Dimagi Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Oct 9, 2017

2.9

Mobile Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cambridge, MA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Dimagi (Cambridge, MA) in April 2017.

Interview

First of all, although I ended didn't getting the offer from them my overall experience from the interview with them was positive.

Basically, their interview consists of 3 parts:
    1)Phone screen - Talk with the dev and code online with them
    2)On-site 3 hour interview, 2 with developers, 1 with non-developer on the tech team
      (Whiteboard coding)
    3)Final on-site interview, where given an assignment which you have to complete within 3 - 4 hours and discuss with a group of developers about the assignment

I got to the final part of the interview. I was basically tasked to create an app to that takes in commands, and based on the commands I would output the response. An example would be like, if I typed "help", it would list out all the commands and what they do in an output text.

I was able to get most of it done and added a couple extra features in like say when the user inputs "lunch", the app would redirect to Google Maps which lists out all the restaurants nearby. Also, like having one of the commands redirect to the Youtube app, and web browser and such.

I honestly felt confident that I was able to achieve all of these under a time constraint and added extra features too. Thinking that I would get the offer, but ended up not getting it.

While I was deeply saddened to find out about this, I did get some feedback about my final interview. Although I have gotten most of the features working, they mentioned that they would like to see more abstraction and encapsulation to avoid code repetition. Which was something I didn't think about since I was under a time constraint and have to get features working. I usually have the mindset of getting things done first, then optimize it and make it look clean later. I guess my optimization and cleaning parts need more work.

Overall, what do I think about this company? Would I recommend people to apply to this company?
    My answer is yes! The people I met are really nice and friendly people, NO JOKE! From what I've experienced talking to them, they give me an impression that they have fun both in and out of work which I think is an important aspect in a job.
    NOTE: The reason why the interview lasted around 3 weeks was because that their mobile team was not around the area at that time, and that they wanted to setup an appropriate time for me to meet them.

Interview Questions

• How did you find Dimagi?   Answer Question
    • Given more time for the project, what other features would you add to the app?   1 Answer

Field Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Dimagi.

Interview

After applying, I recieved an auto-generated HR email to design a sample app in the CommCare forum. I was contacted for a Skype interview after I successfully completed the app design. The interview was friendly and straightforward - a "walk me through your resume" experience. I was contacted for a next round interview about 3 weeks later. In the second round, I was told that Dimagi pays its Field Managers about $15,000 USD annually. I withdrew from the interview process at that point, as this would not be enough to live on and pay back student loans, save, etc. The third round would have been a case study.

Interview Questions

• How would you describe your ideal workplace?
      How would you cope with traveling for long periods of time alone?
      When did you have to convince someone to do something they didn't want to do?   Answer Question

Field Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Dimagi.

Interview

I had several interviews with various members of the Cambridge and Dakar-based teams, including over the phone, skype and in-person. The interviews were generally relaxed and included different hypotheticals that seemed designed to see how you would approach/work through a given challenge. All of the Dimagi employees seemed very accessible and interested in cultural "fit" for the position. One of the interviews was conducted in French.

Software Engineer Interview

Interview

A simple skype interview. something about the time complexity of all kinds of data structures like array, list, stack, queues. Also ask several questions about database, some basic definitions.
    also asked strongly typed and weakly typed language.
    Fibonacci and reverse a string. the first one is to select numbers from 1 to 100 which is times of 3 and 5. easy to handle but also asked to optimize it. A little confused about it

Interview Questions

• implement fibonacci. reverse a string and remove adjacent duplicate element in the string
      the first simple one is to print out times of 3 and 5 from 1 to 100
      some basic database, data strucutre questions   Answer Question

Field Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Dimagi.

Interview

After applying I was initially contacted and asked to complete a tutorial and create a small survey using their CommCare software, in addition to sending them a writing sample and a short explanation of how I would teach an illiterate, french-speaking woman how to use their software. I was contacted very quickly after turning these exercises in for a skype interview. The Skype interview was followed by an in person interview at their Cambridge office. The field manager position is their entry level position and they claim to hire many of their upper level staff from the field managers. Field managers are paid a "living stipend" which seems to be the same regardless of the site you will be working at. This was not made clear to me until the in person interview, and I would not have been interested had I known this. They are a for-profit company and they seem to be growing and doing very well, so why they opt not to compensate their employees is beyond me. They do seem to be growing a bit too fast and they don't know how to direct this growth, because they had me in for an interview and told me they didn't really know where they had space for me. I was fairly annoyed by this, as it seemed like they were wasting my time and theirs

Interview Questions

• Is there any work you do not want to do?   Answer Question
    • What are you trying to get out of your next position?   Answer Question
    • Can you give an example of a time you received and incorporated feedback?   Answer Question
    • How did you like building an app in CommCare?   Answer Question
    • Can you tell me about a time when a project blew up in your face and how you responded?   Answer Question

Field Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 6 weeks. I interviewed at Dimagi in December 2012.

Interview

Skype chats/calls with several people and behavioral questions. Most people were fairly high up at the company and were very easy going. Everyone I talked to had great energy and seemed really smart, they were also really good at asking about what I wanted and clarified a lot of my uneasiness about the uncertainty of the position.

Interview Questions

• Mostly behavioral about the work that I had done in the past and what I was interested in and how I would handle certain situations in a project.   1 Answer

Program Director Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New Delhi (India)

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Dimagi (New Delhi (India)) in September 2017.

Interview

It was a 3 round interview - fairly simple questions. Very well organized, on time and in quick succession. The reason for my negative rating is the method of conveying to the candidate - there was an automated mail response received 10 days after my asking for a feedback. Considering that it was fairly a senior level and that one had to spend considerable amount of time going through the 3 rounds, it would have been more humane if the hiring manager could send an email explaining the reason for not selecting the candidate. Fairly impersonal at the end especially as the initial stages of the hiring process was carried out very efficiently.

Interview Questions

• The first round was an overview of self followed by an interview of case studies and role plays. The final interview was mainly behavioral.   Answer Question

Field Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New Delhi (India)

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Dimagi (New Delhi (India)) in July 2017.

Interview

The stages of application were organised well. Apply on their website. Complete some tasks online (sent over email) within a week. Skype interview. Everything was clearly communicated by them.
    Would've been helpful if they provided a reason for rejection.

Interview Questions

• Where have you used your problem solving skills in the past?   Answer Question

ICT Manager, Agriculture Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cape Town (South Africa)

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Dimagi (Cape Town (South Africa)) in April 2017.

Interview

The first step consisted in a Take Home Test, where you had to: 1- Write instructions for a literate woman from a rural area on how to create a new SMS; 2- Watch some tutorials on Dimagi's application CommCare and then perform few application developments based on instructions given. It was not very difficult, the kind of logic needed is similar to excel complex formulas and formatting.
    The second step was a 1,5 hours Skype interview divided into different stages: 1- General questions; 2- Case studies; 3- Further application development.
    At the time, I did not find any review on Glassdoor saying that app development skills were going to be further tested and it was not specified in the interview invite. Furthermore, some of the applications customization to be performed had not been covered in the tutorial. Maybe, knowing in advance would have helped in better preparing.

Interview Questions

• What other jobs are you applying to?   Answer Question
    • Tell me about a time you could not meet a deadline   Answer Question
    • What would you do if the client asks you to make amendments to the application and you have a very limited time before the go live scheduled date?   Answer Question

Field Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cape Town (South Africa)

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Dimagi (Cape Town (South Africa)).

Interview

Applied online and was immediately sent three activities to complete. Asked for writing sample, to create documentation and build a form in CommCare. First interview was about a week after I submitted my materials. It was an average interview but the questions were posed slightly differently than normal. A couple of questions about how I would react to situations.They were pretty slow with letting me know if I made it to the next round. The second round was case study interview - lasted about two and a half hours. Good about emailing to say they found another candidate.

Interview Questions

• What can you positively contribute to an office environment?   Answer Question