Duolingo Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Duolingo Interview Questions

Interviews at Duolingo

3.2

Product Designer Interview

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Duolingo.

Interview

There were 2 phone interviews, followed by a take-home design challenge, and then a four hour on-site interview with various team members I had to present work to & complete whiteboard challenge.

The in-house recruiter is very active in the beginning, does everything to lead you on, and make you think you are definitely getting the job. After the last round, she goes completely completely silent, m.i.a. Which is extremely disappointing.

During the final interview round, I remember she said she'd give me "feedback" in a week, which I thought was an odd choice of words. I realized what it meant was that I had just prepared hours for a job that they had already decided to give to someone else. Very exhausting process, so disappointing not to get a word on all the work and effort I put in. At least give me feedback to work off of...

Interview Questions

• What is the first thing you do when you are assigned design work?   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Duolingo.

Interview

I applied online, and then got scheduled for an online technical interview. I was told that I would receive a follow up email the following week after the interview. However, I never heard back from them (not even a reject email). On top of that, another recruiter reached out to me again a couple of weeks after this entire ordeal and asked if I was interested in the software engineer position. Because of my negative experience, I decided not to pursue the second opportunity. Recruiters / HR need to have a better system of knowing which candidates are already in the loop.

Product Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Duolingo.

Interview

they give you a case in which you need to choose a KPI and create a feature to improve this KPI, then you need to send the slides. If they like them you will have to do a presentation to a group of PMs

Interview Questions

• they give you a case in which you need to choose a KPI and create a feature to improve this KPI   1 Answer

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Duolingo.

Interview

2 video interviews on hackerrank, followed by onsite. Recruiter was very prompt to respond at all stages in the process. Fastest process I experienced. Not a lot of behavioral questions throughout the process, mostly technical. I think this is one area they could change a bit or add on

Interview Questions

• Not a lot of behavioral. Pair programming, prime number generation, classifying words in a different language given rules   Answer Question

IOS Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Duolingo (New York, NY) in April 2020.

Interview

I found the role through a 3rd party headhunting firm. I was given a take-home assignment to complete, which I submitted in a week, but then heard no feedback from the company for another 10 days, despite a few follow-ups. I eventually heard that Duolingo decided to pass, with no given reason, apparently "per company policy". Very puzzling and frustrating; I spent a good amount of time polishing up the project, and couldn't even get a canned cut-and-paste response as feedback.

Side-note: they supposedly offer $500 to candidates who complete the take-home project, but the processing has been very slow, once again despite follow-ups.

Software Engineer (Beijing) Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Pittsburgh, PA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Duolingo (Pittsburgh, PA) in February 2020.

Interview

Very positive experience! Duolingo is a great company with a great team and atmosphere.
    The interviewers were very friendly and made me feel comfortable. Smiles and encouragement!

After the onsite, they were somewhat unresponsive (had to send several emails before getting confirmation that I did not get an offer). But overall experience is positive!

Importantly, Duolingo's food is delicious!

1. Quick phone call
    2. Hackerrank
    3. Onsite (Moved from Beijing to US due to Corona)

Interview Questions

• Onsite involved three questions. Two whiteboard, and one pair-programming. Expect something similar to what most tech companies ask.   Answer Question

APM Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Pittsburgh, PA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Duolingo (Pittsburgh, PA) in January 2020.

Interview

Interviewed for APM starting in November, with an onsite in January. Process was arduous, including a take home assignment that I probably spent 10 hours on between initial submission and improvements for a later video presentation in front of 3 PMs. Made it to an onsite, which felt like it went well, then got completely and flat out ignored by the company. Sent a total of about 3-4 "bump" emails each to my recruiter and the PM that handled most of my interviews, with zero response. Missed a call from PA about 2 bumps in that I traced back to the recruiter, again with no explanation or follow-up. Shocked at this level of unprofessionalism and disrespect for a sincere interviewee's time, and cannot recommend that anyone else interview at this company. To Duolingo recruiters: maybe this post will get your attention? who knows?

Interview Questions

• Take home assignment (design a new feature for Duolingo) + product presentation + onsite with various business, design, product challenges   Answer Question

Associate Product Manager () Interview

Application

Interview

Half-hour phone screen followed by a product task. After that there was a video-chat presentation with a few members of the product team. Everyone throughout the process was super friendly and bright. The final step was an onsite that consisted of five back-to-back interviews testing different skills. Again, everyone was great, but although I was assured I would be given a call within a few days regardless of the decision, I was never contacted after the onsite. It was a long and pretty tiring process for an internship, and I would've appreciated a form rejection at least.

Interview Questions

• Design a new feature for the Duolingo app and write a product spec.   Answer Question

Software Developer Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Duolingo.

Interview

This was for new grad.

The first part is a coding challenge via hacker rank. This contained 2 medium level questions in 45 minutes.

If you pass that, you schedule a virtual interview for one hour. My interviewer asked me a medium level question and had follow up questions for it. You can only do this interview in Java, Javascript, and Python.

If you pass that, you get scheduled to onsite. There you get 2 technical interviews, and one pair programming interview in Python (You are not required to be proficient in it). I got asked one medium-hardish level question in each of the technical interviews. All interviews were one hour long at the onsite.

Even though I thought I did well in the on-site interviews, I was not extended an offer. Due to company policy, they were unable to provide feedback. However, I felt they treated me well, so overall it was a positive experience.

Associate Project Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Duolingo in December 2019.

Interview

The process started with a phone screen with a current PM. Then there was a take home project asking me to come up with an idea to improve the duolingo app. I wrote a 3-4 page description of the app with wireframes. The next step was a 30-min interview with PMs explaining the idea, and they asked questions about it.