Foreign and Commonwealth Office Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Foreign and Commonwealth Office Interview Questions

Updated Apr 11, 2018

3.1

Anonymous Interview

Application

I applied through other source. I interviewed at Foreign and Commonwealth Office.

Interview

I applied online. Even though I easily met qualifications I was not given an interview. Received a rejection email about a week after the job posting closed. I am an older gentleman and I believe they only want younger staff after taking a look at their Holiday Card photo on their Facebook page. No equal employment opportunities here mate.

Interview Questions

• No questions for an older applicant with much life experience.   Answer Question

Trade and Investment Officer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Foreign and Commonwealth Office (San Francisco, CA) in April 2017.

Interview

External candidates come in for one 30-45 minute interview with a panel of 3 people. Asked about background, motivation for pursuing the opportunity and then competency based questions (tell about a time when you challenged your boss, lead a team, solved a problem creatively, etc).

There is no phone screen or second stage interview -- so it may be the case that only interview external candidates to tick the policy boxes when they have already have an internal candidate lined up to fill the role. However, in my experience, the panelists seemed to be considering all candidates equally.

Business Development Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Foreign and Commonwealth Office (San Francisco, CA) in February 2017.

Interview

Pre-screened from Washington DC and kindly provided with an interview crib sheet. Received a friendly welcome and, as indicated, was asked a lengthy series of open-ended questions designed to dig into my background in quite a bit of depth. The panel of 3 seemed much more interested in sizing up my past interpersonal behavioral responses than whether I might be able to do the job advertised effectively. In fact the job itself was almost never discussed. Presumably getting to the interview stage means they are already convinced you can do the job. I suppose behavioral questions are par for the course if you will be representing government and meeting senior politicians/civil servants/diplomats. It took longer than they said to hear back and the message, though perfectly courteous, instructed me not to solicit feedback on the interview process.

Interview Questions

• Describe a situation from your last job where xyz happened? How did you handle it and why?   1 Answer

Political Interview

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Foreign and Commonwealth Office (Washington, DC) in January 2016.

Interview

The interview starts off with three people. Each one is a "Head" of a specific department such as Asia, Defense, etc. They will ask questions that range from the classic "tell us about yourself," to how you managed your projects in the past. Be prepared to remember, in detail, what sort of projects you've done and how it relates to this position.

Trade and Investment Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Foreign and Commonwealth Office (Houston, TX) in September 2015.

Interview

I applied online. I don't remember how long it took from start to finish, but one i finished the interview I was contacted and given an offer within about a week. The interview itself was not bad. The building was very secure, and had multiple layers of security doors to get into the building. The interview itself was with three women who worked in the UKTI section. It was very informal and quite comfortable. We were in a smaller room with a sofa and comfortable chairs. All of the questions were behavioral questions and questions about my resume and experience. It was a comfortable experience and not intimidating at all. Quite enjoyable. I did not accept the internship because they do not pay their interns.

Interview Questions

• Please tell us about this specific position, and provide details about that position while you were with your last employer.   1 Answer

Intern Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Foreign and Commonwealth Office in July 2015.

Interview

Sent in resume, received an email within 2 weeks, went into the office and interviewed. It was mostly situational questions. I was interviewed by two people, one who didn't work in the department. Worst part was that they took 3 weeks to get back to me with my rejection.

Science and Innovation Officer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Foreign and Commonwealth Office (Los Angeles, CA) in May 2015.

Interview

One brief phone interview where I was offered the panel interview during. The panel consisted of three interviewers, one was the Deputy Director of Science and Innovation, the other was the head of Science and Innovation in LA, and the third was a public relations person. After that interview, I went to an interview with just the Head of Science and Innovation. I made the mistake of thinking it would be laid back but he still asked me Competency based questions which caught me off guard a bit. I felt like I floundered a bit but i was offered the job about a week later.

Interview Questions

• What is one obstacle you've faced at work that you had to overcome?   1 Answer
    • How would you be able to tell if a trip with a UK minster went well?   1 Answer
    • Discuss a time when you had to do something you didn't agree with.   1 Answer
    • How would you prepare for a Minister's arrival if you had six months to organize it?   1 Answer

Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Foreign and Commonwealth Office (Washington, DC).

Interview

Applied online and received a brief phone call interview with HR who later set up the in-person interview. Interview consisted of meeting with the two people the position would mainly work under - HR played very little role in the actual interview process. I had to complete a brief writing test on a computer. Overall, a professional interview experience.

Interview Questions

• What news channels and periodicals I read on a daily basis (mostly because I just was not expected this question for the position)?   Answer Question

Entry Level Positions: Consular Affairs Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Foreign and Commonwealth Office (Washington, DC) in March 2014.

Interview

Very cordial discussion with an HR employee. Most of the interview was based off my resume with some discussion on my classes and general views on my career path. Was a slight informational aspect to it, but mostly to find out more about me. She took lots of notes.

Interview Questions

• What is more important to you, the job or money?   1 Answer

Business Development Associate Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Foreign and Commonwealth Office (San Francisco, CA).

Interview

Hiring process is through the Embassy in Washington, your first contact will be a phone call from the HR department asking basic questions. Then an interview will be scheduled at the post you are applying for (there are 10 around the US). Typical questions for a BDA role will be economic development focused, event management, time management, and risk management.

Interview Questions

• If we hired you tomorrow, tell me how you would go about planning X event?   1 Answer

Negotiation

NO NEGOTIATION. The posted salary is final - it's government!