Electro Scientific Industries Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Electro Scientific Industries Interview Questions

3.3

Interviews for Top Jobs at Electro Scientific Industries

Applications Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Electro Scientific Industries in May 2010.

Interview

I got an interview right after I graduated with my BS in Mechanical Engineering. They had two candidates on my day, and we both arrived at 8 am to give presentations. It was pretty akward knowing the person next to you is competing for the same job, but I'm assuming they do this on purpose. After the presentations, I had 3-4 face to face interviews, then lunch with the team. Followed by more interviews, and a couple telecom interviews.

I think I did pretty well overall, but hadn't slept much the night before and they basically asked a lot of engineering and brain teaser questions.

I didn't get an offer, and I also herd from the HR lady that they ended up not hiring anybody for the position.

Interview Questions

• - If a string was tied around the Earth, and you added 1 foot to the string, how much higher off the surface of the Earth would the string be?

- If I wanted to start a window washing business in Portland, how would I estimate how many windows there are in the Portland Metro area?

- How many golf balls can fit in a full size school bus?
      2 Answers

Marketing Communications Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in West Portland, OR

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Electro Scientific Industries (West Portland, OR) in March 2010.

Interview

Standard engagement practices -- mostly email, some phone contact and follow-up. Interviews were all face-to-face, but their scheduling of a couple of them ended up a bit disorganized. Managers seemed enthusiastic but there was an undercurrent of concern regarding company performance, and future projections. One individual appeared threatened by my work experience and the project sample I had to provide at his request. The notification call that I wasn't their first choice was awkward -- they couldn't qualify their decision, said it had been like "splitting hairs" between me and the chosen candidate.

Interview Questions

• When I met with the IT manager, she was explaining their new web site software. I asked her why she was overseeing a new web site implementation, instead of it being with marketing, or as a collaborative effort to ensure it was on-brand, on-message, etc. She then asked me, "why would I have marketing be in charge of anything technical?"   1 Answer

Field Service Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Electro Scientific Industries (Austin, TX) in July 2008.

Interview

Interview was with the guy to be replaced as he was to move to regional manager and his U.S. service manager. The interview was normal until the guy pulled out a multipage schematic (more of a block diagram of an ESI system) and asked me to describe my approach to troubleshooting a potential problem with a user interface monitor. The problem for me was the font type was tiny and I needed a magnifying glass to read. At first I thought there was insufficient information and they wanted to see how I reacted to an impossible task but after several minutes I finally was barely able to read the monitor label. At that point the interview was over in their minds and I just wanted to get out of there. As it ended up it was providential as they told me a week later I was no longer a candidate but because of the company's newly discovered financial condition they would not be hiring anybody for a few more months. Obviously, job security as a relatively new employee would be an issue because the "replaced guy" would always be able to move back to the FSE position from regional manager as the company's financial climate changed. Another test that I seemed to answer well was pictures of wafer features and asking for diagnosis based on the visible feature distortion in the pictures. Everything else in the interview process was normal.

Interview Questions

• How would you troubleshoot an unresponsive user interface monitor using a multipage schematic?   2 Answers

Applications Engineer Interview

Interview

initially phone interviewed with HM and a senior group member, all technical questions. Contacted by HR for on-site a few days later. The on-side interview start with my presentation, and then one-on-one talk with 5 group members, both technical and behavior questions.

Interview Questions

• what is the biggest failure in your career and how do you go through it finally.   Answer Question