FJA-US Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Apr 20, 2017

2.8

Software Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at FJA-US (New York, NY).

Interview

3 rounds - Telephonic (self, internships, projects, data structures - one from each), In-person (Questions regarding JS / HTTP, BackboneJS, Project related questions and {coding test - implement stack using without collections on codepen})

Software Engineer (Mid-level) Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at FJA-US (New York, NY) in July 2016.

Interview

I did not know this was for a junior role. They bumped me up to interview for a mid-level role, which was also junior for my level of experience. However, I decided to proceed anyway to gain more interview experience.

There was an initial phone screen, a technical phone interview and an in-person technical interview. The technical phone interview was mostly average questions on Java, OOP and soft skills. At the in-person interview, I met the manager and Sr developer of the backend development team.

The questions by the manager felt a bit contentious, but nothing uncomfortable. The manager appeared a bit put off by my resume and wanted me to quantify my 10 years experience, and so the rest of his questions seemed more gotcha-type than informative. In contrast, the questions by the Sr. Engineer was purely technical and very fair for this role. There was a math/logic question to evaluate my thought process, which I felt I could have done a lot better. The interview ended with me coding a Stack class.

Project Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 6+ weeks. I interviewed at FJA-US (New York, NY).

Interview

The process statred with a call from a recruiting company followed by series of interview, however process was very slow and unprofessional from FJA managers.
    In the first round of interview, the peers of the PM role were in the interview panel which was for 100 mins, but following round of interview took over a week to et schedule with C-management and Sr PM lasting for 75 mins.
    The feedback from both round of interview was positive and I was told HR will get in touch with me for finalizing the next steps.
    Following with the recruitment company and Hiring manager I got a feedback that I amperfect match for this role but the only conern they had was about me asking them question on PM career growth and the negative reviews about them over internet.
    However after discussing the concers I was told that there would be a call with HR to finalize the next steps but to my surprise I get a call from Recruiting company stating the feedback as "not a match" to what they are looking for.....strange and unreasonable feedback.......
    I discussed it with the Recruiting agency and they dicussed with FJA for moving to next steps......

Interview Questions

• The interview was very detailed and questions asked were relevant.   Answer Question

Very inprofessional and irrelevant feedbacks.

FJA-US Response

Oct 14, 2014 – HR Director

We apologize this interview process was not acceptable to you. Please understand that we do not have control over what a recruiter states to candidates. According to our records, resumes were ... More

Senior Java Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Denver, CO

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at FJA-US (Denver, CO) in April 2013.

Interview

I went through their hiring process including a test and two hour technical interview. The following day they indicated that they wanted to hire me and were finalizing an offer.I had stated my salary requirement up front and In negotiating salary, my minimum number was $183.33/month more than the offer they wanted to make; however, I already had an offer at the number and I indicated that I understood if this was a problem for them..

After a almost a week, during which the hire-resources recruiter claimed that FJA was revising their offer, the recruiter told me that a "managing director wanted to talk to me." I asked what it was about and the recruiter (hire-resources.com) stated that he did not know. I agreed to the call.

When someone who identified himself as a "managing director" called me, he was 10 minutes late. He proceeded to tell me that he needed a minute to find my resume. Then he proceeded to tell me that he had not read my resume and without hesitation, told me to tell him about what I had been doing, highlights in my career, give him an overview of my technology skills and qualifications, likes, dislikes, "and et cetera"

I indicated that this was a fairly broad question and I asked if there were particular areas he wanted to know first. His response was "what do you think I want to know? tell me what you did at your last job and what you have been doing since."

Aside from the fact that this person was extremely abrasive, late in calling and completely unfamiliar with me as a perspective employee, the thing that made this truly remarkable was that I had indicated that I was fine with taking the other position and the only reason I had delayed in doing so was that I was willing to wait a little longer since the position at FJA appeared more interesting and challenging.

The bottom line is that hire-resources misrepresented this firm as being interested in highly skilled employees when they are more so a purely numbers driven organization (the glass door average salaries give an idea as to how much so), and that not only are they pretty disorganized but they do not consistently operate in a professional fashion when seeking FTEs.

This company should be avoided.

Interview Questions

• "I haven't read your resume, tell him about what you have been doing, highlights in my career, give him an overview of my technology skills and qualifications   Answer Question

Subsequent to the actual interview process, the managing director I spoke to was extremely rude and unprofessional. I was actually very glad to speak to him as I was ready to take the position if they adjusted the offer and working at this company clearly would have been a mistake. I was lucky and managed to learn this in advance. Others may not be so lucky.

They conclusively showed that the $183.33/month difference in salary was far more important and significant to them than either the quality of the candidate or whether someone would want to work their long term.

EMF Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at FJA-US (New York, NY).

Interview

A third party recruiter struck the deal between the employer and I to go and interview here. There is no cost associated for a recruiter to throw some buzzwords into linkedin, load your profile, call you and tell you to go for an interview.

This company required that any candidate pass their online test, which any half decent computer science graduate can ace in about half an hour. The recruiter then said I must be one of the 'super star' candidates and since I had passed the technical screen, they would really like to interview me.

The company saw some buzzwords that matched what they were looking for, and since there is no cost they have to pay to cycle candidates through their doors around christmas time (when their clients are slowing down), I was in.

I was greeted promptly, asked to fill out an application form with questions like:

Are you willing to travel?
    Will you be available to do overtime?

What do they think any person under the sun will answer?

I spent about 3 hours talking to two gentlemen and one over the phone. They were mostly interested in discussing some of my experience and application of the technologies listed on my resume. I answered everything in detail and didn't stumble to the best of my knowledge. Java based technologies like maven, spring, EMF, Eclipse, OSGi were discussed.

Suddenly in the middle, I was asked where I had used something that wasn't on my resume - Eclipse plugin development, SWT, JFace. It was related, but nothing I had claimed I knew, and they were shocked. I didn't claim I knew it. At that time I felt that the job description was not in line with what they actually wanted.

The feedback given to me indicated that I practically lied on my resume and that my resume didn't add up to who I was. That's when I realized for the umpteenth time: deal with a principal recruiter. He or She can neither afford to waste the company's time, nor are they interested in exploring if you just may be a fit.

Interview Questions

• So where did you develop Eclipse plugins?   1 Answer

Senior QA Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at FJA-US (New York, NY) in September 2012.

Interview

I was hired at FJA-US twice, the first time in the New York office as a QA Analyst having just worked 2 years as a data analyst at a banking software and advertising agency respectively. I was slated to be interviewed by three people but two were busy so I was interviewed by the most junior of the three who was a business analyst. We discussed QA and BA in a general sense, discussed my credentials then just BSed for a half hour (we both were alums of UVM so it was all VT talk). I received an offer a week later. I left after 16 months having been headhunted by another ad agency to be their Director of QA, I gave FJA a chance to counter the offer, when they declined I still gave a month notice and left on good terms. 2 years later I had moved to Denver and interviewed for a Senior QA Analyst role, I was again interviewed by a single employee, one that I had interviewed and helped hire 2 years prior no less. The HR Director had changed from my last tenure and while they had passed on matching the ad agencies offer last time through the new HR Director hired me at almost the same rate. Since COL in Denver is so much less than NY it seemed like more. One note: my NY licence had expired and the HR Director didn't catch it until two weeks later, waay past the 3 day grace period for I-9 completion. Needless to say she was fired a few weeks after that.

Interview Questions

• Give me an example of a time when you had to repeatedly inform a lead developer that the functionality of a certain aspect of the software was not written to spec and how did you react to the situation.   Answer Question

Negotiation

First time round they gave me what I asked for, second time they came within 5k of what I asked

Software Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at FJA-US (New York, NY) in April 2012.

Interview

First there was pre select round in April. To be precise 1st week of april. This round was taken by Hiring manager and HR. General behavioral Questions and some questions on Java.

I got call for onsite interview schedule in first week of May. When i entered the office the HR person asked me to wait in a room. Asked me to fill out for, general Questions about experience and salary expectations. No one offered ever a glass of water. Then in the same room 2 senior software developers entered.

They first asked me questions based on my resume, then technical questions on Java. About struts framework as the position required knowledge on it. Then a programming exercise on they Laptop which required me to implement stack using Arrays.

The interview went good and lasted for and hour. They told me they would let me know in a week through their HR.

Now its almost a month and I still haven't received any feedback on the interview. I have mailed them 3 times in last one month, spoke once with the HR about the status.

Now its irritating to call then and ask. I dont even feel like working for this company even if they offer me a JOB.

Disgusting experience!!!!

Yesterday I called HR again, she says that you haven't received my mail, I said to myself how will i receive when u haven't yet send me :)
    Anyways they got someone working for them at lesser salary and so they were holding me till now is what i think..

Interview Questions

• to implement stack using array   1 Answer

Java Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Denver, CO

Application

The process took 4 days. I interviewed at FJA-US (Denver, CO) in January 2011.

Interview

Surprisingly difficult to email the HR department, and when I got a message back from them (2 days later), I could only tell it was fja by the sender's email address. The HR person said I would get a call for screening, and they would call back for an office interview within a week. Not knowing the screening call was a technical interview, I didn't do very well...

Interview Questions

• Arrays vs. ArrayLists   1 Answer
    • Describe Java trees, and why balancing them is important.   1 Answer
    • What is inheritance, polymorphism, encapsulation   1 Answer
    • What is hashing, Big O notation, and what is the Big O notation of a hash structure vs. a tree structure.   1 Answer
    • overriding vs. overloading, Interface vs. Abstract, .equals() vs. ==, static vs. final   1 Answer