English Heritage Interview Questions | Glassdoor

English Heritage Interview Questions

Updated Jan 9, 2018

3.2

Administrator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Newport, South East England, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at English Heritage (Newport, South East England, England (UK)) in June 2017.

Interview

Two tests. One was a prioritisation of tasks and the other was to do a response letter to a customer complaint. Followed by interview with two managers. Both people were clearly tired of interviewing by the time they saw me. I got no feedback on the tasks that I carried out. Their interviewing technique was very inflexible. There was no opportunity to showcase my ability to to do the job. I had a portfolio which they declined to look at. Every question was about dealing with stress. This would have been a relatively stress free post and so I feel that the questions posed were a little inappropriate. The role involved was clearly customer service based. This is an area in which I am fully competent but they did not allow for any diversification from the questions that they had on a sheet of paper. I feel that the two people doing the interviews were not experienced in getting the best out of their interviewees.

Interview Questions

• Pretty much every single question was 'how would you cope in this stressful situation?' 'Give me an example of when you encountered this kind of scenario'. Very rigid process, no interest in personal skills or personality.   Answer Question

Retail Supervisor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Battle, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at English Heritage (Battle, England (UK)) in April 2017.

Interview

I applied a month before the closing date but didn't hear that had an interview until 2 weeks after the advert had closed, I was then given 2 days notice and no option as to when my interview was apart from the time.
    The interview itself was fine.
    I then was emailed 2 weeks later to be offered a second interview a month later, I had been offered a position with a different company by this point and let them know.
    I was then emailed again 2 weeks after being offered a second interview and turning them down , that they would not be taking my application further!
    Frankly I don't see how anyone could wait 3 months from first applying to offer which was a shame as I would liked to have worked for them despite the low age.

Interview Questions

• How would I prepare for big events for over 12,000 people?   1 Answer

Ecommerce Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Swindon, Wiltshire, South West England, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at English Heritage (Swindon, Wiltshire, South West England, England (UK)) in September 2016.

Interview

After writing the application I was contacted a week or so later to attend a face to face interview. The interview was with two people and I was asked to answer competency based questions, I was then giving a copy writing task. First impression was okay so I was happy to attend a second interview to which i was invited a few days later. I was asked to complete another test before attending the second interview. Second interview was with the hiring manager and her boss. He made a sexist comment towards me which was unwelcome and inappropriate. I was offered the job but rejected it as the salary was low, long commute and a sexist boss is not acceptable.

Historic Property Steward Interview

Anonymous Employee in Belsay, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at English Heritage (Belsay, England (UK)) in February 2016.

Interview

Advertised position on their website. Lengthy application with questions requiring somewhat of essay length responses.
    Received a phone call inviting me to the interview.
    Interview session began with a group of applicants sitting around a large table. I'm sure we were being observed while we engaged with each other. They split the group into two. We played a game where we had to imagine we were in Canada in the winter and needed to survive but had to choose from a list of suggested objects those that would help us in our survival and why. The panel watched how we interacted with each other. After that we pulled out of a bag a stationery object. We then had minutes to come up with a sales pitch to sell it the object to the individual who woul be interviewing us.
    The one-on-one segment of the interview began with the sales pitch and then a more traditional interview process began. Best read through all of English Heritage's documentation on 'access', mission statement, projected goals etc. Always important to have some very well thought out questions prepared.

Interview Questions

• It was regarding how to respond to a question on accessibility within a site for a disabled person.   1 Answer

Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at English Heritage (London, England (UK)) in January 2016.

Interview

Very old fashioned. Not welcoming. Not interested in their core business. Felt like the civil service of the 1950s. Obsessed with process. Competency based questions. Impatient with any questions received.

Historic Property Steward Interview

Anonymous Employee in Shrewsbury, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at English Heritage (Shrewsbury, England (UK)) in February 2015.

Interview

Invited to group interview. Lasted 2 & 1/2 hrs. Covered health & safety on site, 1;1 interview, time to study/prep for: a) selling to customers b) dealing with customer complaints, putting together a shop display

Interview Questions

• Give an example of when you 'went the extra mile' for a customer..   Answer Question

Historic Properties Steward (Part-time) Interview

Anonymous Employee in Chollerton, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at English Heritage (Chollerton, England (UK)) in June 2013.

Interview

After completing an online application form, I attended an interview on site, where I was interviewed by the site manager and area manager. The interview took about 25 minutes. Questions were based on my experience in working with children and my availability for the role.

Interview Questions

• As the job involved working with children, I had to show how I would react to a child who was feeling left out of an activity. I had to act and pretend that the child was there in front of the interviews.   Answer Question

Historian Interview

Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 8 weeks. I interviewed at English Heritage (London, England (UK)) in June 2013.

Interview

Great questions relating to the future position, picture test, good opportunity for discussion and to show your personality and ability to think on your feet; responsive and engaged interviewing panel, good an fair grading system

Interview Questions

• To anayse architectural drawings   1 Answer

Historic Properties Team Member Interview

Anonymous Employee in Bedford, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at English Heritage (Bedford, England (UK)) in March 2011.

Interview

I applied for the position online, was subsequently asked via email to attend an interview, I attended the interview, but didn't hear anything for weeks on end and assumed I had not been successful, however, I was then contacted to be told that there had been a 'HR error' and immediately received an offer, I accepted the offer.

Interview Questions

• Describe a situation where you have acted under pressure   Answer Question

Retail Buyer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Swindon, Gloucestershire, South West England, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at English Heritage (Swindon, Gloucestershire, South West England, England (UK)) in February 2011.

Interview

Two interviews - firstly with direct line manager and then Second interview with Category Director - not really taxing

Interview Questions

Negotiation

Lack of flexibility to negotiate - as there are very strict pay bands