G-Research Interview Questions | Glassdoor

G-Research Interview Questions

Updated Aug 17, 2017

3.6

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Pasadena, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at G-Research (Pasadena, CA) in February 2016.

Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The first step is a 90-minute written test covering probability, statistics, basic finance, etc. I took this at a remote location. The exam is then scanned and transmitted to G-Research. If one passes the test, you move on to a phone interview and then potentially an in-person interview. I did not advance beyond the first step. It is certainly worthwhile to refresh one's knowledge, especially if years have passed since undergrad and you have not taken a test since then or early in grad school. If you don't, the test will probably be quite difficult.

Quantitative Research Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at G-Research in February 2015.

Interview

I applied through a recruiter, who told me that the hiring process involves 3 stages. The first one is a 90 min written test. You need to pass it to go further. I didn't. It took 2 months to arrange the interview. You need a lot of preparation for the test.

Interview Questions

• It was a 90 min written test (7 questions). They leave you in a meeting room alone and you cannot use textbooks or any auxiliary material. The questions cover basic topics, but they can become very difficult if you are not well prepared (in my case, I didn't refresh statistics and I didn't study portfolio management). You don't have too much time to think the answers (it is either you know or not). I highly recommend to prepare very well the test.

Questions about mathematics, statistics, probability, portfolio management, programing, and regressions.   1 Answer

Quantitative Researcher Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at G-Research.

Interview

I applied online on 21st July. Received preparation material on 26th July, which include probability theory, martingales (stopping times), Markov processes (gambling problems), ordinary least squares regression, estimation theory, modern portfolio theory (CAPM and APT) and C++ (operator overloading and backtracking); however, none of the links to the lecture notes worked. I contacted G-Research on 26th July via email and jobvite.com, and 11th August via phone to inquire about the progress of the application, yet no reply. As a result I made a fresh application on 17th August, hopefully this time I'll get a interview.

Interview Questions

• Probability theory, martingales (stopping times), Markov processes (gambling problems), ordinary least squares regression, estimation theory, modern portfolio theory (CAPM and APT) and C++ (operator overloading and backtracking)   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at G-Research (London, England (UK)).

Interview

Applied through a recruiter, got the appointment within a week. The first interview consists of a handwritten test, which I took at the G-Research offices in London. The sample questions posted on their website give a good idea of the areas covered, but most of the actual questions are easier. Still, the time limit is tight and it's necessary to prepare well. I spent too much time on easier questions and did not get a high enough score in the end. The overall atmosphere was very pleasant though.

Interview Questions

• I signed an NDA prohibiting from discussing the questions.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. I interviewed at G-Research (London, England (UK)) in July 2017.

Interview

Online test, followed by 2 on site interview sessions each consisting of 3 interviews of an hour each.

The online test was easier than similar tests I have taken at other companies, but seemed pitched fairly well to weed out weak applicants without making it unreasonably hard.

The first day of interviews were all with members of the team I applied for, and all almost exclusively technical.

The second day was a mixture of technical interviews and more qualitative interviews with senior staff.

Generally a well organised process.

Interview Questions

• Signed an NDA, but most of it is the kind of stuff you can prepare for by practising on hacker rank.   Answer Question

Software Developer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ weeks. I interviewed at G-Research.

Interview

I had the interviews remotely. While I found the problems interesting and fun doing the interviews remotely had its challenges and it can be harder to follow the interviewer through the online platform - I went through 5 different technical interviews and slipped at the very end of the last one partly due to this despite doing well with the previous 4. Was good interview experience for sure but there's no room for error in their process which after many interviews and doing it remotely can be difficult to achieve. Know your basic computer science definitely and get warmed up solving coding problems.

Quantitative Researcher Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at G-Research (London, England (UK)) in May 2017.

Interview

The process began with a 90 minute exam. I can't disclose the details of this. Working my way through the suggested reading material seemed to prepare me quite well for it though.

I was informed a few hours afterwards that I had passed, and was invited back for a series of interviews with some of the current quants. These were friendly and challenging. Surprisingly, I was asked nothing about programming or finance. Most of the interviews were structured around stats and probability brainteasers.

I received an email the following day letting me know that I wasn't being offered an internship. I sent a polite email thanking them for the opportunity and asking for some feedback from my interviews, but I got no response. I'm disappointed by this, given the amount of time I'd put into preparing for and taking part in the interview process.

Support Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at G-Research (London, England (UK)) in May 2017.

Interview

I can't disclose the details. They have invited me for an interview and then i have to email them several time to give me a specific date. I finally got the confirmation but with no address or no phone call. I found the address from their website and reach on time. There was a written test which covers questions related to system , networks etc. I was unable to find any question which directly relate to application support side. No surprise that I have failed the test and therefore can't progress for any 1 to 1 interview.

Tip: Do not apply directly from their website as you probably will be left like me in dark on what to expect in interview? Apply through a recruiter as he/ she will not only tell you the procedure but also will give you some mock questions.

IT Operations Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at G-Research (London, England (UK)) in April 2017.

Interview

Applied directly via their website, I was contacted via email 3 weeks later by their internal HR recruitment team, for a face to face which was expecting to take 3 hours.

On coming to the interview they took my phone and any personal effects while I did the test, I was placed in a very small room with a computer and had to answer around 60 questions within an hour which I passed, then there was three rounds of interviews, three different people from the team each one took turns for a 1 to 1, and came into the room for a 30-40 minute chat, going over the team and the role and what my experiences to date, all three were nice and easy to talk to.

I had been in the small room for over 2 hours and 40 minutes, after the last 1 to 1 had finished. I was left alone for over 15 minutes but no one else turned up, I think they had forgot about me, which was very rude and was sad because, I felt quite positive about the interviews and the people I met so far, I used the internal phone to call someone from HR so they could finish the interview. They said that they would be in contact in 2 to 3 days with feedback but they did not reach out again, and did not hear from them again, in turn made me feel why would i want to work for a company that treats people that way.

Interview Questions

G-Research Response

Apr 28, 2017 – Recruitment Marketing

Thanks for taking the time to write this review. We are sorry you were not happy with your interview experience. Please feel free to email us at recruitmentTeam@gresearch.co.uk so that we can... More

Quantitative Analyst Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at G-Research in March 2017.

Interview

Applied to G-Research and got a response the next day. First stage of the interview process was to sit a technical exam. Did well in the first section but not so well in the second one. If you have not done probability, stats and finance for a while, it's necessary to prepare very well, and they'll give you time to do so. I received an email that same day informing me that I had not been selected for the next round.