Elon University Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Elon University Interview Questions

2.5

Instructor Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Elon University.

Interview

I applied through LinkedIn, then got a message about a phone interview. I then had an interview with three professors in the same department. Last I had to do a teaching demonstration.

Interview Questions

• What is your teaching philosophy? What textbook are you planning on using?   Answer Question

Assistant Director of Admissions Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 6 days. I interviewed at Elon University.

Interview

Phone call to set up interview with group.

Interview went smoothly, some probing questions, made comments they were moving quickly.

Got a call a few days later informing me I was not moving forward. Disappointed due to my experience in this level in admissions. Oh well.

Assistant Professor Interview

Anonymous Employee in Elon, NC

Application

I applied online. The process took 6+ months. I interviewed at Elon University (Elon, NC).

Interview

Good--1 long day. Teaching and research presentation. Coffee with students. Meeting with the dean came last. Car rental, dinner, lunch provided. Reimbursement was fast. Met with faculty and associate provost. The campus is beautiful, but can be tough to navigate. Be sure to leave early to find the buildings.

Interview Questions

• They asked about my philosophy of teaching, books I'd use. There was a lot of comfortable conversation. No one was adversarial. Just trying to get a feel for fit with culture.   Answer Question

Negotiation

Negotiations were straightforward. Be sure to get everything in writing though. There were points of confusion and then reneging. There was some frustration, but I it was fair at the end of the process. Know your worth!

Admissions Counselor Interview

Anonymous Employee in Elon, NC

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Elon University (Elon, NC) in May 2014.

Interview

Began with phone interview round, followed by an in-person presentation and question round. Presentation was in front of about 20 people. Knowing people in the office is valuable to make it to the phone round. Phone round focuses on content of answers, whereas presentation focuses on interpersonal skills. After group presentation, expect to sit down with several deans, apart from the larger group.

Interview Questions

• Why are you interested in being an admissions counselor? How would you recruit a diverse student to Elon? Where do you plan to be in 5 years?   Answer Question

Career Advising Fellow Interview

Anonymous Employee in Elon, NC

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Elon University (Elon, NC) in March 2014.

Interview

Apply via HR website (also found posting on higheredjobs.com); first round: Skype; second round: on-campus. Found out about offer, just a few days after second round interview. Met with current career advising fellows, director of career services, hall director (for programming collaboration), career advisor. Enjoyed group and individual conversations, and gave a presentation (was provided prompts) to career services staff.

Interview Questions

• How would you handle the situation where you send an email two times to a professional group on campus and haven't received a response back?   Answer Question

Student Worker Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Elon University.

Interview

Go to the student employment website and check for openings, specifically before the school year starts. Once the semester has already started, many jobs will already be occupied. The exception is Campus Rec, which holds a job fair shortly after school starts. If their is a opening, you can either submit an application online, or you would have to pick up a copy at the job site. You will normally have at least one interview, you will at least two or three if you apply for Campus Rec.

Interview Questions

• Where do you see yourself in five years? It is not a hard question now since I am out of school. But very difficult when I was a freshman.   Answer Question

Negotiation

No negotiation, everyone is paid the same.

Instructional Technology/AV Coordinator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Greensboro, NC

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Elon University (Greensboro, NC).

Interview

This position was within Elon Law School. From the date that the position stopped accepting applications to the date they gave me my final disposition took 3 months. It took a month to receive an invitation for an initial Skype interview. The interview was with their "hiring committee" and consisted of the standard interview questions. After the Skype interview was completed I was asked to come for a face-to-face interview the following week. This interview took 4 hours and included talking with faculty, staff and students. I was also asked to prepare and give a 30 minute presentation on some type of educational technology (very little instructions were provided for this part).

Everyone seemed very professional and experienced. The staff and faculty were friendly and seemed vested in the person who was going to be taking this position. I was given the opportunity, at the end of the interview, to ask questions about the job and details. The benefits seemed competitive with other similar institutions but answers to question of pay were confusing. When asked about the pay compensation, the reply was "Well, we pay lower than most other higher education institutions. You are hourly, so it will be low 20s." It was not specified if this was low $20k/year or low $20/hour... I tend to think low $20k/year, somewhere in the range of $12/hour.

After the face-to-face interview my references were all contacted within 3 weeks. After my last reference was contacted, I emailed the position contact (that I had been in contact with since the first interview) and reiterated my interest in the job and inquired whether they had an updated time table for the rest of the interview process. I received no reply after two weeks. So I emailed the contact again, thanking them for being a possible candidate for their position and letting them know that anything additional they need from me I would provide. Another week and a half went by without a reply from the interview contact. I finally got an HR automated email saying that I was no longer being considered for the position.

Overall the process seemed entirely too drawn out for the position and requirements. The staff and faculty were very professional when I met them face-to-face but I would have liked to get a reply to the multiple emails that I sent to the job contact (almost a month with no replies). I feel that the lack of reply displayed a fair amount of unprofessionalism for a person tasked with hiring and welcoming applicants and new hires into a position.

Interview Questions

• How would you interact with faculty members in order for them to understand that integrating technology into their lessons could be beneficial?   1 Answer

Technology Interview

Interview

Needlessly long and complicated given the fact that Elon hires based on degree and the ability to manipulate.

Office Assistant Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Elon University in August 2012.

Interview

Very laid back; asked more questions about personal life than work skills. They understood that I was only beginning my college career and that I would not know much. Helped me to learn more about Elon and get acquainted to the school because the office exposed me to more aspects of Elon than a normal freshman would be exposed to.

Assistant/Associate Professor Interview

Anonymous Employee in Elon, NC

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Elon University (Elon, NC) in June 2012.

Interview

Thorough
    Multiple steps: phone interview, and on campus visit for two day interview.
    Multiple interviewers - faculty, staff, administration and students. Also received an extensive tour of facilities and surrounding area

Interview Questions

Negotiation

Was offered the job and a salary. Went back and forth several times to negotiate salary, benefits and moving support. Almost got hung up in some benefit requests and found out after I was hired that I was perceived as overly aggressive in the process and the committee was split with a couple members thinking I was too aggressive. I was hired, so, I suppose I didn't offend the majority of the committee