 hours and discuss with a group of developers about the assignment

I got to the final part of the interview. I was basically tasked to create an app to that takes in commands, and based on the commands I would output the response. An example would be like, if I typed "help", it would list out all the commands and what they do in an output text.

I was able to get most of it done and added a couple extra features in like say when the user inputs "lunch", the app would redirect to Google Maps which lists out all the restaurants nearby. Also, like having one of the commands redirect to the Youtube app, and web browser and such.

I honestly felt confident that I was able to achieve all of these under a time constraint and added extra features too. Thinking that I would get the offer, but ended up not getting it.

While I was deeply saddened to find out about this, I did get some feedback about my final interview. Although I have gotten most of the features working, they mentioned that they would like to see more abstraction and encapsulation to avoid code repetition. Which was something I didn't think about since I was under a time constraint and have to get features working. I usually have the mindset of getting things done first, then optimize it and make it look clean later. I guess my optimization and cleaning parts need more work.

Overall, what do I think about this company? Would I recommend people to apply to this company?
    My answer is yes! The people I met are really nice and friendly people, NO JOKE! From what I've experienced talking to them, they give me an impression that they have fun both in and out of work which I think is an important aspect in a job.
    NOTE: The reason why the interview lasted around 3 weeks was because that their mobile team was not around the area at that time, and that they wanted to setup an appropriate time for me to meet them.

Interview Questions

• How did you find Dimagi?   Answer Question
    • Given more time for the project, what other features would you add to the app?   1 Answer

Field Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Dimagi.

Interview

After applying, I recieved an auto-generated HR email to design a sample app in the CommCare forum. I was contacted for a Skype interview after I successfully completed the app design. The interview was friendly and straightforward - a "walk me through your resume" experience. I was contacted for a next round interview about 3 weeks later. In the second round, I was told that Dimagi pays its Field Managers about $15,000 USD annually. I withdrew from the interview process at that point, as this would not be enough to live on and pay back student loans, save, etc. The third round would have been a case study.

Interview Questions

• How would you describe your ideal workplace?
      How would you cope with traveling for long periods of time alone?
      When did you have to convince someone to do something they didn't want to do?
      Answer Question

Field Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Dimagi.

Interview

I had several interviews with various members of the Cambridge and Dakar-based teams, including over the phone, skype and in-person. The interviews were generally relaxed and included different hypotheticals that seemed designed to see how you would approach/work through a given challenge. All of the Dimagi employees seemed very accessible and interested in cultural "fit" for the position. One of the interviews was conducted in French.

Software Engineer Interview

Interview

A simple skype interview. something about the time complexity of all kinds of data structures like array, list, stack, queues. Also ask several questions about database, some basic definitions.
    also asked strongly typed and weakly typed language.
    Fibonacci and reverse a string. the first one is to select numbers from 1 to 100 which is times of 3 and 5. easy to handle but also asked to optimize it. A little confused about it

Interview Questions

• implement fibonacci. reverse a string and remove adjacent duplicate element in the string
      the first simple one is to print out times of 3 and 5 from 1 to 100
      some basic database, data strucutre questions
      Answer Question

Field Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Dimagi.

Interview

After applying I was initially contacted and asked to complete a tutorial and create a small survey using their CommCare software, in addition to sending them a writing sample and a short explanation of how I would teach an illiterate, french-speaking woman how to use their software. I was contacted very quickly after turning these exercises in for a skype interview. The Skype interview was followed by an in person interview at their Cambridge office. The field manager position is their entry level position and they claim to hire many of their upper level staff from the field managers. Field managers are paid a "living stipend" which seems to be the same regardless of the site you will be working at. This was not made clear to me until the in person interview, and I would not have been interested had I known this. They are a for-profit company and they seem to be growing and doing very well, so why they opt not to compensate their employees is beyond me. They do seem to be growing a bit too fast and they don't know how to direct this growth, because they had me in for an interview and told me they didn't really know where they had space for me. I was fairly annoyed by this, as it seemed like they were wasting my time and theirs

Interview Questions

• Is there any work you do not want to do?   Answer Question
    • What are you trying to get out of your next position?   Answer Question
    • Can you give an example of a time you received and incorporated feedback?   Answer Question
    • How did you like building an app in CommCare?   Answer Question
    • Can you tell me about a time when a project blew up in your face and how you responded?   Answer Question

Field Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 6 weeks. I interviewed at Dimagi in December 2012.

Interview

Skype chats/calls with several people and behavioral questions. Most people were fairly high up at the company and were very easy going. Everyone I talked to had great energy and seemed really smart, they were also really good at asking about what I wanted and clarified a lot of my uneasiness about the uncertainty of the position.

Interview Questions

• Mostly behavioral about the work that I had done in the past and what I was interested in and how I would handle certain situations in a project.   1 Answer

Field Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cape Town (South Africa)

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Dimagi (Cape Town (South Africa)).

Interview

Applied online and was immediately sent three activities to complete. Asked for writing sample, to create documentation and build a form in CommCare. First interview was about a week after I submitted my materials. It was an average interview but the questions were posed slightly differently than normal. A couple of questions about how I would react to situations.They were pretty slow with letting me know if I made it to the next round. The second round was case study interview - lasted about two and a half hours. Good about emailing to say they found another candidate.

Interview Questions

• What can you positively contribute to an office environment?   Answer Question

Field Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in New Delhi (India)

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 weeks. I interviewed at Dimagi (New Delhi (India)) in March 2016.

Interview

The interview process lasted for about a month and I went through 3 rounds of interview. One Skype and 2 in-person. The process had some technical questions but was primarily focused on ascertaining your motivation and fit for the development sector. Interviews are fairly relaxed having a conversational format.

Product Analyst Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at Dimagi in May 2015.

Interview

The first thing was to do the exercise. Very easy, you learn their app builder and write a specification for adding a new feature. The second interview was HR phone interview.

Interview Questions

• Why Epic? If you are to write specification, what steps would you take?   Answer Question

Software Engineering Intern Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Dimagi.

Interview

I got my CV forwarded by an employee I personally knew. After about a week I got contacted and a phone interview was set up. First they asked me various cs related questions:

* How would you search for all occurrences of a pattern in a group of files.
    * What is the maximum value of an Int.
    * What are the complexities of various operations on lists, arrays, stacks, etc.
    * If a client calls you telling the server is down, what would you do?

In general I didn't get any extremely though question. Also two programming assignments:

Implement the Fibonacci function, optimize it to run in linear time and constant memory.