Ellucian Interview Questions | Glassdoor

2.6

1. Featured Interview

Senior Consultant Interview

Anonymous Employee in Remote, OR

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Ellucian (Remote, OR) in June 2019.

Interview

Easily, the most wonderful and quick interview process ever. Applied, one day later interviewed by recruiter and set up with manager interview the next day. Manager interview was remote, asked 30min of behavioral questions. Two days later received invite for final interview which was schedule for the following week. Final interview was 4 team members and manager, 10min presentation on anything I wanted, 40 min of behavioral questions and 10 min of my questions. Everyone was incredibly helpful and relaxed during the entire process.

Intern Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Ellucian in March 2020.

Interview

I applied online and had a brief introductory call (~10 min) and then arranged a Zoom interview with two experienced employees working at Ellucian. Call was friendly and somewhat casual as they asked about my experience, projects, and skills along with basic interview questions. Heard back shortly after.

Network Administrator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chestertown, MD

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Ellucian (Chestertown, MD) in January 2020.

Interview

About a 30 minute telephone screening by a recruiter followed by a one hour video chat interview with the person at the location I would be working along with and a field supervisor.

Interview Questions

• A lot of technology minutiae asking questions about port numbers and protocol definitions.   1 Answer

Instructional Designer Interview

Interview

After three years, my interview experience with Ellucian still leaves me feeling hurt and confused. A recruiter reached out to me about a position I applied to and set up a phone interview. At the agreed upon time and day, I was waiting by the phone. She never called. When I emailed her to ask about rescheduling, she said some of the group was going on vacation and she’d get back to me after everyone got back. When I followed up a week later she said the position had been filled. Very disrespectful and unprofessional. Even three years later, I’m still annoyed.

Sales Development Representative Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Ellucian (New York, NY) in July 2019.

Interview

One phone interview and an in person interview. I got the manager to show me around the building afterwards, I figured that was a good sign but I didn't get the position. It took a few weeks for them to let me know through email.

A Senior Technology Role Interview

Interview

I had a recruiter phone screening with Ellucian that was among the strangest I've ever had in my 20+ years in the industry. The recruiter asked me a broad question about my technical problem-solving approach. I gave a detailed answer, but the recruiter kept coming back to the question, and appeared confused if not frustrated by what I was saying. The recruiter appeared to have a list of "buzz phrases" or topics -- I believe provided by the hiring manager -- that I was expected to touch on in my answer, and provided a couple of these to me as examples. One of these was "operational excellence" (?), which unfortunately didn't make a lot of sense, whether generally or in the context of the question. After going back-and-forth and patiently trying to provide an answer that was satisfactory, asking if perhaps the question could be rephrased, etc, my impression was that the recruiter was asking a broad, qualitative question, but given its technical nature didn't really understand the question, or my answers, or the "expected" answers. Subsequent to this the recruiter insisted that I provide a target salary before I could move forward as a candidate. I explained that I was broadly looking for market-rate compensation for the position, was sure we could come to a consensus on salary, but felt that it was too soon for me to quote a number. I was then asked to provide my current salary plus a raise. I politely declined and the recruiter ended the interview, informing me that I could get in touch if I wished to continue. If there ever was an example of how "hiring is broken" in tech this experience would surely qualify.

Sales Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Remote, OR

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Ellucian (Remote, OR).

Interview

Applied for a position on March 1, 2019. NEVER heard back (as of May 21, 2019). Why send acknowledgement emails saying you work hard to be responsive to candidates ---- and then never get back to them?

Interview Questions

• Who knows, they ghosted me after my application.   2 Answers

Software Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in Louisville, KY

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Ellucian (Louisville, KY) in May 2019.

Interview

I have 2 parts. First was with the hiring manager who explained the position and its role, why the position was open (someone retired), and the management. The second interview was with a team member who asked questions.

Interview Questions

• Asked what modules I have familiar with   1 Answer

Intern Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Ellucian.

Interview

Met with team manager and developer over video call. Asked questions about my experience and the company. Asked technical questions about OOP and languages that I know. Had a quick call with recruiter about my experience for the role as well.

Manager, Competitive Intelligence and Research Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Ellucian (New York, NY) in October 2018.

Interview

This was a long and unnecessarily complex process with negative experience and outcome. After being referred to the organization as an "outside of the box" candidate - the hiring manager agreed to start the interview process. I had an interview with an HR person - for cultural fit then an initial interview with the hiring manager. At this point, there was no communications for 3 weeks. I sent two follow up notes to the hiring manager. After the second - which was at the 2.5 week point, I received contact. At which point, my HR contact at Ellucian had told me that I was scheduled for 3 consecutive interviews. The two previous interviews were phone calls. These three scheduled interviews were via Zoom/Video Conference. The first interview with the a Director in the department went well. She was open minded and able to see how my skills and experience would make a difference. The second interview was with another Director was significantly tougher. His review of my resume and his questioning made it very clear to me that he wanted someone with experience in the position and in this particular field despite my skills and experiences. It appeared his mind was made up before the interview. The third interview cancelled 45 minutes prior to the start. Last minute cancellations happened not once, but twice. Once the day of the interview and the second cancellation occurred a week later. That seemed unusual to me. There was no follow up or direct communication afterwards.

This is where it got bad. After following up with each interviewer - which happened to be the members of the hiring managers team - the goal was to have me interview with each team member of the hiring managers team, then the corresponding leader of a parallel team, one member of that parallel team, then a final interview with the hiring manager. I was scheduled for 8 interviews for a "Manager" level position that was not actually responsible for managing anyone and was a mid-level employee. It should not take 8 interviews for a mid-level employee. It makes me wonder if the hiring manager has an idea of how to hire someone quickly for a position that had been (and still is vacant as of this review) vacant for over 8 months. The hiring manager claimed that she needed and needs immediate help but this persons actions show otherwise.

After the interview with the second Director, the process had gone dead. My candidacy was dead. Unbeknownst to myself until 5.5 weeks later. After multiple contact attempts with no response to both HR and directly to the hiring manager, I let my referral know that I had NOT received any response at all from Ellucian after 4 interviews and several weeks passing. Within 15 minutes, I was informed by the hiring manager directly via phone that I was out of consideration as a candidate because I did not have the experience required for the position - despite being told that they were open to a candidate with the requisite skill sets but not necessarily the experience requirements. The decision maker (DM) let me know that they changed their mind on this after my interviews with the team. The DM had let me know that she thought the HR department would be handling my dismissal from the process, but the HR department let me know that they were unaware of the DMs decision. The left foot didn't know what the right foot was doing, apparently.

The DM completely blamed my HR contact, threw them under the bus and did not take any responsibility for the lack of communication from Ellucian. This person took ZERO responsibility for the lack of communication. My dismissal as a candidate was confirmed via voicemail and the live call which took place roughly an hour later, prompted by my referral letting me know that they had contacted the DM and HR about not being contacted for 5.5 weeks. The DM was clumsy and embarrassed on the call. She fumbled through her explanation and it was clear that she was caught off guard in this situation.

The lack of ownership by anyone at Ellucian in the interview process is unacceptable and unprofessional. Approach with caution.

Interview Questions

• What experience do you have in written research?   Answer Question
    • What makes you right for this role?   Answer Question
    • You don't have any experience in this field despite having some skills. Why should we consider you for this position?   Answer Question
    • How are you with deadlines?   Answer Question
    • How do you deal with multiple and competing internal needs?   Answer Question