Fenwick & West Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Fenwick & West Interview Questions

2.1

Legal Secretary Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 weeks. I interviewed at Fenwick & West (New York, NY) in January 2017.

Interview

Phone interview with recruiter, then interview(s) with administrator. Made me an offer before checking references. Never met with the team of attorneys. Evaded questions concerning duties and amount of attorneys which I would be assigned (major red flag). Both times I interviewed at the office, the lobby security could not locate my name on the security list. When the concierge attempted to call the receptionist, they kept receiving her automated voicemail. Firm seems rather disorganized. Glad my gut told me no.

Legal Secretary Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Fenwick & West (New York, NY).

Interview

Phone interview with a recruiter from Mountain View, California. I was asked basic questions. Afterwards, met with the Senior Administrator in New York - spent an hour discussing the Firm, going over the questions I had, extremely impressed with this Firm. I was then invited back to meet with attorneys, partners and legal assistants.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

They are open.

Recruiter Interview

Anonymous Employee in Mountain View, CA

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. I interviewed at Fenwick & West (Mountain View, CA).

Interview

Friendly, transparent, and moved along at a great pace. I didn't have to wait very long for next steps. During each step of the process I was informed of what I could expect how long I would be interviewing for.

Legal Support Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in Williston, VT

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Fenwick & West (Williston, VT) in May 2016.

Interview

3 Rounds, once with HR and two managers. Felt more like a conversation about your own background rather than being peppered with questions. Little preparation was required, and was mostly an opportunity for firm to see if you were a good fit professionally and personally.

Digital Marketing Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Fenwick & West (San Francisco, CA) in April 2016.

Interview

I had a phone interview with Fenwick & West. I filled out an online form. There isn't 1 aspect of the job that I would not have been qualified to do, and then some. It is something I've done for over 12 years for law firm. But I'm looking for a change since I've had my own company for over 8 years am a public speaker and teach digital marketing to law firms. I think I know where the interview went "south" because I never heard back. Because I have my own company she called me a "consultant" and I think that I heard a tone in her voice that marked me off the list at that point.

Litigation Paralegal Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mountain View, CA

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Fenwick & West (Mountain View, CA) in March 2016.

Interview

I applied through a recruiting agency. The first interview was a phone screen with an in-house recruiter. The second interview was in-person in Mountain view with the Paralegal Manager and a senior paralegal. They also required 2 tests, one writing sample prepared there, and a multiple choice online test re spelling, grammar, and punctuation. I never heard another word from them following the in-person interview.

FA Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Jose, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at Fenwick & West (San Jose, CA) in January 2016.

Interview

I got the interview through a recruiter. It's an phone interview. It's simple and took about 30 mins. Then after one day, the recruiter informed me I was not the right candidate. Also, during the interview, I felt this position did not match my background very well.

Patent Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Fenwick & West (San Francisco, CA) in October 2015.

Interview

Finished up my Ph.D. in Electrical Engineering, knew I wanted out of high tech. Stopped by F&W booth at my schools career fair.

They asked for some writing samples so I sent them my two most recent publications. A few weeks later I was invited to an onsite interview in SF/Mountain View. A few weeks later this was followed by a dinner with a partner and an associate in a region where they want to open a new office (this part is non-standard). A few weeks after that I was extended an offer.

I believe this process took a bit longer than normal due to logistics of expanding to a new area.

This interview is VERY different than any technical interview you will have. Work on your soft skills and behavioral answers. If you are getting invited for an onsite, they already believe you have the technical chops and are just trying to see if you are a good fit for the company.

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to go into IP after a PhD?   1 Answer
    • Do you think software should be patentable?   1 Answer
    • Do you have any prior experience with patents?   1 Answer
    • Do you know the patent process?   1 Answer

Patent Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Mountain View, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Fenwick & West (Mountain View, CA) in January 2015.

Interview

Phone interview with one of the Partners followed by on-site interview in their office with 6-7 people in a single day. You will be asked to explain why you want to work for a law firm. I met with the partners, associates and other professional staff that I would be working with. I was asked to explain why I am interested in a career in patent law.

Interview Questions

• What do you think about patentability of software?   1 Answer

Case Assistant Interview

Interview

Pretty Standard Interview. First round was a phone screen with a person in HR. Second round was with the paralegal manager in Mountain View. Final Round was 2 back to back interviews with people in the group I was working in.

Interview Questions

• How would you solve a technical issue without going to IT.   Answer Question