English Heritage Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Interviews at English Heritage

3.1

Sort:

Steward Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at English Heritage (London, England (UK)) in September 2018.

Interview

Interviewed by 2 EH staff for a historic property steward role. OK interview, lack of focus on the history and contents of the building, which is surely why someone would want to work there. Seemed more interested in how I could raise revenue for the company. Sadly it was another tick box exercise in fulfilling the requirements on paper, rather then looking at the individual in front of them, and how their job experience was valid.
    Poor communication, I emailed after 5 days to see how it was progressing, only to have to wait another 5 days to hear back from the member of EH staff who interviewed me to learn I had been unsuccessful, no feedback was offered, so I enquired whether this was possible to help with application forms such as this. Eventually they got back to me with feedback, reason being that I hadn't been successful was due to my lack of 'till and tourism' experience, which is frankly insulting, when I have over 4 years experience in customer facing hospitality & significant cash handling. To conclude, the whole experience left a very bad impression of the company as a whole.

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to work at EH   1 Answer

Administrator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Newport, South East England, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at English Heritage (Newport, South East England, England (UK)) in June 2017.

Interview

Two tests. One was a prioritisation of tasks and the other was to do a response letter to a customer complaint. Followed by interview with two managers. Both people were clearly tired of interviewing by the time they saw me. I got no feedback on the tasks that I carried out. Their interviewing technique was very inflexible. There was no opportunity to showcase my ability to to do the job. I had a portfolio which they declined to look at. Every question was about dealing with stress. This would have been a relatively stress free post and so I feel that the questions posed were a little inappropriate. The role involved was clearly customer service based. This is an area in which I am fully competent but they did not allow for any diversification from the questions that they had on a sheet of paper. I feel that the two people doing the interviews were not experienced in getting the best out of their interviewees.

Interview Questions

• Pretty much every single question was 'how would you cope in this stressful situation?' 'Give me an example of when you encountered this kind of scenario'. Very rigid process, no interest in personal skills or personality.   Answer Question

Retail Supervisor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Battle, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at English Heritage (Battle, England (UK)) in April 2017.

Interview

I applied a month before the closing date but didn't hear that had an interview until 2 weeks after the advert had closed, I was then given 2 days notice and no option as to when my interview was apart from the time.
    The interview itself was fine.
    I then was emailed 2 weeks later to be offered a second interview a month later, I had been offered a position with a different company by this point and let them know.
    I was then emailed again 2 weeks after being offered a second interview and turning them down , that they would not be taking my application further!
    Frankly I don't see how anyone could wait 3 months from first applying to offer which was a shame as I would liked to have worked for them despite the low age.

Interview Questions

• How would I prepare for big events for over 12,000 people?   1 Answer

Historian Interview

Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 8 weeks. I interviewed at English Heritage (London, England (UK)) in June 2013.

Interview

Great questions relating to the future position, picture test, good opportunity for discussion and to show your personality and ability to think on your feet; responsive and engaged interviewing panel, good an fair grading system

Interview Questions

• To anayse architectural drawings   1 Answer

Retail Buyer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Swindon, Gloucestershire, South West England, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at English Heritage (Swindon, Gloucestershire, South West England, England (UK)) in February 2011.

Interview

Two interviews - firstly with direct line manager and then Second interview with Category Director - not really taxing

Interview Questions

Negotiation

Lack of flexibility to negotiate - as there are very strict pay bands

Digital Marketing Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Swindon, Wiltshire, South West England, England (UK)

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at English Heritage (Swindon, Wiltshire, South West England, England (UK)) in January 2018.

Interview

Applied through a recruitment agency, first stage was a telephone interview. Following that I was asked to attend an in-person interview and to prepare a presentation giving an in-depth look at the performance of one of their properties. There was also a written test to assess SQL skills and knowledge of Google Analytics and other digital analytics tools such as regular expressions (regex).
    In the end I wasn't extended an offer - feedback was that they are planning a restructure in April and they plan to split this role into two roles instead.

Interview Questions

• What is the most exciting digital insight you've encountered in your current role?
      What do you do when you don't know how to approach a task?
      Can you work effectively on your own?
      Describe a time you brought about a significant change at your current role? How did you do it? What benefit did it bring?   Answer Question

Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at English Heritage (London, England (UK)) in January 2016.

Interview

Very old fashioned. Not welcoming. Not interested in their core business. Felt like the civil service of the 1950s. Obsessed with process. Competency based questions. Impatient with any questions received.

Archive Support Officer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Swindon, Wiltshire, South West England, England (UK)

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at English Heritage (Swindon, Wiltshire, South West England, England (UK)) in November 2010.

Interview

The position was advertised in the local paper but the job description was generic and much more complicated than was actually needed to do the job. Vacancies are also advertised on the company website and you can register for job alerts. The application form on line is really good as after you have filled it in for one position you can use it again if applying for another job as your details are remembered. Interviews may be by a panel of line managers concerned with your particular role. It is good to do some research prior to interview and it may be possible to go on a tour to find out more about the place where you will be working. Water is provided at interviews and staff take it in turns to ask questions. You may need to sit a test for some roles. People are selected for interview according to their skills experience and appropriate attributes for the role. A reserve will also be selected in case someone does not turn up.

Interview Questions

• What is your previous knowledge and experience of English Heritage.   1 Answer

Negotiation

Start date

Historic Properties Team Member Interview

Anonymous Employee in Bedford, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at English Heritage (Bedford, England (UK)) in March 2011.

Interview

I applied for the position online, was subsequently asked via email to attend an interview, I attended the interview, but didn't hear anything for weeks on end and assumed I had not been successful, however, I was then contacted to be told that there had been a 'HR error' and immediately received an offer, I accepted the offer.

Interview Questions

• Describe a situation where you have acted under pressure   Answer Question

Ecommerce Assistant Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at English Heritage (Swindon, Wiltshire, South West England, England (UK)) in September 2016.

Interview

After writing the application I was contacted a week or so later to attend a face to face interview. The interview was with two people and I was asked to answer competency based questions, I was then giving a copy writing task. First impression was okay so I was happy to attend a second interview to which i was invited a few days later. I was asked to complete another test before attending the second interview. Second interview was with the hiring manager and her boss. He made a sexist comment towards me which was unwelcome and inappropriate. I was offered the job but rejected it as the salary was low, long commute and a sexist boss is not acceptable.