FEMA Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Nov 6, 2018

2.6

Intake Specialist Interview

Anonymous Employee in Winchester, VA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at FEMA (Winchester, VA) in September 2013.

Interview

truly simple - questions about resume, and question about any criminal history. It was quick and I was sworn in the same day. Yes the job is worth it because at this point you will be helping people who have lost everything including loved ones

Interview Questions

• Do you have any misdemeanors? what and when   1 Answer

Interviewee Interview

Anonymous Employee in Southeast Owasco, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at FEMA (Southeast Owasco, NY).

Interview

Called by HR to come in for interview and attended a panel interview with two HR reps and someone from the region office. The people who did the interview made me comfortable and it was not an intimidating process. Honesty is the best policy during the interview process and it will make you more relaxed as you answer questions you may not have considered. It is either the right opportunity or not and you don't want to end of in a position that is the wrong fit for you. I feel I was perfectly matched for the position I interviewed for.

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to work for FEMA?   3 Answers

Negotiation

The salary and benefits were clearly spelled out so there was no negotiation.

Intern Interview

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at FEMA (Washington, DC) in March 2012.

Interview

Phone interview was easy. Basic questions about experiences and what I want from internship. Why I wanted to intern here and how this internship would affect my future in my field. Background test was obviously easy (for me at least).

Interview Questions

• What do you want from this internship that would help you later on in your expected career path?   Answer Question

Negotiation

Internship is unpaid so there was not much negotiation to be had. However, they were very easy-going on hours and days to work.

Internal Communications Specialist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 6 days. I interviewed at FEMA (Washington, DC) in February 2018.

Interview

My resume was found online, and I was contacted by the HR department to interview for the position. There was a phone screening and an in-person follow up interview. There was no follow up after the interview.

Interview Questions

• What do you think is your strongest communications skill?   Answer Question

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at FEMA in May 2018.

Interview

I’ve had 3 interviews and 3 offers with FEMA. Each was a panel interview with Problem-action-result type questions. Each candidate is asked same questions for fairness. Was surprised that the interview did open at points for more casual conversation. The process is lengthy at every step from application to interview to offer. Then security process is immensely variable as well. You’re looking at a 6-8 month process.

Interview Questions

• Name an instance where you had to deliver technical data to an audience unfamiliar with the subject matter. Describe the challenges and whether the initiative was successful.   Answer Question
    • Describe a time where you didn’t meet objectives and what you learned from the instance.   Answer Question

Senior Program Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at FEMA (New York, NY).

Interview

Thorough. Panel of four experienced professionals. Discussion of emergency management experience and deployments. Collateral duties responsibilities and the training involved. The types of emergency management exposures you will have includes anything that compromises lives, safety and property.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

Working for FEMA requires an extensive background check.

Application

I applied online. The process took 6+ months. I interviewed at FEMA in August 2014.

Interview

Phone Interview where we talked about FEMA's mission, my current employment, and my military background including what communication equipment I had worked on. Also talked about my clearance. This was for an excepted service position so they did a direct hire.

Interview Questions

• What type of equipment did you work on? Have you ever dealt with COMSEC material?   1 Answer

Negotiation

Non negotiable GS pay scale.

General Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at FEMA in October 2014.

Interview

I applied on USA jobs. I was "referred" within 2 weeks. About 1 month after applying I received a phone call setting up an interview one week later. I arrived on site and was escorted to a conference room. There were 3 people interviewing me, 2 engineers and 1 non-technical employee. There were 6 questions:

Would you be a pen or pencil?

How do you deal with stress?

Give me the difference between "this" funding type, and "that" funding type, Pros and cons for each?

If you were deployed to impact area, and had a little time for research, what would you research first?

Interview Questions

• How does mitigation fit into the National Response Framework?   Answer Question

Financial Management Specialist Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 6+ weeks. I interviewed at FEMA in May 2016.

Interview

Open panel of 3 people. 10 questions and each answer had to be in the form of SITUATION, ACTION and RESULT. based on your experiences. Interview began with an explanation of the position and the salary rationale.

Interview Questions

• Explain a time when you dealt with mitigating conflict management   Answer Question

IT Program Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at FEMA (Washington, DC).

Interview

I interviewed on the phone because I was out of town. A panel of 3 will conduct the interviews. Once you are offered the job, you must pass a Security check. This could take a while.

Interview Questions

• Asked questions from the application.....More detail as to experience.   1 Answer