Fenwick & West Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Feb 6, 2018

2.2

Patent Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Fenwick & West (San Francisco, CA) in October 2015.

Interview

Finished up my Ph.D. in Electrical Engineering, knew I wanted out of high tech. Stopped by F&W booth at my schools career fair.

They asked for some writing samples so I sent them my two most recent publications. A few weeks later I was invited to an onsite interview in SF/Mountain View. A few weeks later this was followed by a dinner with a partner and an associate in a region where they want to open a new office (this part is non-standard). A few weeks after that I was extended an offer.

I believe this process took a bit longer than normal due to logistics of expanding to a new area.

This interview is VERY different than any technical interview you will have. Work on your soft skills and behavioral answers. If you are getting invited for an onsite, they already believe you have the technical chops and are just trying to see if you are a good fit for the company.

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to go into IP after a PhD?   1 Answer
    • Do you think software should be patentable?   1 Answer
    • Do you have any prior experience with patents?   1 Answer
    • Do you know the patent process?   1 Answer

Patent Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Mountain View, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Fenwick & West (Mountain View, CA) in January 2015.

Interview

Phone interview with one of the Partners followed by on-site interview in their office with 6-7 people in a single day. You will be asked to explain why you want to work for a law firm. I met with the partners, associates and other professional staff that I would be working with. I was asked to explain why I am interested in a career in patent law.

Interview Questions

• What do you think about patentability of software?   1 Answer

Case Assistant Interview

Interview

Pretty Standard Interview. First round was a phone screen with a person in HR. Second round was with the paralegal manager in Mountain View. Final Round was 2 back to back interviews with people in the group I was working in.

Interview Questions

• How would you solve a technical issue without going to IT.   Answer Question

Litigation Paralegal Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mountain View, CA

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Fenwick & West (Mountain View, CA) in March 2016.

Interview

I applied through a recruiting agency. The first interview was a phone screen with an in-house recruiter. The second interview was in-person in Mountain view with the Paralegal Manager and a senior paralegal. They also required 2 tests, one writing sample prepared there, and a multiple choice online test re spelling, grammar, and punctuation. I never heard another word from them following the in-person interview.

Recruiter Interview

Anonymous Employee in Mountain View, CA

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. I interviewed at Fenwick & West (Mountain View, CA).

Interview

Friendly, transparent, and moved along at a great pace. I didn't have to wait very long for next steps. During each step of the process I was informed of what I could expect how long I would be interviewing for.

FA Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Jose, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at Fenwick & West (San Jose, CA) in January 2016.

Interview

I got the interview through a recruiter. It's an phone interview. It's simple and took about 30 mins. Then after one day, the recruiter informed me I was not the right candidate. Also, during the interview, I felt this position did not match my background very well.

Digital Marketing Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Fenwick & West (San Francisco, CA) in April 2016.

Interview

I had a phone interview with Fenwick & West. I filled out an online form. There isn't 1 aspect of the job that I would not have been qualified to do, and then some. It is something I've done for over 12 years for law firm. But I'm looking for a change since I've had my own company for over 8 years am a public speaker and teach digital marketing to law firms. I think I know where the interview went "south" because I never heard back. Because I have my own company she called me a "consultant" and I think that I heard a tone in her voice that marked me off the list at that point.

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Fenwick & West (San Francisco, CA) in February 2014.

Interview

The process included a casual 30 minute phone interview with management discussing my experience and qualifications. Later that same day, we scheduled an interview on site. Several people were invited to speak with me, with about 3 people in the room at the same time. I came back for a 20 minute third interview with a partner. The interviews were much more casual than I've experienced at other firms, and they seemed genuinely more interested in my personality than testing whether I could answer difficult questions or riddles. I heard back the next day with an offer.

Interview Questions

• Talk us through the process of what happens when you receive a final office action.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Mountain View, CA

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at Fenwick & West (Mountain View, CA) in February 2010.

Interview

Interviewed with both the HR Associate as well as the Department Manager. I had a friend at the firm who recommended me. I was overqualified, but needed a job as I lost my job during the last down turn. The firm almost didn't hire me because I was overqualified, but they made an offer and I gladly accepted.

Negotiation

Pretty straight forwward.

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Fenwick & West (New York, NY).

Interview

Phone interview with a recruiter from Mountain View, California. I was asked basic questions. Afterwards, met with the Senior Administrator in New York - spent an hour discussing the Firm, going over the questions I had, extremely impressed with this Firm. I was then invited back to meet with attorneys, partners and legal assistants.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

They are open.