Foursquare Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Dec 7, 2017

2.9

Recruiting Coordinator Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Foursquare (New York, NY) in November 2017.

Interview

Started with a phone interview with a recruiter, followed by a take-home exercise, video interviews, and a final round onsite! The entire process spanned 3-4 weeks. One of the best interview experiences I've ever had for this role (everyone I spoke with and met was very personable and engaging!)

Software Engineer, IOS Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Foursquare (New York, NY) in October 2017.

Interview

Set up a phone call with the recruiter, he never called. Rescheduled, standard HR-type questions then a pretty simple take-home (they still use Objective-C, by the way). Then no response.

Interview Questions

• Given a list of check-ins with time intervals, find the gaps.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 6 weeks. I interviewed at Foursquare (San Francisco, CA) in September 2017.

Interview

The interview process consists of recruiter screen, homework coding project, then an onsite.

The onsite consisted of 4 rounds:

1. Homework review, focussing on role/job-specific knowledge.
    2. Whiteboard coding, focussing on c.s. fundamentals (data-structures/algorithms).
    3. Systems design, focussing on distributed systems and data modeling.
    4. Manager round, focussing on my background, previous technical challenges, and culture fit.

Overall, it was a fairly standard interview process, typical of most tech companies. Everyone was friendly and very professional throughout the entire process. Foursquare was one of my more pleasant interviewing experiences during my job search.

Interview Questions

• Cannot disclose specific questions, but in general, coding challenges are equivalent to leetcode easy-to-medium difficulty.   Answer Question

Enterprise Content Marketer Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Foursquare.

Interview

I got an email from Jessica (recruiter) saying she thought my experience and background was interesting. We set up a phone call and went over the role and a bit about the B2B side of FS. She said I'd do another phone call with the Head of B2B Marketing, and if that went well there'd be an assignment to showcase what I can do before coming in to interview face-to-face with the team.

I had the call with the Kendall, Head of B2B Marketing with basic questions like why Foursquare and what about this role interests me. But not too much about my background or savvy or questions testing my ability to succeed in this role. It was rather quick and I was surprised we didn't go more in-depth.

I was then emailed a few days later saying they went ahead and hired someone else who was "further along in the interview process" than I was. So I never got to do an assignment which was definitely disappointing. Apparently it was a timing issue, more so than a capability or experience issue.

Overall both Jessica and Kendall were nice and pleasant to speak with, and Jessica was good about staying on top of scheduling. It sounded like a great opportunity and I wish whoever got the ECM role the best of luck.

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Foursquare in July 2017.

Interview

I applied online on their company job board. A recruiter got back to me after 17 days informing me that he had reviewed my resume and wanted to set up a phone call. We discussed the opportunity over the phone. He told me that the next step would be taking a coding challenge. I had to send an answer to them within a week and I did just that. The coding challenge was of medium difficulty. I liked the type of questions asked. It showed they cared about more than just coding skills. There was focus on system design.

After submitting my answers, I did not hear back from them for 2 weeks. The finally told me that they didn't see a fit for me, which is fine. But asking me to take time out of my life to do their assignment whereas, they can't review the assignment in the same time? That doesn't seem fair. Overall, it didn't feel like a good use of my time.

Interview Questions

• Variation of summary range problem   Answer Question
    • Build a way to route url route paths to their respective function calls   Answer Question
    • Design a microservice within Foursquare (the specifications were given)   Answer Question

Senior Data Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Foursquare (New York, NY) in July 2017.

Interview

Take home test followed by 4 rounds of interview and lunch. They interview much like other big silicon valley companies with one exception. They have an interview with a manager in addition to multiple technical rounds. Also don't be fooled by the complicated multiple round interview process. It doesn't matter even if you do well. They really need you to have the skills mentioned on the job requirement and also the technologies they currently work on. The manager round was confusing to say the least.

Don't waste your time if you don't have exact match for the skills requirement. Also a single email rejection after spending days with the HR and a whole work day for interview. Not even a phone call to explain what went wrong.

Interview Questions

• Manager round: What do you like to work on? Wait for the follow up. So does that means you don't like to work on stuff that we are already working on?   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Foursquare in June 2017.

Interview

Recruiter reached out and we had a good discussion over the phone, then was asked to complete a lengthy coding project assignment. I submitted the assignment within the given timeframe and didn't hear back until after I contacted them several weeks later. Received the standard rejection letter without specifying the reason why. Very disrespectful to the candidate's time since they didn't bother to provide any helpful feedback given the time spent on their assignment.

Product Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Foursquare (New York, NY) in May 2017.

Interview

Interview Process was dragged out and it seemed as though the company was trying to hold on to all their options without letting other candidates know. The actual interview went well and people were nice. Follow up was awful since had to reach out to find out next steps each time.

Interview Questions

• Q: How would you encourage a team to deliver a particular feature by a particular date?   Answer Question

Support Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Foursquare (New York, NY).

Interview

Waited beyond my appointed time. The reception simply designates you to sit at the empty corner with chairs while you watch their bulletin advertisement on the wall. The room has opened window display showcasing their employees "focusing" on their laptops because of the modernized hip look of non-desk assigned workstations. The atmosphere gives a very arrogant vibe as people just walk by and your back literally faces the door of their entrance "realm." The recruiter comes out, calls your name and doesn't even bother with any pleasantry talk or even apologize for having me wait beyond the scheduled appointment time. I'm also certain she never introduced herself, I just assume she was the one that sent me the generic interview email. I'm directed to an odd displayed room to wait, finally a manager comes in, sits across me with her laptop typing away, it hasn't even left her possession for a second and not even so much a greeting from her as well. The manager's eyes are completely fixated on her screen typing away with every answer I give as she threw out questions. Then I was informed another manager I would be meeting, I patiently waited as I watched the people through the glass door casually pass by the door. Then appeared two ladies, one that seemed to come in from a coffee break sipping her drink while chatting to the other lady. The one drinking caught my attention because she was in dressed in all gothic black, a cloak-like outfit with a swinging long skirt and a baseball cap to top it off. The lady faces away from the girl and surprisingly makes her way into the room. I'm completely a gasp that this is the manager I'm supposed to meet. In comparison, I'm overly dressed against her Harry Potter style. Again, a lack of eye contact or greeting from her as she sipped her drink, threw questions out while clutching her notepad to write answers. Foursquare has set itself as a brand where employees there should be superstars and anyone they meet are "less than." So be aware of their community culture and how you're initially treated because that is the culture they transpire to be!

Site Reliability Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Foursquare (San Francisco, CA).

Interview

30min phone screen where general experience/skillsets/interests are discussed.

If you pass the phone screen, then you'll be sent a "take home" mini-project. It could be different now, but for me it was to set up a couple of web servers behind a load-balancing proxy (exposing specific endpoints and providing things such as ssh access), explaining how/why you did things the way you did. It should be drop-dead simple for anyone who's done DevOps/SRE, the point I think is to see how you approach and solve problems.

If you do well on the take home, you'll be asked to come in to their offices for a 3-5 hour panel interview where you'll spend roughly 1hr speaking with each person on the team. Topics covered are roughly: Linux fundamentals, programming, networking, systems design, and trouble-shooting. Basically, be prepared to answer questions spanning the spectrum from "describe what happens when you enter a URL in your browser?" to "how would you architect a service like Twitter and have it scale?"

Interview Questions

• Write some pseudo code to find and output prime numbers?   Answer Question