GQR Global Markets Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Interviews at GQR Global Markets

3.1

Sort:

Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at GQR Global Markets (Austin, TX) in March 2018.

Interview

30 minute phone screen with an in person follow up interview with Sarah the internal recruiter. Then subsequent interview with various department members and 20 minute presentation interview. Final interview with the office director. Sarah, the internal recruiter, is very helpful and informative in regards to walking you through the full process and description of the company and culture.

Interview Questions

• What are your primary motivations?   Answer Question
    • Would you rather be tasked with hiring one C-suite permanent role or 50 blue-collar contract roles?   1 Answer

Feb 7, 2019 – Talent Acquisition

Thank you for sharing your interview experience with our platform. We wish you continued success at GQR!

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at GQR Global Markets (New York, NY) in February 2018.

Interview

Presentation in front of two senior consultants. I had to prepare it ahead of time. The purpose was to see if I could teach them something. There was a question and answer period afterwords.

Interview Questions

• What do I hope to achieve from the job?   1 Answer

Mar 7, 2019 – Talent Acquisition

Thank you for sharing your interview experience with us.

Anonymous Employee in Santa Monica, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at GQR Global Markets (Santa Monica, CA) in April 2017.

Interview

Roughly 3 rounds. Phone screen from TA to figure out motivations, phone call with managers and in-person interview/presentation (sometimes broken up into 2 separate). Questions were all sales/motivation related being that recruitment is essentially sales. Asked about my technical background as well (dependent on team you join). Compared to the average process, this one was "harder" but more than anything they are testing commitment.

Interview Questions

GQR Global Markets Response

Oct 16, 2017 – GQR

Thanks so much for sharing your interview experience.

Our interview process is designed to help us glean as much information about our candidates and their motivations as possible. We hope you... More

Associate Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at GQR Global Markets in April 2017.

Interview

They try to sell the job by making it seem like they are looking for intelligent graduates who are extremely competitive and hardworking. It's BS. They are looking for robots who can tirelessly talk all day on the phone. If you graduated from a top tire university and have some level of intelligence you will feel like you are interviewed by people who are not even as smart or eloquent as you are. It was clear that people who interviewed me weren't deep thinkers and didn't have much valuable insights at all. When I was giving my presentation only two people were there and neither seemed interested in what I was saying. You don't need much intelligence to do the job or ace the interview. You just need to know what to say to demonstrate your understanding of the industry and the role. After my final round of interview I immediately know I didn't want the job. I had to pay $18 for parking for an interview where I didn't feel like I was shown enough respect as a candidate. If you are actually an ambitious graduate from a top-tire school. DO NOT BOTHER. It's not worth the time.

Interview Questions

• Why recruiting? How do you handle rejection? How do you handle pressure?   Answer Question

Oct 16, 2017 – GQR

Thank you for sharing your feedback - we are truly sorry to hear of this experience.

We value the work of our recent graduates, many of whom are earning promotions and establishing their own... More

Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at GQR Global Markets (Austin, TX) in February 2017.

Interview

Since they are just opening a location here in Austin, the majority of my interview process was done over the phone. I applied through HireAggies and received an email with a few questions to answer, and then I got a introductory call from a recruiter who asked me questions about myself and briefly explained the role with me. A few days later, I had some short calls with other people from GQR that would be moving to Austin, and they asked me a few questions about myself and why I thought this role would be a good fit for me. Next, I had to prepare a 15-20 minute presentation with a Q&A that followed. The presentation was to dive into my background and ambitions as well as express knowledge about GQR while showing I am a great fit. Also in the presentation I had to teach something to them in 5 minutes that I was an expert in. Lastly, I had a phone conversation with the CEO of the company. I really enjoyed every step of the process because it allowed me to really be sure that this was going to be a fit for both myself and for GQR because each of us took the time to really get to know each other past the basic, everyday interview questions.

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to work within recruitment & what other careers are you exploring – why?   Answer Question
    • Would you rather work 9-5 for $70k or 8-6 for $100k?   Answer Question
    • What do you think is going to be your biggest challenge working in recruitment?   Answer Question
    • What's your greatest personal or professional achievement to date?   Answer Question
    • What's the most important thing for you to get from your career?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at GQR Global Markets (New York, NY) in March 2017.

Interview

3 stage process which involved meeting various team leaders and giving a presentation. The presentation involved a 5 minute lesson and discussing your assets and how the firm operates.

Interview Questions

• What makes you a better recruiter than me?   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at GQR Global Markets (New York, NY) in February 2015.

Interview

One skype interview where I met three hiring managers. One in person interview where I met another three managers. A final meeting with the director as he has the final say in who is hired. They asked pretty basic questions because they want to get a feel for how you present yourself and the company to others.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at GQR Global Markets (New York, NY) in December 2016.

Interview

I applied through my universities requirement page and received an email with a few simple questions to answer soon after. The questions were pretty standards, like what I wanted to get out of my career and what your ideal compensation would be (this becomes important later). I responded to the email and was interviewed over the phone by the same HR manager two weeks later. After this, I was invited in to meet the heads of various departments and get interviewed by them one by one. This was difficult, but the questions were not unique. It was pretty run of the mill interview, but I did enjoy meeting all of them and felt that it did go well. They made it very clear that this was a compensation oriented company. They asked questions about recruitment but also seemed to be vetting my personality to see if I could work in this environment. They did have concerns with my resume and were upfront with their problems, which I did assuage. I seemed to click with all the hiring managers and was invited back for the presentation, which on paper seems to be the most difficult and unique part of the interview process.
     You are asked to prepare a presentation about yourself to the same hiring managers that answers 5 questions. I will not give away the questions but I will say that you really do have to think out of the box for you to stand out. These guys are good at what they do and they are expecting you to take a risk with this step of the interview. I spent a week thinking of what I would teach them before coming up with the idea. Every one of my friends who I asked about the idea said it was dumb or too risky but I proceeded anyways and it went over well. I did not necessarily teach them anything they didnt already know, but my idea was so out of the box and served as such an ice breaker and conveyed a lot about myself that it worked well and I was invited back to the final round of the interview process, which was with the head of the office.
    From the get go, this interview this interview did not go well, and there are many reasons for that. I had just finished my finals a few hours before the interview and was dead, so I was not able to convey the enthusiasm that worked so well in other interviews. But, more importantly, the big reason the interview didnt go well was because the boss did not believe that I was money motivated. This seemed to be a false assessment on his part, but I could not convince him otherwise. He asked very personal questions that I did have some problem with like "how do you pay for college", "how much do your parents make" and "what do your parents do with their money". I answered these questions honestly but I felt that they were in some violation of what the company needed to know to hire me and also gave me a very different impression then when I was meeting with the other hiring managers who talked about the camaraderie of the office, how they were learning every day, actually making a difference and the networks that they developed. This reputation was not held up in the interview with the boss. It seemed to me that he believed that, because my parents paid for my college tuition and that I didn’t have to work through college, that I was not money motivated and did not have the work ethic necessary to work at GQR. He told me this right as the interview ended, and while I did appreciate the honest feedback, I felt that he had made improper judgements on my personality and my background. His interview also had a totally different feel to that of the other ones and it seems like there was a real separation between what the hiring managers are looking for and what the boss is looking for.
    The final interview felt like a calloused conversation with an ex romantic partner that wanted nothing more than to leave the room and never see me again. I am not sure what it was but he just did not like me. I do not put it down to my interview skills, as I have been interviewed by people as cold as him that did warm up to me quickly. My experience with the boss really disappointed me when it came to GQR as he did not seem to espouse the values that everyone else did. If the interview process had ended after the presentation, I would have gotten the job, that I know.
    Just know that the nice yet competitive nature of GQR that has been presented to during the previous rounds seems like a sad farce as the head of the company is a much colder, much more money driven man. This last round because it certainly made me realize that I in the end was not compatible with the company and its values because, despite everything they say, GQR is simply money oriented. If that suits you, great, GQR is for you. Just know that, at the end of the day, they do not necessary care about your will to learn or your interpersonal skills, they just want you to make as much money as possible. I would hope there is more consistency with the interview process in the future.

Anonymous Employee in Santa Monica, CA

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at GQR Global Markets (Santa Monica, CA).

Interview

I found out about the position through my university's career fair. After a phone call from their internal recruiter, I was invited onsite for a Super Day. Essentially it was a series of face-to-face interviews with three of their VPs. Each of them headed up different industries, so the whole process was comprehensive and very informative in regards to the recruitment world.The interviews were fast-paced and they asked challenging questions, so I definitely needed to be quick on my feet.

I'm actually really glad I got to talk to three different team heads because it really helped me to understand the different spaces they work in and clarified why they call themselves market specialists. On top of that, I was able to get a better feel of the company culture and see where I would fit in. At the end, they asked me which team I liked best.

Overall, it was a great learning experience and I am extremely relieved that I prepared well beforehand.

Interview Questions

• How would you analyze the the trends in this particular market?   Answer Question

Associate Agent Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at GQR Global Markets (New York, NY) in April 2014.

Interview

There is a 3 step process: phone interview(screening), a 1:1 interview and then the final presentation to the team interview. The people that work there are extremely self absorbed, arrogant and mean. All they care about is manipulating clients for the money. Even if you manage to make it past all 3 don't even expect an email telling you didn't get the job. Very unprofessional and I'm sure they will all be out of a job soon.