Economist Intelligence Unit Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Interviews at Economist Intelligence Unit

2.9

Business Development Director Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Economist Intelligence Unit (New York, NY) in January 2013.

Interview

I interviewed with the hiring manager and one co-worker about their experiences in their positions; I prepared powerpoint presentation on subject of my choosing related to emerging markets economics.
    I had previously contacted an alum from my college who works for the firm who helped me position myself for what would be required in the role.

Interview Questions

• Business plan for growing sales in territory   1 Answer

Negotiation

Not a lot of room to negotiate better base

Business Development Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Economist Intelligence Unit (New York, NY) in February 2018.

Interview

The interview process was long and arduous. I interviewed for two months and was blown away at the level of how unorganzized hiring managers and HR seemed to work. I advanced 6 times, which means I did well, but after months of interviewing I was rejected and would expect more than a generic copy/paste letter. Also, there were three reschedules after I had already left work early or taken time off. for such a highly regarded company (or so I thought) there needs to be more organization and more consideration for candidates.

Interview Questions

• What is it you know about the EIU? Overall relatable experience? What would you do...hypothetical questions from clients? Proposal writing experience?   Answer Question

Business Development Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Economist Intelligence Unit (Washington, DC) in February 2018.

Interview

RUN AWAY from this organization. The interview process took 3 months. 1 interview with HR, 2nd video interview with the "Global Commercial Director", 3rd in-person interview with the Global Commercial Director, 4th interview with the Editorial Director and Director of Country and Economic Research, North America, EIU; 5th interview/presentation.

Don't waste your time to apply. They are not hiring rather gathering free ideas from the applicants who reached the final round - presentation. Obviously they cannot generate ideas internally in terms of how to expand their business in North America. Very callous the way they declined my application after the 5th round: "Unfortunately, we decided to go in a different direction."

Interview Questions

• What would be your sales strategy to penetrate the State Dept.? What tactics would you deploy (groups to target, EIU assets to leverage, content to present, etc.) and track to best ensure success?   1 Answer

Specialist Retails Sales Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a week. I interviewed at Economist Intelligence Unit (New York, NY) in June 2013.

Interview

Though the interview process was a task that had to be completed as soon as I was contacted by email--waiting one day or even one hour--would have prevented me from the opportunity--the interviews were conducted by professionals who were encouraging, intelligent, and rehearsed. Because the interview process took place via telephone and email the efficient manner in which they were handled gave me a very good impression and made accepting the offer a smart move on my part.

Interview Questions

• My strengths as a salesperson v my strengths as a regular person?   1 Answer

Negotiation

Negotiation was minimal because the initial offer was intelligent.

Head of Client Engagement Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Economist Intelligence Unit (New York, NY) in December 2018.

Interview

Do NOT consider this role - resist the temptation! EIU has no skin in the game during the interview process of your candidacy - you will spend a LOT of your time and dime to develop and present two cases while shelling out all of your travel expenses with no reimbursement.

And that is just for starters...

I was solicited by a recruiter and honesty enticed since I heard it was part of the Economist Group - I admire and respect the publication and a reader for years.

This is a newly created position within their healthcare sector reporting to two career company managers who never worked a day in their lives in either a BD or sales role. They are dismissive know-it-alls who on one hand yet passively- aggressively pick your brain for recommendations for their own benefit.

As I told the recruiter after the interview, I would decline any offer. The two hiring managers has NO interpersonal, communication or managerial skills and would not work for them for any money in the world. Not the kind of people who you want to break bread with at any costs.

As a seasoned and proven executive who has a consistent track record of distinguishing myself by exceeding expectations for over 30 years, I have NEVER been subjected to such unprofessionalism! Good riddance.

I must say the the other interviewers (C-level and auxiliary) were rational, engaging people who understood the sales, BD and marketing process to be successful in this role.

A pity really given the reputation of the firm.

Interview Questions

• Case studies - even when I sent these to the hiring manager and recruiter beforehand to make sure we are on the same page, s/he (Hiring managers) gave thumbs-up only to reject content at the interview. They don't even know the meaning of the word PROPOSAL -FYI   1 Answer

Internship Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Economist Intelligence Unit.

Interview

Initial phone call then an in-person interview. I thought it went fine but it's very competitive so I knew going into it that the odds were not great. Understandable and fair.

They said I'd hear back within one week either way. Never heard *anything.* I don't know why they tell people they'll hear back when they clearly have no intention of getting back to people (as other reviewers have said). I'm young but even I know this is unprofessional.

Interview Questions

• Describe some research projects you've done, talk about data skills, temperament questions, etc.   Answer Question

Editor Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Economist Intelligence Unit (New York, NY) in January 2015.

Interview

Fair, easy - I interviewed with 2 different managers and they asked pointed questions that were easy enough to answer based on my background. I had also done freelance work for the company so that helped too.

Summer Inter - Public Policy Consulting Team Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Economist Intelligence Unit (New York, NY) in March 2019.

Interview

I had a phone interview followed by an in-person interview where I was asked the same few questions. None of the interviewers seemed to be able to properly explain to me what the interns did at the company.

Interview Questions

• I was mainly asked to describe current research projects I had worked on.   Answer Question

Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at Economist Intelligence Unit (London, England (UK)).

Interview

Written test--timed-- to check the quality of written analysis and quantitative and qualitative research skills and then interviews with team, department manager and then company MD & HR briefly to cover my goals, understanding of the firm and other broader issues

Interview Questions

• Assessments related to the knowledge base required for the position relating to economics, politics and global trends.   1 Answer

Analyst Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Economist Intelligence Unit in May 2016.

Interview

1. written test - writing a short essay summarising information from articles, excel calculation and charting
    2. face-to-face interview - standard questions about past experience, skill set, explained your understanding of the role/the firm/their business, current affairs about economics and politics

Interview Questions

• hypothetical question, what would happen if certain event takes place, looking for logical/analytical sklils   Answer Question