Fan TV Interview Questions | Glassdoor

2.3

Interviews for Top Jobs at Fan TV

Lead Platform Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Mateo, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a week. I interviewed at Fan TV (San Mateo, CA) in November 2015.

Interview

My opinion in two lines (for the impatients): the good part of my experience was the interaction with the recruiter and the positive attitude of the director. The bad part was the terrible evaluation process (I don't see how a Lead Platform role can be evaluated with coding one single function, where no scalability, no threading, no database, no complex data structure, no pattern, no unit/functional/e2e testing, is required), the lack of communication with the team, and the doubts about their current technology.

More details if you are interested:
    I was contacted by a Rovi recruiter for a lead engineering role at FanTv, a company acquired by Rovi about a year ago. The interaction with the recruiter was very positive. The job description motivated me enough to initiate the interview process.
    I was given a HackerRank to solve at home. You choose your favorite programming language, when you want to do it, and you have 240 mins to submit the code and pass as many test cases as possible (out of 20). The problem was about scheduling meetings in rooms, based on priority. When I did it online, the solution I submitted was not perfect (there were a few tests failing). However, that was enough to catch the interest of the team and invite me for an onsite interview.

That day I was greeted by the recruiter, and then had a brief chat with the director. He didn't have any questions for me, and was there to answer my questions. I personally wasn't particularly impressed by their technology, and their key differentiator compared to bigger competitors.

Then, it was the time for one and later another engineer for the technical part of the interview. Interestingly, the full interview was exclusively focused on completing the HackerRank and making sure all the test cases were passing. Nothing more than that.
    Eventually I solved all the test cases.
    I wasn't given any chance to ask the engineers about their role. They didn't show any interest in my background (they didn't even ask me what I do). Everything was purely "solve the HackerRank".

Finally, I was supposed to interview with a VP, but that interview was cancelled due to his/her absence.

Hope this helps you.

Interview Questions

• You have N available rooms and M desired meetings. Each meeting has a start time, end time, and priority.
      Write a function that returns the list of meetings that can be scheduled based on the available rooms, ordered by priority and start time.
      Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Fan TV.

Interview

Had a 10 minute phone screen where I was given an assignment to be completed through Ruby on Rails. It was a basic web app that didn't require much Rails experience at all, but more CSS and HTML. A couple weeks later I was given a 4-hour technical interview in their San Mateo office.

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Mateo, CA

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at Fan TV (San Mateo, CA) in December 2012.

Interview

I recently did interviews on-site at Fanhattan, a company that aggregates a number of different media delivery methods.

Their office is located about a ten minute walk away from the San Mateo Caltrain station which, depending on which train you catch, can be a relatively quick "Baby Bullet" train ride from San Jose or San Francisco.

When I walked in around noon, everyone was enjoying a catered lunch (and I forgot to ask if catered lunch is a daily or regular occurrence). You'll see plenty of movie props sitting around the office, and the work environment looked like the typical "open plan" of long desks with slightly personalized areas that you might find in a number of Silicon Valley start-ups. It didn't look like there was much room in there for the company to be able to add additional people.

The role I was interviewing for was as a Mobile Engineer, and when I stepped in I first got to speak with the UX / UI person who was very passionate about her role and seemed to be someone who appreciates having interface & experience ideas bounced off of. I then got to speak with the two iOS focused engineers, both ex-Apple employees, and their line of questioning basically interrogated me about my UI knowledge (e.g. describe the architecture of a sliding UISwitch, the various layers of it and how this might be implemented in the code behind the scenes). They didn't seem to care very much for the underlying protocols or plumbing of the app, focusing more on the user experience (the space that Fanhattan lives in is pretty competitive and therefore they are pretty picky about having a distinctive user interface). If you're going onsite, it will definitely be useful to be very familiar with the Fanhattan app and/or website and their offerings.

And after I left, I later found out that they turned me down because they felt I was too arrogant or assertive to be a good potential co-worker. This was a great bummer, since I felt like I had to show I could have strong opinions and stand independently of the two ex-Apple employees, but hopefully my experience flunking my Fanhattan interview will help you to pass yours. If my interview notes helped you out, please let me know by voting "yes" on the "Helpful?" question below.

Interview Questions

• Describe the implementation of a switch in terms of the animation and methods that should be made available.   Answer Question