English Heritage Interview Questions | Glassdoor

English Heritage Interview Questions

Updated May 26, 2017

Retail Supervisor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Battle, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at English Heritage (Battle, England (UK)) in April 2017.

Interview

I applied a month before the closing date but didn't hear that had an interview until 2 weeks after the advert had closed, I was then given 2 days notice and no option as to when my interview was apart from the time.
    The interview itself was fine.
    I then was emailed 2 weeks later to be offered a second interview a month later, I had been offered a position with a different company by this point and let them know.
    I was then emailed again 2 weeks after being offered a second interview and turning them down , that they would not be taking my application further!
    Frankly I don't see how anyone could wait 3 months from first applying to offer which was a shame as I would liked to have worked for them despite the low age.

Interview Questions

• How would I prepare for big events for over 12,000 people?   1 Answer

Ecommerce Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Swindon, Wiltshire, South West England, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at English Heritage (Swindon, Wiltshire, South West England, England (UK)) in September 2016.

Interview

After writing the application I was contacted a week or so later to attend a face to face interview. The interview was with two people and I was asked to answer competency based questions, I was then giving a copy writing task. First impression was okay so I was happy to attend a second interview to which i was invited a few days later. I was asked to complete another test before attending the second interview. Second interview was with the hiring manager and her boss. He made a sexist comment towards me which was unwelcome and inappropriate. I was offered the job but rejected it as the salary was low, long commute and a sexist boss is not acceptable.

Historic Property Steward Interview

Anonymous Employee in Belsay, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at English Heritage (Belsay, England (UK)) in February 2016.

Interview

Advertised position on their website. Lengthy application with questions requiring somewhat of essay length responses.
    Received a phone call inviting me to the interview.
    Interview session began with a group of applicants sitting around a large table. I'm sure we were being observed while we engaged with each other. They split the group into two. We played a game where we had to imagine we were in Canada in the winter and needed to survive but had to choose from a list of suggested objects those that would help us in our survival and why. The panel watched how we interacted with each other. After that we pulled out of a bag a stationery object. We then had minutes to come up with a sales pitch to sell it the object to the individual who woul be interviewing us.
    The one-on-one segment of the interview began with the sales pitch and then a more traditional interview process began. Best read through all of English Heritage's documentation on 'access', mission statement, projected goals etc. Always important to have some very well thought out questions prepared.

Interview Questions

• It was regarding how to respond to a question on accessibility within a site for a disabled person.   1 Answer

Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at English Heritage (London, England (UK)) in January 2016.

Interview

Very old fashioned. Not welcoming. Not interested in their core business. Felt like the civil service of the 1950s. Obsessed with process. Competency based questions. Impatient with any questions received.

Historic Property Steward Interview

Anonymous Employee in Shrewsbury, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at English Heritage (Shrewsbury, England (UK)) in February 2015.

Interview

Invited to group interview. Lasted 2 & 1/2 hrs. Covered health & safety on site, 1;1 interview, time to study/prep for: a) selling to customers b) dealing with customer complaints, putting together a shop display

Interview Questions

• Give an example of when you 'went the extra mile' for a customer..   Answer Question

Historic Property Steward Interview

Anonymous Employee in Newcastle upon Tyne, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at English Heritage (Newcastle upon Tyne, England (UK)) in February 2014.

Interview

Very amateurish.... Inexperienced interviews. Had role play, group exercise and interview. Didn't feel any of it was particularly polished. Asked some competency based questions but didn't drill down to get the detail.

Historic Properties Steward (Part-time) Interview

Anonymous Employee in Chollerton, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at English Heritage (Chollerton, England (UK)) in June 2013.

Interview

After completing an online application form, I attended an interview on site, where I was interviewed by the site manager and area manager. The interview took about 25 minutes. Questions were based on my experience in working with children and my availability for the role.

Interview Questions

• As the job involved working with children, I had to show how I would react to a child who was feeling left out of an activity. I had to act and pretend that the child was there in front of the interviews.   Answer Question

Historic Properties Team Member Interview

Anonymous Employee in Bedford, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at English Heritage (Bedford, England (UK)) in March 2011.

Interview

I applied for the position online, was subsequently asked via email to attend an interview, I attended the interview, but didn't hear anything for weeks on end and assumed I had not been successful, however, I was then contacted to be told that there had been a 'HR error' and immediately received an offer, I accepted the offer.

Interview Questions

• Describe a situation where you have acted under pressure   Answer Question

Retail Buyer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Swindon, Gloucestershire, South West England, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at English Heritage (Swindon, Gloucestershire, South West England, England (UK)) in February 2011.

Interview

Two interviews - firstly with direct line manager and then Second interview with Category Director - not really taxing

Interview Questions

Negotiation

Lack of flexibility to negotiate - as there are very strict pay bands

Archive Support Officer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Swindon, Wiltshire, South West England, England (UK)

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at English Heritage (Swindon, Wiltshire, South West England, England (UK)) in November 2010.

Interview

The position was advertised in the local paper but the job description was generic and much more complicated than was actually needed to do the job. Vacancies are also advertised on the company website and you can register for job alerts. The application form on line is really good as after you have filled it in for one position you can use it again if applying for another job as your details are remembered. Interviews may be by a panel of line managers concerned with your particular role. It is good to do some research prior to interview and it may be possible to go on a tour to find out more about the place where you will be working. Water is provided at interviews and staff take it in turns to ask questions. You may need to sit a test for some roles. People are selected for interview according to their skills experience and appropriate attributes for the role. A reserve will also be selected in case someone does not turn up.

Interview Questions

• What is your previous knowledge and experience of English Heritage.   1 Answer

Negotiation

Start date