Duolingo Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Duolingo Interview Questions

Updated Aug 8, 2018

3.3

Associate Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Duolingo in January 2015.

Interview

I received and E-mail from recruiter that immediately scheduled interview (phone interview) with a person that was probably one of the decision makers than was invited to work on a Homework assignment

Interview Questions

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Duolingo in February 2012.

Interview

- The first step was a phone screen (general discussion)
    - The second step was a test task to do at home (to test my language skills)
    - The third step was an in-person interview at the Duolingo HQ in Pittsburgh
    - Eventually, I had to provide three references.

Interview Questions

• Are you a Duolingo user?
      Why do you love Duolingo?
      What languages do you know, and what is your proficiency in each of them?
      What are your ideas to improve the language curriculum on Duolingo?   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Duolingo.

Interview

They have a quick turnaround for the initial technical screening. It's a straightforward screening: You'll be screen-sharing and asked to implement and test an algorithm in Python, with time for questions afterwards. They provide the starting code for the problem. Be prepared for some lateral thinking to find the optimal solution. They got back to me quickly after the initial interview.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Pittsburgh, PA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 days. I interviewed at Duolingo (Pittsburgh, PA) in September 2015.

Interview

I applied online, and was contacted a couple days later to set up a phone screen interview over the phone. During the phone screen, the interviewer asked me to implement some technical problems in an online code editor.

Interview Questions

• Q: Given a list of valid words, implement a function which maps a phone number to possible words it could spell.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Pittsburgh, PA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Duolingo (Pittsburgh, PA).

Interview

One technical phone screen followed by an onsite. The onsite lasted a day. It comprised 2 white-board interviews in the morning and a pair programming exercise in the afternoon. The questions were average; nothing too difficult/unexpected. Neutral experience overall. They have a quick response time.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Pittsburgh, PA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Duolingo (Pittsburgh, PA) in March 2016.

Interview

I interviewed at Duolingo in March 2016. I applied online and the process took about three weeks. The recruiter contacted me to set up a phone interview within the week. I had a second phone interview within a few days of the first. Finally, I scheduled an onsite interview two weeks later.

The phone screens were both with engineers and were almost entirely focused on solving a problem in an online code editor. The onsite consisted of two whiteboard interviews and a pair programming exercise.

My recruiter responded to all emails and interviews within hours if not minutes. All of my interviewers were very laid back and the environment was not intimidating. I ate lunch with the team and met people at all levels of the company.

Interview Questions

• I was asked to code a function on a whiteboard in a language of my choice. It didn't test any algorithmic knowledge or deep thinking but general programming ability.   Answer Question
    • Questions about algorithms on strings, not requiring code.   Answer Question
    • During the pair programming exercise, I was asked to edit a large library of code in some very simple ways.   1 Answer

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Duolingo.

Interview

One 1-hour technical phone interview that I didn't get past. Interview seemed fair for a technical position and someone with more coding experience probably would not have struggled with it. Only complaint is general lack of responsiveness from the company. Follow up to e-mails took days and they have not responded with post-rejection feedback at all.

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at Duolingo.

Interview

The Interview comprised of a Phone Screen and On site interview. They were super friendly and inviting, not intimidating at all. You will get the response very very quickly. I didn't get an offer, but it was a very good experience and interview. Would recommend, it's pretty low stress and casual and the people that work here are awesome.

Interview Questions

• Design an algorithm to do a task, and code it. Write tests as well.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Pittsburgh, PA

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Duolingo (Pittsburgh, PA).

Interview

I applied to the company for a software engineering internship position through my university.

They gave me a take home project, which I completed, and did really well in the interview. I received an offer, which I accepted.

2 months later when it was close to starting my internship, the internship position suddenly disappeared. POOF! No job.

Interview Questions

Duolingo Response

May 4, 2017 – Recruiter

On behalf of Duolingo, we would like to respond to this review that we believe is incorrect. It is a company priority to provide a great interview process and experience for any candidate. However... More

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Pittsburgh, PA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Duolingo (Pittsburgh, PA).

Interview

Applied online, got an e-mail from a recruiter the following day. Quick phone screen with the recruiter, then a take-home coding challenge that was relevant to the particular role I applied for. After that, had a coding interview over Skype with an engineer. Fairly standard interview. The engineer doesn't care much if you come up with the best solution right away, just ask for hints and explain your thought process.

After that, got invited for an interview on-site which consisted of two whiteboard coding problems and a pair programming session.

Overall, the process was super smooth and everyone was really friendly and easy-going. Seems like a great company!

Interview Questions

• The white board coding problems required knowledge of data structures, recursion, and dynamic programming. That being said, they would probably qualify as "medium" level difficulty problems - nothing too crazy. The pair programming session involved editing an API endpoint in their code to do some simple data manipulation before returning it to the frontend.   Answer Question