Duolingo Interview Questions

Updated May 11, 2022

To filter interviews, or .
Found 188 of over 188 interviews

Campus Recruiting7%
3.1
HardAverageEasy

Duolingo

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Duolingo

Interview

Overall a really good, organized experience. Janine and Kim were communicative throughout the process (ex. changes in JD, etc.) and did what they could to speed things along as much as possible. Process consisted of chats with hiring manager, direct team + collaborative partners, and a portfolio presentation. Had a centralized interview portal which made it easy for research and prep. Interview questions were thoughtful and very career path-oriented (which you don't get everywhere). You can tell Duo has a great culture and is selective about who they choose to join their ranks. The process was transparent throughout. I felt adequately prepared at each step. Looking forward to re-applying in the future.

Interview Questions
  • Q: Tell me about a time... Q: What brands are you inspired by right now? Q: Walk us through 2-3 projects that are most relevant to this role. Include strategy, process, and results. Q: How do you measure success?
    Answer Question

Duolingo

Application

I interviewed at Duolingo

Interview

2 rounds of coding interviews. Recruiters were very friendly and helpful, interested in finding a good culture fit for the company. Interviewers were also very friendly and would guide you through the questions.

Interview Questions
Be the first to find this interview helpful

What people are saying about Duolingo

Join the conversation on

Tech

209.6K Members

Ask candid career questions

-1 - https://www.fishbowlapp.com/bowl/technology/posts?cf=gd&utm_medium=Glassdoor&utm_source=glassdoor.com&utm_campaign=Interviews&utm_content=Employer-content-integrated-Interviews&utm_term=Duolingo~629348
Join the conversation on

Duolingo

Application

I interviewed at Duolingo

Interview

Pretty standard. Went on 4 hours. Didn't really say why I wasn't hired, thought it went well. Asked around - they seem oddly choosy even though many applicants are qualified...takes up a lot of your time.

Interview Questions
Be the first to find this interview helpful

Duolingo

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Duolingo

Interview

Screening interview, followed by interview with hiring manager, followed by interview with hiring manager's manager, followed by take-home task, followed by virtual "on-site" final round. Throughout the process, it became clear how amazing everyone at Duolingo is. The interviewers were all friendly and the conversations were largely casual. Just from the interviews, I could sense that Duolingo has a wonderful culture. I also enjoyed the opportunity to interview/speak with senior leaders of the company during this process. I felt this opportunity was somewhat unusual for a company as established as Duolingo. The availability and approachability of senior leadership was a huge positive. My recruiter did an amazing job of keeping in touch and offering immediate updates on my application. This was easily the best recruitment process that I have experienced.

Interview Questions
  • At first, there were questions about my experience and interest in Duolingo. After, the questions were a bit more analytical and assessed how I would think through different business challenges. I felt that all of the questions were designed to identify whether I would be a good fit for the role AND for the company.

Duolingo

Application

I interviewed at Duolingo

Interview

Started with general questions about job, my interest. Then we discussed the task they had assigned and that I completed as first step. Finally there was the discussion of a new task. Time for questions at the end

Interview Questions
Be the first to find this interview helpful

Duolingo

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 week. I interviewed at Duolingo

Interview

I applied online through my school's handshake portal and received a response from a campus recruiter 1 or 2 weeks later. Our initial phone screen included behavioral questions, which caught me off-guard. Before ending our call I was asked to complete a design challenge in order to be considered for a next-round interview. The challenge took me 3 days to complete and I received an automated email stating they wouldn't move forward with my candidacy and were unable to provide feedback on the challenge. Very disappointed.

Interview Questions
  • How do you respond to push-back from design developers/engineers?

Duolingo

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Duolingo in Apr 2022

Interview

A very positive experience! The process was thoroughly communicated by the recruiters from beginning to end. I started off with a standard preliminary interview with the hiring manager and then moved to a virtual on-site interview a couple weeks later. The on-site interview required me to make a presentation covering a couple of my past projects and my overall work experience. After that, I had the opportunity to meet with several of the design team members who were incredibly welcoming and informative. There was a whiteboard session that was a bit challenging on the spot, but the animator was very kind and gave great feedback.

Interview Questions
  • Questions related to my ability to work on a team, my creative inspirations, reasons why I want to work for Duolingo

Anonymous Employee in Pitts, PA

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 weeks. I interviewed at Duolingo (Pitts, PA) in Mar 2022

Interview

it was very pleasant and everyone was kind and welcoming! I even got an uber eats lunch gift card which was super appreciated and not expected!! I had to create a presentation about myself and a few projects I am proud of to present to the team , then after that we went to do 1:1 with the different teams and got to know them individually

Interview Questions
  • lots of great questions not just to learn about my skills but also to see what I am interested in on the long run and my career goals. there was also an animatic exercise that was a bit scary to be put on the spot but the creative director and animator were so friendly and really helped make it feel more relaxed

Duolingo

Application

The process took 2 months. I interviewed at Duolingo in Mar 2022

Interview

Phone Screen with Recruiter, followed by first round which was a take home presentation. Prepare and present in a 30 minute interview to 3 panelists. There are 2 options of the prompt for experienced hires. The responses from the recruiter are extremely delayed. Have not experienced this in 2022 from any company for product roles. The prompt seems to be an easy way to get ideas for the duolingo product, instead of testing for competency. The process does not leave a pleasant impression of the company.

Interview Questions
  • Present ideas to improve the Duolingo app- with wireframes, why and how will you prioritize. Present for 15 minutes and Q&A for the remaining.

Anonymous Employee in Pittsburgh, PA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 months. I interviewed at Duolingo (Pittsburgh, PA) in Mar 2022

Interview

I had a total of 3 stages. I had one preliminary phone interview with a recruiter which was pretty straightforward, I had a second phone interview with a design manager which focused more gauging my technical knowledge, and a third, final "on-site" interview; However, because of COVID, the "on-site" interview was conducted via Zoom, but it still took about a half day and has a similar schedule one would expect for an on-site interview. Additionally, I was given a food voucher by Duolingo to pay for lunch on the Interview day which was pretty cool! The team made me feel welcome in every stage, and at times it felt more like a conversation than interview because he team knew how to make an atmosphere that relieved any stress.

Interview Questions
  • Asked about why I wanted to work for Duolingo, how I approach certain problems that may arise in a project or in the workplace environment, had a white-board challenge that involved storyboarding out a prompt for a character (I was given the model sheet); other questions or conversations included things that inspire me artistically and my technical knowledge of animation/animation software.
Viewing 1 - 10 of 188 Interviews

Duolingo Interviews FAQs

Glassdoor users rated their interview experience at Duolingo as 44.0% positive with a difficulty rating score of 3.14 out of 5 (where 5 is the highest level of difficulty). Candidates interviewing for Software Engineer and Software Engineer(Internship) rated their interviews as the hardest, whereas interviews for Product Manager and SWE Intern roles were rated as the easiest.

The hiring process at Duolingo takes an average of 26 days when considering 193 user submitted interviews across all job titles. Candidates applying for IOS Engineer had the quickest hiring process (on average 11 days), whereas Learning Scientist roles had the slowest hiring process (on average 31 days).

Common stages of the interview process at Duolingo according to 193 Glassdoor interviews include:

Phone Interview: 30.87%