Foreign and Commonwealth Office Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Jul 18, 2018

3.1

Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Foreign and Commonwealth Office (New York, NY) in January 2014.

Interview

interveiw is very fair, they do a questionary by phone, from overseas, this mean its a fair and equal opportunity process, candidates are very fair classified by their skills, experience and ability, this means if you are the right person and qualified you could be confident of a positive selection

Interview Questions

• how do I manage difficult challenges   1 Answer

Negotiation

salaries are already set up, so you cannot negotiate it

Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Foreign and Commonwealth Office (Washington, DC).

Interview

Applied online and received a brief phone call interview with HR who later set up the in-person interview. Interview consisted of meeting with the two people the position would mainly work under - HR played very little role in the actual interview process. I had to complete a brief writing test on a computer. Overall, a professional interview experience.

Interview Questions

• What news channels and periodicals I read on a daily basis (mostly because I just was not expected this question for the position)?   Answer Question

Intern Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Foreign and Commonwealth Office in July 2015.

Interview

Sent in resume, received an email within 2 weeks, went into the office and interviewed. It was mostly situational questions. I was interviewed by two people, one who didn't work in the department. Worst part was that they took 3 weeks to get back to me with my rejection.

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Foreign and Commonwealth Office (San Francisco, CA).

Interview

Hiring process is through the Embassy in Washington, your first contact will be a phone call from the HR department asking basic questions. Then an interview will be scheduled at the post you are applying for (there are 10 around the US). Typical questions for a BDA role will be economic development focused, event management, time management, and risk management.

Interview Questions

• If we hired you tomorrow, tell me how you would go about planning X event?   1 Answer

Negotiation

NO NEGOTIATION. The posted salary is final - it's government!

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Foreign and Commonwealth Office (New York, NY) in July 2011.

Interview

applied online with cover letter, resume, recommendation. Was contacted by HR and asked various questions. After the phone interview i received opportunity to have a panel interview as well as an hour research assignment. The people were so friendly and really seemed to enjoy what they were doing. The office was in a great location.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Foreign and Commonwealth Office (San Francisco, CA) in February 2017.

Interview

Pre-screened from Washington DC and kindly provided with an interview crib sheet. Received a friendly welcome and, as indicated, was asked a lengthy series of open-ended questions designed to dig into my background in quite a bit of depth. The panel of 3 seemed much more interested in sizing up my past interpersonal behavioral responses than whether I might be able to do the job advertised effectively. In fact the job itself was almost never discussed. Presumably getting to the interview stage means they are already convinced you can do the job. I suppose behavioral questions are par for the course if you will be representing government and meeting senior politicians/civil servants/diplomats. It took longer than they said to hear back and the message, though perfectly courteous, instructed me not to solicit feedback on the interview process.

Interview Questions

• Describe a situation from your last job where xyz happened? How did you handle it and why?   1 Answer

Executive Officer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Foreign and Commonwealth Office (Atlanta, GA) in April 2012.

Interview

Very long time from start to finish. Phone pre-screening / interview, followed by 2 f2f interviews and then 3rd introductory interview/meeting. Each interview lasted about an hour. Written assessment after first f2f interview.

Interview Questions

• Tell us about a time where you had to think outside of the box   Answer Question

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Foreign and Commonwealth Office in February 2012.

Interview

Interviews are competency based. You should come prepared to answer questions (with succinct examples from your past work experience) related to: team work, adaptability/flexibility, management, policy delivery, ability to communicate and influence.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

I didn't negotiate. Knowing the inflexibility on wages/leave there would not have been a benefit to negotiating.

Security Interview

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Foreign and Commonwealth Office (Washington, DC) in December 2012.

Interview

Detailed, warm, friendly.

Vice Consul Public Diplomacy Interview

Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Foreign and Commonwealth Office (Houston, TX) in August 2008.

Interview

Was hired and worked on a special project. Most interesting.

Interview Questions

• Why I would change career to government position.   1 Answer