Duolingo Interview Questions

Updated Apr 9, 2021

To filter interviews, or .
Found 116 of over 116 interviews

Recruiter5%
3.1
HardAverageEasy

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Duolingo (Los Angeles, CA) in Apr 2021

Interview

I had a phone interview with the recruiter first. She was super nice, helpful and professional. Then, I submitted the take-home technical task for the position Curriculum Designer and then got the interview. I kind of assumed that getting the interview with the team manager already meant that I possess the qualities necessary for that position. What I did not expect was another technical task.... The interviewer was very business like. She asked me how to pronounce my name at the beginning, but I never heard her address me directly in my name throughout the whole process. It was nice that she told me from the beginning what the interview was composed of--some quesitons concerning my teaching experience, some questions concerning the take-home task I submitted and some new technical questions. For the first part, she asked me based on my past teaching experience, what would be the most difficult things for A1 leve learners of English. For the second part, she mentioned a lot of things that I regarded very amateur. I remember the example answer given in the task treated "what's" in "what's your name" as a chunk unit for beginning learners, The idea is not to complicate things too much and just make learners remember stuff and then use them. I adopt the same way in my design, she insisted though that a "do you" question chunk is too hard for people to understand....I kind of felt that her background as a native English speaker who has never learnt English like I did made her feel that way. But...I learnt English, and she felt that as a white girl growing up here in the States makes her more qualified to understand what is hard for learners. Then for the third part, she shared her screen and gave me a similar design. She asked me what could be improved in that design. I mean usually people would not ask someone to do a task like that without preparation right? I could not keep her waiting there, and the interview pressure made me feel super uncomfortable. I was surprised to be honest. Even if this would be part of my job, I would not expect anyone, under pressure, just figure things out in like 2 minutes.

Interview Questions
  • The interview questions are described above.
    Answer Question
6 people found this interview helpful

Duolingo

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Duolingo

Interview

Received an OA, a bit challenging but managed to pass it. Second round was a single technical question related to using data structures. I overcomplicated and was rejected after this. Last round would have multiple back-to-back interviews.

Interview Questions
Be the first to find this interview helpful

Duolingo

Application

I interviewed at Duolingo

Interview

Based on my experience, this company does not implement best practices in hiring. They also don't practice the golden rule of treat the candidate as you would want to be treated.

Interview Questions
3 people found this interview helpful

Duolingo

Application

The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Duolingo

Interview

Typical algorithms and data structures questions. Kind of interesting as they try to make their questions unique. Did 2 skype interviews that went well, then I never heard back from them even after sending an email to both recruiters.

Interview Questions
1 person found this interview helpful

Duolingo

Application

I interviewed at Duolingo

Interview

Submitted resume online and was invited to a video 1st round consisting of two 45-min with the product team. I didn't pass to the second round, but should be similar length and format.

Interview Questions
Be the first to find this interview helpful

Duolingo

Application

I interviewed at Duolingo

Interview

Over the past year and a half, I have applied to multiple positions at Duolingo on their UX design and research teams. Despite having almost the exact experience and qualifications listed in their job postings, excellent public references, relevant educational background and extensive exposure to linguistics, I have yet to receive any consideration for an initial phone screen. It completely baffles me. I have even reached out to members of their team on LinkedIn (one of them is a direct connection) to show my interest in a non-annoying way and they don’t even respond. I’m wondering whether any of the open job postings are real. I’m certainly not so egotistical that I believe that they will just call me and offer me a job on the spot, but to not even get a preliminary interest email is frustrating. I don’t get why this company seems like an impenetrable fortress. My local contacts in the UX space kind of roll their eyes when I tell them that I would love the chance to to speak with them about my qualifications and passion. I’ve been told that Duolingo only looks for people with advanced degrees or recent grads. If that’s not you, then you are out automatically. This seems kind of crazy when you have a candidate with many years of relevant experience, recognized ability and tons of enthusiasm for that market space. I feel like they are disqualifying some really strong candidates pretty quickly. From reading some of the posts on here, it seems like I’m not the only one who is frustrated with their completely mysterious and haphazard hiring processes. At this point, I’m giving up on the company. When I first found out that I could find a local role where I could marry my love of design and research with my love of linguistics, I was so excited. But, at this point, it’s not worth it anymore. I know that they probably don’t care, but it’s worth noting that word gets around here in our small design community and if they continue to be snobbish, they will definitely become a less attractive place to apply to.

Interview Questions
2 people found this interview helpful

Duolingo

Application

I interviewed at Duolingo

Interview

Online assessment first, and then I talked with a software engineer for a video interview (1 hour), and finally the virtual super day. The virtual super day took around 5 hours (including lunch break).

Interview Questions
Be the first to find this interview helpful

Duolingo

Application

I interviewed at Duolingo

Interview

Between the first and second interviews, I completed a long screening assignment. The second interview was a half-day with several different people. After all that, I never did receive a phone call or email.

Interview Questions
2 people found this interview helpful

Duolingo

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Duolingo

Interview

OA, followed by a 1-hr technical with an engineer, and then another 1-hr technical with an engineer for the final round. Everyone was very friendly and the process was smooth, however, despite doing really well in my opinion, I didn't receive an offer. Must have been a competitive applicant pool.

Interview Questions
  • Standard coding exercises--explain your thoughts as you go and solve the problem

Duolingo

Application

I interviewed at Duolingo

Interview

HR is friendly but the interview process was long. They told you they would respond in a week but used a month to get back to you. Questions are average LC questions but you can be rejected even you figured everything out.

Interview Questions
1 person found this interview helpful
Viewing 1 - 10 of 116 Interviews