Extron Electronics Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Aug 9, 2017

2.6

.NET Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Burbank, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Extron Electronics (Burbank, CA) in July 2017.

Interview

Reached out by recruiter, HR called to confirm on site interview. Interview began with filling out an application, then programming test in Visual Studio for 10 minutes. Questions about design pattern, draw in white board MVVM. Agile methodology questions.

QA Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Extron Electronics.

Interview

Was offered the position at the end of the second interview with HR. Overall an easy interview, hit it off with HR and hiring manager so it was a smooth process.

Interview Questions

• name a difficult situation and what you did to overcome that situation   Answer Question

Quality Assurance Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Raleigh, NC

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Extron Electronics (Raleigh, NC).

Interview

I applied through the company website after seeing a posting on LinkedIn. Within a few days of receiving my application, I was invited for a face-to-face interview. I was expecting that this would just be a preliminary HR screen and was told to block out 30-60 minutes. When I arrived, I was surprised to first meet with 2 hiring managers -- one in person and one via video conference. That interview lasted over an hour and we had a great conversation. I really liked both managers. At the conclusion of that interview, I asked what the next steps were and they indicated that they would like me to meet with HR.

I waited for about 20-30 minutes for the HR person to come in and she apologized -- apparently they had wanted me to talk to another manager via video conference but their internet went out (construction in the area and someone cut through the wrong cable -- not Extron's fault).

The HR person was very upfront about the expectations and "rules" associated with Extron. I was prepared for most of it based on the Glassdoor reviews. She even said that it wasn't an environment "for everyone" but it works for them.

She asked if I was interested in hearing about the benefits. I said "please" and she went through the benefits package which sounded really quite good -- particularly the medical which is unheard of in this day an age. In fact, I told my ex-husband about the medical benefits and he said "Man... do they need a doctor?!"

Overall, I spent over 2 hours there and all of my interactions with everyone from the front desk person to the hiring managers and everyone in between were very positive. I did not experience any "attitude" or "rudeness".

The next day I received an offer which matched my previous employer's salary. In reality, it would have been a raise given the strength of their benefits and relative location.

I know that some reviews have said that they resented the fact that it was HR that seemed to hold final say. However, I REALLY appreciated the "one and done" approach. Like it or not, wherever you interview, HR determines whether or not you will be passed on to the hiring manager so whether you meet with HR first via a phone screen or last after you have gotten the "thumbs up" from the hiring manager, all roads pass through HR. I appreciated the fact that I got to "plead my case" directly to the hiring manager right off the bat rather than be screened out by HR before they could ever see my resume.

I ultimately chose a different offer with a more traditional IT "culture". However, I was very grateful for the way Extron handled their interviews. I also like the fact that they are very upfront about their policies. Often you don't find out all the rules etc until after you have already accepted the offer and you either find out by reading through the employee handbook or after you have already screwed something up.

As the HR person said, the Extron culture is not for everyone... however, it works for them and they are upfront about it. Had I chosen to work there, I have no doubt that I would have gained valuable skills and learned a lot.

Interview Questions

• We are a no-smoking workplace. Would you have a problem with that.   2 Answers

Scheduling Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Anaheim, CA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Extron Electronics (Anaheim, CA) in May 2017.

Interview

First interview was with the Engineering Manager and another engineer that lasted one hour. It dealt mainly with previous work responsibilities and reasons why you left, and then going over the job you are interviewing for and company background. Second interview was with the Director and VP of Engineering. Each person took about half an hour going over previous work experience in more detail, product knowledge, and the motivation in joining Extron. Third interview is with HR for about half an hour. Typical questions such as "tell me about yourself," "greatest weakness," "rate Extron from 1-10," etc.

The engineering personnel were very courteous, and one of them was even very helpful in describing the interview process and pitfalls of it. The HR person on the other hand was blunt (I didn't think she was rude) and the questions somewhat cliche. But don't discount this last interview as a formality. HR makes the decision to extend an offer, not the department you're interviewing for.

Interview Questions

• Do you have a problem with clocking in and out (even for salaried positions) including for breaks?   Answer Question
    • Do you wear perfume or cologne? Company doesn't allow due to other people's complaints.   Answer Question
    • Expected salary? and why?   Answer Question

SDE1 Interview

Application

I applied in-person. I interviewed at Extron Electronics.

Interview

Direct onsite because I interviewed in the past and did well that time. From the time I sent my resume to interview day: 2 weeks. From interview day to offer over the phone: 2 weeks.

The syllabus for the interviews is very clear and simple:
    1) Dynamic Programming
    2) Super recursion (permutation, combination,...2^n, m^n, n!...etc. type of program. (NP hard, NP programs)
    3) Probability related programs

QA Tester Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Extron Electronics (New York, NY).

Interview

This company has their interview process completely backwards. I get asked to come in on a certain day to be interviewed. I get asked fairly simple questions about my resume. I am then asked to come in on another day to talk to HR. The technical interviewers were great, HR is a nightmare and takes no responsibilities. I come in on another day to talk to HR and they look at my resume and tell me that to be honest I am unqualified and that I am not a software dev because I did not graduate with a BS in Computer Science. I argued with HR asking why I was let through to be interviewed for technical portion, then told them I was no longer interested in the position. HR simply says they weren't around, even though this was the same person that called me the week before to schedule the interview.
    Word of advice...phone screen before you ask people to come in for a technical interview. Time would have been saved for both parties if they simply had a phone screen.

Interview Questions

• The questions they ask come from your resume. Know it very very well.   Answer Question

Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Anaheim, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Extron Electronics (Anaheim, CA) in January 2017.

Interview

Interview was good but HR was rude.She treats candidate badly.After the technical interview you may feel hopeful but after hr interview you might be in a bad mood.They emailed me 3 weeks after the interview that im not selected.

Applications Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Extron Electronics in January 2017.

Interview

Got a call from HR to set up a Skype interview. First Skype interview was technical in nature. Was asked about basic Java OOPS concepts and data structures.Was asked to code 2 easy algorithms on a shared google doc. Was asked how I would further optimize the solution.(LeetCode easy level). The interview went really well.
    Got a call from HR the same day to schedule another Skype interview.
    The second Skype was HR round. I had read about all the horror stories about this round so was ready for it. The interview started well, however things escalated really quickly. None of the answers I gave seemed to be satisfactory. If I gave detailed answers, I was told to be brief. When I gave brief answers, I was told that they don't make sense. Inspite of all this I felt that I gave pretty decent answers to all the questions.
    It has been almost 3 months since the interview. I mailed them twice regarding the status of my application. Haven't heard back from them yet. It looks really unprofessional on their part to not even acknowledge a mail from a candidate. Won't be joining here for sure!

Interview Questions

• Technical: Java, simple array questions, how data structures work Java(Hashmap)
      HR:general HR questions which can be found in glassdoor.   Answer Question

Design Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Anaheim, CA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Extron Electronics (Anaheim, CA) in January 2017.

Interview

long wait to get to the actual hiring manager, upwards of 1hr and they asked if I wanted to come back another day.

the interview was lackluster and the panel seemed bored and wasn't really sure why they wanted another engineer on their team.

what's the point of bringing in someone to interview and then have them wait for a ridiculous amount of time while they had other meetings and then not sure if they need the position?

a total waste of my time.

Interview Questions

• what's your relevant background for this position?   1 Answer

Intern Interview

Anonymous Employee in Anaheim, CA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Extron Electronics (Anaheim, CA) in November 2016.

Interview

Hiring process was pretty simple. Received call for pre-screening process and to schedule a Technical interview. Technical round was average. After 1 week, received a call to visit the office for HR interview. HR round was difficult. Be ready for HR to ask in-depth questions. Received offer letter after a week from HR interview.