Foreign and Commonwealth Office Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Nov 3, 2018

3.1

Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Foreign and Commonwealth Office (New York, NY) in January 2014.

Interview

interveiw is very fair, they do a questionary by phone, from overseas, this mean its a fair and equal opportunity process, candidates are very fair classified by their skills, experience and ability, this means if you are the right person and qualified you could be confident of a positive selection

Interview Questions

• how do I manage difficult challenges   1 Answer

Negotiation

salaries are already set up, so you cannot negotiate it

Intern Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Foreign and Commonwealth Office in July 2015.

Interview

Sent in resume, received an email within 2 weeks, went into the office and interviewed. It was mostly situational questions. I was interviewed by two people, one who didn't work in the department. Worst part was that they took 3 weeks to get back to me with my rejection.

Business Development Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Foreign and Commonwealth Office (San Francisco, CA) in February 2017.

Interview

Pre-screened from Washington DC and kindly provided with an interview crib sheet. Received a friendly welcome and, as indicated, was asked a lengthy series of open-ended questions designed to dig into my background in quite a bit of depth. The panel of 3 seemed much more interested in sizing up my past interpersonal behavioral responses than whether I might be able to do the job advertised effectively. In fact the job itself was almost never discussed. Presumably getting to the interview stage means they are already convinced you can do the job. I suppose behavioral questions are par for the course if you will be representing government and meeting senior politicians/civil servants/diplomats. It took longer than they said to hear back and the message, though perfectly courteous, instructed me not to solicit feedback on the interview process.

Interview Questions

• Describe a situation from your last job where xyz happened? How did you handle it and why?   1 Answer

Business Development Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Foreign and Commonwealth Office (New York, NY) in July 2011.

Interview

applied online with cover letter, resume, recommendation. Was contacted by HR and asked various questions. After the phone interview i received opportunity to have a panel interview as well as an hour research assignment. The people were so friendly and really seemed to enjoy what they were doing. The office was in a great location.

Executive Officer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Foreign and Commonwealth Office (Atlanta, GA) in April 2012.

Interview

Very long time from start to finish. Phone pre-screening / interview, followed by 2 f2f interviews and then 3rd introductory interview/meeting. Each interview lasted about an hour. Written assessment after first f2f interview.

Interview Questions

• Tell us about a time where you had to think outside of the box   Answer Question

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Foreign and Commonwealth Office in February 2012.

Interview

Interviews are competency based. You should come prepared to answer questions (with succinct examples from your past work experience) related to: team work, adaptability/flexibility, management, policy delivery, ability to communicate and influence.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

I didn't negotiate. Knowing the inflexibility on wages/leave there would not have been a benefit to negotiating.

Vice Consul Public Diplomacy Interview

Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Foreign and Commonwealth Office (Houston, TX) in August 2008.

Interview

Was hired and worked on a special project. Most interesting.

Interview Questions

• Why I would change career to government position.   1 Answer

Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

The process took a week. I interviewed at Foreign and Commonwealth Office (New York, NY) in May 2010.

Interview

If you work at the Consulate, its most likely not what you'd imagined it to be when you applied. I interviewed for a manager position and during the course of the 3 person panel interview, I was constantly told that I would be performing menial tasks. Way to present the job! British are stereotyped as being cold and stand-offish and the interview did nothing but reconfirm this generalization.

At the end of the interview, I was asked to take a "skills" test. If you're testing my skills at obtruse scenarios, then I guess the test I was given fit the bill. Question: "The deputy counsel's wife calls you at 5 pm on a Friday night and says the power has gone out at their townhouse residence. She has already contacted an electrician who has not yet arrived They are hosting a reception gala at 7 pm that evening at their residence for 200 guests, most of whom are foreign dignitaries. What do you do?" Say whaaaa???? EXACTLY.

Also should mention interview was scheduled for 3pm and they kept me waiting until 3:45 pm. Imagine the impression you'd make arriving 45 minutes late. Just because I'm in the market for a job, doesn't mean that my time isn't valuable!

Interview Questions

• See above non-sensical question. Is there REALLY a categorically correct way to answer this?   Answer Question

Science and Innovation Officer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Foreign and Commonwealth Office (Los Angeles, CA) in May 2015.

Interview

One brief phone interview where I was offered the panel interview during. The panel consisted of three interviewers, one was the Deputy Director of Science and Innovation, the other was the head of Science and Innovation in LA, and the third was a public relations person. After that interview, I went to an interview with just the Head of Science and Innovation. I made the mistake of thinking it would be laid back but he still asked me Competency based questions which caught me off guard a bit. I felt like I floundered a bit but i was offered the job about a week later.

Interview Questions

• What is one obstacle you've faced at work that you had to overcome?   1 Answer
    • How would you be able to tell if a trip with a UK minster went well?   1 Answer
    • Discuss a time when you had to do something you didn't agree with.   1 Answer
    • How would you prepare for a Minister's arrival if you had six months to organize it?   1 Answer

Application

I applied online. The process took 5+ months. I interviewed at Foreign and Commonwealth Office.

Interview

The British Government uses "competency based" interviews, so you'll be expected to produce a short story for every "tell me about a time when you..." question. Make sure your story follows the STAR format. I also had to produce a timed writing sample in which I had to write an email response to a dissatisfied customer.

Negotiation

There is no negotiation. The salaries are posted with the job advert and you will either take it or leave it.