Dolphin Technology Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Dolphin Technology Interview Questions

2.8

Circuit Design Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Jose, CA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Dolphin Technology (San Jose, CA).

Interview

Waste of Time and Money. I had to fly down to interview with this company in a short time period. The interview went well, I answered all the questions correctly and the interviewer were also impressed with me, my projects were tailored for that position. The was was only for 2 hours and I was interviewed by 2 people one hour each. So I get a mail the very next day saying that they have better candidates for the position than me for the interview and they are going ahead with them. I means seriously? If you aren't hiring and aren't sponsoring for the on site interview then please don't waste job aspirants money and time, you don't know how it feels.

Interview Questions

• Basic MOSFET, CMOS questions were asked.   11 Answers

SRAM/I/O Buffer Designer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Jose, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Dolphin Technology (San Jose, CA) in June 2016.

Interview

They directly sent an email regarding onsite Interview. As can be seen from previous reviews, they DO NOT pay for the travel and stay expense, though they were flexible with interview dates.

Suggestion: Keep this firm as your last resort. Moreover, if you stay in some other city than san Jose, DO NOT come for the on site interview. Not worth your time. FYI: They call almost all applicants for ON SITE directly. Sorry to spoil your excitement. By the way, if you stay in Bay area, this can be a good mock interview practice.

Interview Questions

• Pass Transistor, Verilog latch Flipflop, etc, whatever is mentioned in previous reviews.   1 Answer

Interview

Applied online, Direct got onsite interview but didn't pay for the travel expense. Two rounds of interview. One for memory group and one for IO group. For the memory group, they asked a lot about the sense amplifier, Static Time Analysis. For the IO group, the guy just give me a sheet of questions and half an hour to finish. Then he went back to work till I finished. Questions are the same with others and not so hard.

Interview Questions

• The same questions asked as the top one's review.   1 Answer

Digital Design Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Dolphin Technology in November 2014.

Interview

I submitted application and got on-site interview directly, then they arranged my interview on one afternoon, but they don't cover the travel expense, so I booked the flight by myself. One day before the interview, they emailed me and informed me the position is taken, so my interview is canceled, although I already arrived at San Jose at that time for interview. They don't care my cost on flight ticket at all so that I lost $500, two days and an interview opportunity. I don't what to say about it, if you decide to choose one candidate among applicants, you should at least interview all the applicants that got interview opportunity. It concerns with the reputation of the company!

Electrical Engineer Interview

Interview

They gave me an email and told me to be onsite directly. 3 people talked with me and they were focusing on different area. Just had a chat with each of them and the questions they ask were easy. Most of the questions were focusing on resume.

Digital Circuit Design Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Dolphin Technology in October 2014.

Interview

I applied online and a few days later I got an email inviting me for an onsite interview. Strangely they skipped the phone interview and I though it's because my resume was looking good enough to them but I was wrong! As it turned out later they even hadn't looked at my resume. I wasn't living in San Jose and the email clearly stated that they won't reimburse travel expenses. At the beginning I was hesitant to spend a lot of money to book a flight and hotel to go to onsite interview but later I thought it might be worth it if I get the job.

The interview was on Friday afternoon. There was no schedule or plan of any sort for who should interview me and when. The HR just selected two junior engineers on the spot to interview me. It was obvious that they were not prepared to interview me and they had no idea what is in my resume. Then a senior engineer showed up to interview me. The moment he looked at my resume he told me that I don't seem a good fit to the job and that they are looking for someone with more transistor-level design experience and less RTL design experience. I liked his quick and honest feedback but I also got very annoyed that why they didn't check my resume beforehand so I didn't have to spend significant time and money to prepare and travel to San Jose. The senior engineer who seemed a nice guy then gave me some advice on choosing the right career path that I really liked and appreciated but still it didn't make me less upset for wasting my time and money to go to a useless interview.

I just wrote this to let you know that if you got direct onsite interview first of all do not get excited and then if you are not living in San Jose you might want to think twice before spending a lot of money to plan a trip.

Interview Questions

• All general and easy questions on the MOSFET and inverter operation, transistor-level gate design (e.g. static and dynamic XOR), how SRAM and Sense Amplifier work etc.   Answer Question

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Dolphin Technology (San Jose, CA).

Interview

Got Direct Onsite Interview call. The interview was scheduled on Friday in the later half of the day. 3 rounds took place of around 45 minutes each. Was called for another 3+1(Meeting with Director) rounds on Monday as people left early because of being a Friday. First 3 rounds were taken by 1-2 years experienced people. Last 3 rounds by senior Engineers who asked really good questions.
    Here are the questions asked. People should not panic looking at some questions as most of them were from the projects:

1) What is Flat Placement?
    2) Sense Amplifier Working and Schematic
    3) How BL got a glitch during read? Ans: Sense Amp’s NMOS driven by BL and BLB with 0.9V and 0.1V gives 2 discharge paths.(Draw yourself and see)
    4) Out of NMOS logic on NAND(series NMOS), NOR(Parallel NMOS) and inverter(Single NMOS), which is faster? Which consumes maximum power.
    5) Which part of SRAM design consumes the most power? Ans: Read. Bitlines charging and discharging consumes a lot of power and is the reason to cutoff Sense Amp after 100mV to not let bit line drain all down to 0.
    6) Pass Transistor circuit voltages at some nodes.
    7) Negative Setup and Hold. Can we have both occurring together?
    8) Verilog always block with blocking and nonblocking DFF implementation and what hardware they will synthesize by both?
    9) Monte-Carlo simulation of 100mV sense Amp differential voltage at worst and best case.
    10) What is a Ring Oscillator and what are its applications?
    11) What is worst P(Process)?
    12) Simulated Annealing Algorithm? What other Algorithm for Placement?
    13) SRAM Layout
    14) Latch Setup Hold and why don’t we have setup and hold of latch at positive edge?
    15) Tristate implementations and which one is better? consider in terms of power
    16) SRAM Read waveforms
    17) (A+B)C + D implementation and sizing with the inverter sized to 1 and 2 for NMOS and PMOS respectively.
    18) What is STA?
    19) How you measured the Wirelength in Flat Placement?
    20) How you decide the 80mV value for Read Sense Amp?
    21) How you assert SAE to get this value?
    22) How can you cut off your BL and BLB after sense AMP has read the value to save power.

From Senior People:
    23) Draw layout of SRAM cell
    24) How you size it?
    25) How you determine Read and Write SNM.
    26) Draw Sense Amplifier schematic that you used. How you assert SA enable signal? How do you determine delta V for SenseAmp?
    27) Draw Transistor characteristics and why it is quadratic over the top at saturation? Could it be something else?(He wanted to know the short channel equation)
    28) What you did in the ring oscillator project and what were the maximum and minimum operating frequencies?
    29) Why pinch off occurs?
    30) Find how many times your name occurs in a text file (PERL)
    31) Write verilog always block for a DFF and a Dlatch
    32) Draw NAND schematic and size it for FO4
    33) Do you have any other offer or interview?

Interview Questions

• Why there is a pinch-off during saturation mode of a CMOS device?   1 Answer
    • How Sense Amplifier works.   3 Answers

Negotiation

Couldn't negotiate as I am a Fresher.

Memory Design Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Dolphin Technology in June 2014.

Interview

They never support any of your travel expense for the interview even if you live in East. Very fundamental questions and they don't understand new techniques because they look you down.

Circuit Design Engineer Interview

Interview

the onsite interview took 7 round, each interview about 30 to 40 minutes

Circuit Design Interview

Interview

On site interview 4 persons