EBMUD Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Apr 19, 2017

2.9

Assistant Engineer (Electrical) (SCADA) Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Oakland, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ months. I interviewed at EBMUD (Oakland, CA) in March 2017.

Interview

I applied for the position on November 21, 2016.

My first and only interview was on March 2, 2017.

The first interview test was writing a memo on an IBM PC with Microsoft Word. I was given an outline of a conversation that a coworker had with a vendor who was discontinuing a product line in 3 months. I am given 45 minutes to write a memo to my boss. This is a very reasonable test of comprehension and writing skills.

It got strange with the interviewer told me that I needed to find the Microsoft Word program. (All of the icons had been deleted from the normal menus) It was a test to see if you could use MS Windows. Not a problem, search for Word and open the program.

The interviewer leaves me alone to write the memo. I complete the memo in about 10 minutes and save it to the desktop.

The interviewer walks in and I turn the laptop to show him that I have completed the memo. He closes the laptop without looking at it. He asked if I saved the file to the desktop. I confirm that I had.

It is at this point that I realized that the laptop has remote monitoring (spy) software on it and that the interviewer was monitoring my use of the laptop.

I am aware that remote monitoring software is standard on most corporate laptops. I was not expecting to be monitored without being informed of it beforehand.

On April 21, 2017 I received an email with the following text: "This is to inform you that the list for Assistant Electrical Engineer (SCADA) on which you are ranked will expire due to an insufficient number of ranks. The recruitment will re-open on Monday, April 24, 2017. You must re-apply for the new recruitment to be considered further. "

I called EBMUD and asked what an "insufficient number of ranks" means. I was told that not enough people applied for the job.

I see no point in reapplying for this job.

Interview Questions

• This is an electrical engineering question. Someone connects the neutral and ground wires on a 120VAC power plug. What will happen?   1 Answer

Senior Programmer Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in Oakland, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at EBMUD (Oakland, CA) in July 2015.

Interview

To provide the most level interview experience you are given 10 questions and 15 minutes to review them, make notes, and prepare for your panel interview. The questions were in my case very general and related to project management, challenging situations and team efforts.

Interview Questions

• Describe a situation where you successfully overcame a significant challenge.   1 Answer

Investemnt Interview

Application

Interview

I applied online and after waiting for 3 weeks, I received email that I have been selected for a second interview to be conducted by a panel. On the day of the interview but before the start , I was asked to complete a written test and after the test, was the led to be interviewed by three people interviewing panel. The people were nice but the questions asked were serious. After this interview, I was invited back for a third interview meeting with the head of the department and a principal analyst. This interview lasted about an hour and the questions were much tougher. In all the people were very nice.

Interview Questions

• why do you want to work here   1 Answer

Administrative Clerk Interview

Anonymous Employee in Oakland, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at EBMUD (Oakland, CA) in August 2014.

Interview

Submit application online, get chosen to take an exam, then selected for electronic exam to test excel and word abilities. If you pass, selected for a panel interview then if you advance further, the department individually contacts you for an interview.

Interview Questions

• Typical strengths, weaknesses, how to meet deadlines, name a time where you were unable to meet deadlines, what happens when other people hold up your projects, etc.   Answer Question

Human Resources Interview

Anonymous Employee in Oakland, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at EBMUD (Oakland, CA) in August 2014.

Interview

first was a phone interview with two employees on the line asking me questions, second was a 3 panel interview but general interview questions...the interview took about 45 min to maybe a hour. the staff was really nice and engaging

Interview Questions

• they asked about my skills related to the position, what type of employee I am, how do I work under pressure so on and so on....Im not sure off all the questions they asked be because it has been a very long time since I had the interview   1 Answer

Electrical Engineer Internship Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at EBMUD.

Interview

I was called in for an interview here and met with the water department. I interviewed for a summer internship with this department. The interviewing process went very well and the interviewer was very polite and made me relaxed. He asked 5 questions, all very simple to answer so long as you answer truthfully. The questions were along the lines of what are you interested in, what do you look to get out of this job, and some other situational questions. A very easy interview and a great company.

Interview Questions

• Most difficult question wasn't really a difficult question. They were looking for someone who had experience programming in Matlab and I do not like to program in Matlab.   Answer Question

Application

I applied online. The process took 6+ months. I interviewed at EBMUD in June 2013.

Interview

I applied online. I had an in-person interview with the direct supervisor. Unlike the last interview with the engineering manager, the manager asked very few (two or three) questions. Usually their in-person interviews are composed of three people in a room and a tape recorder. Later, there would be another in-person interview. In my last recent application, these two interviews didn't happen. This was unusual to me for an engineering interview. The manager asked if I would take a severe pay cut for the position. It would be at the lowest salary level they published for the job.

Interview Questions

• The only unexpected questions were that there were so few of them. They also asked whether I would take a pay cut at the bottom-most salary level.   Answer Question

Geotechnical Engineering Aide Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Oakland, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at EBMUD (Oakland, CA) in January 2012.

Interview

Submitted online application.
    Received Call confirming I had an interview.
    Drove to Oakland, CA for interview with two engineers in the office.
    Interviewers were really nice and cool people to talk to.
    Received email notification one month later.

The building is really nice!

Interview Questions

• Describe what you know about EBMUD   1 Answer

I was not offered the position, but offered a different one... it was interesting.

Computer Lab Interview

Application

The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at EBMUD in August 2008.

Interview

You must always do exactly as the application instructions ask. If you miss one thing or forget the supplement questions or did them but forgot to submit them, they will NOT be accepted after the close time and date. It is very important for you to follow directions when applying. There could be an aptitude test if the position requires it. Be prepared for the interview. They ask the same general questions that all interviewer ask. If you don't know what those are, go to youtube and look up interviews. To be hired is a big process but worth it. Once your in, your in for life.

Interview Questions

• There isn't anything really difficult or unexpected. The questions are pretty normal. If I had to say one thing, be prepared to give an expample(s) of how you demonstrated what you are saying you did. For example if you say you create spreadsheets in your current position, talk about a specific spreadsheet and how it's helpful in what you currently do.   Answer Question