Exploratorium Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Exploratorium Interview Questions

2.9

Project Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Exploratorium.

Interview

Very comfortable interview with intelligent staff in the Exploratorium building. The interviewer described the position in depth and gave a lot of context to allow me to better describe my relevant experience.

Campus Lead Project Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Exploratorium (San Francisco, CA) in November 2016.

Interview

It started with a phone interview then a promise of an in-person panel interview following making it to the final round. This never happened - oddly unprofessional. I was kept on the hook for 3+ months during which time I passed up another opportunity because I had been told I was one of the last and top qualified people. My qualifications were pretty strong, more than required experience necessary plus letters of reference from people in the field.

Communication the whole time was extremely poor and each time I politely asked for an update I was greeted with apologies and an assurance that I was in the final group and there would be a phone call to schedule a final in person interview soon. It just went on and on.

I had a friend applying for the same job who when we compared notes also had a similar experience. Unbeknownst to them we have a friend working at the Exploratorium who informed us all final candidates had been dismissed when pressure from a chief donor caused them to give the job to someone who was not in the initial first rounds and appeared (by linked in/FB search) to be related to the donor.

Not at all how I thought the Exploratorium was run. Apparently the company is highly nepotistic and I wouldn't bother applying if you are not related to a donor or a higher employee. My wife's company(major credit card) until recently held their holiday parties there and after we shared the experience with them the agreed to hold them elsewhere in the future.

Interview Questions

• What was one of your toughest challenges and how did you solve it?   Answer Question

Project Manager/Property Manager Interview

Application

Interview

Initial interview by phone went well and I was told similar to another reviewer(possibly a colleague of mine) that I was one of the strongest candidates and would proceed to the final rounds. I have 5 years as a prop manager and 17 as a project manager in construction, 2 as an expert witness helping diagnose construction and water shed disputes plus a masters in management.

As I waited for the scheduling of the final group interview days turned to weeks and weeks to months. I would send friendly inquires which were initially ignored and then responded to with an explanation that I was still one of the final top candidates and would be called in for a group interview any day.

In the meantime I received an offer from another company that would have meant commuting to the east bay and had limited time to respond. I unfortunately gambled on the Exploratorium, thinking based on what they were saying that I was possibly the lead candidate. Plus I already temporarily worked for one of the tenants and have the commute figured out. I knew this was a gamble.

Turned out in the end after maybe 3 months of being lead along I was suddenly and coldly dismissed after I inquired about the status. An intern sent me a "cut and paste" rejection suggesting my resumé was not strong enough (as if I had just applied for the job and not already advanced in the interviews). I requested feedback from both the intern and the interviewer thinking that since I had been considered for so long it wasn't an unreasonable thing to ask. Both of my emails were then ignored.

I have been rejected for my share of jobs but never been treated like this before. I grew up idolizing the Exploratorium and thought it might be an amazing and fulfilling place to work but my experience tells me there are problems simmering under the Exploratorium's skin.

Interview Questions

• What was one of your difficult challenges that did not go so well and how did you deal with it over time.   1 Answer

Communications and Marketing Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Exploratorium (San Francisco, CA).

Interview

AVOID THIS DEPARTMENT!!!

Phone screening, then in person interview. The in-person interview was really weird. One of the people who interviewed me seemed completely unprofessional and was wearing an obviously stained t-shirt (ew). The other one seemed really weirdly nervous. The questions they asked me were terrible and just felt like they were wasting time because they hadn't prepared at all.

Also weirdly nobody on their marketing and communications team actually DOES anything. They outsource to not one, not two, not three, but FOUR agencies. Wow, that must be a great job, getting paid to do nothing.

I was offended that the person who would have been my director was not only late for our section of the interview but then had to leave early! And then all she talked about was how much the rest of the museum hated the marketing and communications team, and how they often cried during meetings!! Holy cow, I've never been so unimpressed during an interview in my entire life!

I guess this is what happens when you have a big institution with a ton of $$$$$$$ and little pressure to actually perform. Sad. No way I would have taken this job after that interview.

Project Coordinator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Exploratorium (San Francisco, CA) in November 2014.

Interview

I first had a phone interview, followed by a group interview with the department director and several prospective coworkers, including the position incumbent. Although the panel's questions were challenging, I felt very comfortable and at ease—maybe too comfortable. Some questions were standardized, but much of the interview was natural and conversational. They chose to move forward with a different candidate, which worked out okay, as the position wasn't a total match for my goals.

High School Explainer Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Exploratorium (San Francisco, CA) in June 2010.

Interview

First you call on a certain day to get an interview. Suggested that you call early as possible and most likely during your school hours. It's first come first served for about 60 interview spots. You interview with two current explainers and then 1:1 with a supervisor. Simple questions such as what you are interested in at school, how you heard about the job, how you whould discribe yourself, what you think it the job is. No question is wrong. It's really more of a judge of your personality. If you make a good impression on the Explainer then you have a good chance of being hired.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

You should get an offer back with about 2 weeks. Lots of paid job training.

Exhibit Developer Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 6+ weeks. I interviewed at Exploratorium (San Francisco, CA) in March 2010.

Interview

Very open communication with the hiring manager led to a day of interviews. Interviewers were varied, from different groups within the institution, and provided a good view into work processes at the museum.

Interviewers asked a wide variety of questions, as much about working processes and personality fit as about anything directly related to applicable skills. My position included programming skills; there were no "quizzes" but I was asked to submit a code sample. Interviews are more conversational than Q/A.

Based on my interview and subsequent interviews that I performed, it's clear that cultural fit is of primary importance; portfolio / previous work speaks for itself in terms of technical fit and ability.

Interview Questions

• Why specifically do you want to work here?   1 Answer

Negotiation

Negotiation is almost impossible due to the wage schedule mandated by union-management negotiations, but my manager managed to get me in at a higher starting grade and thus get a slight bump in base salary.

Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Exploratorium in January 2010.

Interview

The interviewer was very unprofessional that I had to file a HR report about his behavior.

Research Assistant Interview

Application

The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Exploratorium in January 2010.

Interview

one hour phone interview, to be followed by a 2-3 hour face-to-face informal skills test a couple of weeks later.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

They are pretty fair and the pay and benefit package is pretty black and white, so I couldn't think of what I've negotiated for. I was pretty satisfied with their offer.