Foursquare Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Foursquare Interview Questions

Interviews at Foursquare

2.8

Corporate Position Interview

Interview

This is still a start-up attempting to integrate more formal procedures in their interview process. The process consisted of multiple phone screen interviews and multiple onsite interviews. Yes, very “thorough”. However, it was somewhat apparent from certain clues I picked up on that they already found who they felt was the right candidate for the role shortly after my initial onsite interview. However, it was also somewhat clear that they were forcing through a process where they still had to pick a handful of people for the final round regardless – even if they already more or less made up their mind. Understandable, and although I was overqualified for this particular position, I went along with it. I went through with the final round of interviews and could literally see from another carelessly left clue that I was likely the last fall back interview they needed to fill for the last round spot before making their final decision – which I figured was already made. I get that and still played along, but ultimately this was a complete waste of my time and I received an automated rejection shortly after – not from the internal recruiter's email who had been stringing me and I assume others along the whole time, but from a no-reply generic email address. If there is no longer any real interest in a candidate early on in the process, it would be wise not to waste their time as they did mine with a time consuming, drawn out process just for optics to make it seem like they have a structured corporate culture, which in my opinion based on my experience, they don’t. On a side note, one of the people I interviewed with blatantly lied to me about something in their background which was telling. Also, they were searching for the same role again only a few weeks after the position was no longer available. Seems to indicate to me they really don’t know what they are a doing.

Software Engineer Interview

Interview

1. Chatted with the recruiter about my background.
    2. Had phone interview with a software engineer. After a few warm up questions, the interviewer gave me two coding questions in the shared text editor. They were both tree questions and both not hard, but I could have done better. The interviewer sounded uninterested and was not very responsive.

Interview Questions

• background questions + tree questions   1 Answer
  3. Create your profile to get personalized information

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Foursquare (New York, NY) in April 2014.

Interview

I submitted my resume to their website. Then I got a call from the recruiter. I was scheduled a phone interview. After I passed the phone screen, I was asked onsite.

The onsite consists of four rounds. The questions were quite thought-provoking. The interviewers were also very professional and nice. They always gave me the right hint at the right time. With their help, I was able to get all the questions right. We also had a few nice conversations about their venue quality. The HR was also very responsive. He extended the offer to me the next day after the interview. Also, he was nice enough to organize a few chats between me and different team leaders after my interview.

In general, it was a very nice company. I can feel the passion of the software engineers. I wish their products will become really popular.

Interview Questions

• They ask me to design a spammer detection system. It is not straightforward.   1 Answer

I have more interesting places to go. So I decided to turn down their offer.

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Foursquare in April 2013.

Interview

It was a phone interview without online coding.
    The interviewer was nice. He asked two projects in my resume, one was Haoop Programming. Then he asked hashtable vs. hashap, malloc vs. new, process vs. thread, binary search. All kinds of concept questions. He also asked whether I knew Scala Programming Language.

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Foursquare in December 2015.

Interview

I applied for software engineer internship position online and contacted a recruiter. I had a nontechnical phone conversation with the engineering recruiter and then had two technical interviews on the phone. The interviewers where very friendly and guided me through out the interview. The interview was very routing, first talking about one of my projects and then 2 technical questions. See below for the topics of technical questions. One week after my last interview I have received an offer.

Interview Questions

• The first interview questions were on HashMaps, LinkedLists and Trees.
      The second one was concerned with sorting, scaliblity and improving the effectiveness of algorithm.   1 Answer

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Foursquare in June 2017.

Interview

Recruiter reached out and we had a good discussion over the phone, then was asked to complete a lengthy coding project assignment. I submitted the assignment within the given timeframe and didn't hear back until after I contacted them several weeks later. Received the standard rejection letter without specifying the reason why. Very disrespectful to the candidate's time since they didn't bother to provide any helpful feedback given the time spent on their assignment.

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Foursquare in July 2017.

Interview

I applied online on their company job board. A recruiter got back to me after 17 days informing me that he had reviewed my resume and wanted to set up a phone call. We discussed the opportunity over the phone. He told me that the next step would be taking a coding challenge. I had to send an answer to them within a week and I did just that. The coding challenge was of medium difficulty. I liked the type of questions asked. It showed they cared about more than just coding skills. There was focus on system design.

After submitting my answers, I did not hear back from them for 2 weeks. The finally told me that they didn't see a fit for me, which is fine. But asking me to take time out of my life to do their assignment whereas, they can't review the assignment in the same time? That doesn't seem fair. Overall, it didn't feel like a good use of my time.

Interview Questions

• Variation of summary range problem   1 Answer
    • Build a way to route url route paths to their respective function calls   1 Answer
    • Design a microservice within Foursquare (the specifications were given)   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 6 weeks. I interviewed at Foursquare (San Francisco, CA) in September 2017.

Interview

The interview process consists of recruiter screen, homework coding project, then an onsite.

The onsite consisted of 4 rounds:

1. Homework review, focussing on role/job-specific knowledge.
    2. Whiteboard coding, focussing on c.s. fundamentals (data-structures/algorithms).
    3. Systems design, focussing on distributed systems and data modeling.
    4. Manager round, focussing on my background, previous technical challenges, and culture fit.

Overall, it was a fairly standard interview process, typical of most tech companies. Everyone was friendly and very professional throughout the entire process. Foursquare was one of my more pleasant interviewing experiences during my job search.

Interview Questions

• Cannot disclose specific questions, but in general, coding challenges are equivalent to leetcode easy-to-medium difficulty.   1 Answer

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Foursquare.

Interview

They reached out to me and set up a basic phone screen interview with a recruiter and then sent a coding exercise. Heard nothing back, not even a rejection. Based on other interview reviews, sounds like ghosting candidates like this is pretty standard practice at Foursquare. Very unprofessional, would not recommend.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about your background.   1 Answer

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Foursquare.

Interview

Five sessions, each including my personal introduction and my questions for the interviewers. Three were with two interviewers. Questions on my take-home code exercise completed prior. Code in a text editor. Lunch with an engineer. Higher-level systems design on the whiteboard. Less-technical interview with a manager.

Interview Questions

• Sketch out a system for taking restaurant reservations (like OpenTable).   1 Answer