Games Workshop Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Games Workshop Interview Questions

Updated Apr 23, 2017

2.9

Store Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Games Workshop.

Interview

Multiple phone conversations with hiring manager. This was followed by 2 skype interviews with one or more people. The questions where basic, they seemed more interested in games knowledge than sales knowledge. Core values promoted table top culture throughout the company. I had a difficult time with consistent communication but overall the experience was good

Anonymous Interview Candidate in North Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 weeks. I interviewed at Games Workshop (North Chicago, IL) in October 2016.

Interview

I wrote a letter and e-mailed it in and was contacted within a few days by a really friendly recruiter who just wanted to give me a brief run down of the job. He said they'd be going over cover letters and calling potential candidates at the beginning of the next week. It was a couple weeks later before someone called me (at 8pm) to set up a Skype interview the following Monday. The Skype interview seemed to go okay and I was told I'd be called on the following Friday and they'd let me know one way or another. I didn't hear back until the following Tuesday when I got a voicemail to call them back. I was hopeful that since they didn't just turn me down in my voicemail like most recruiters would do, that it was a good sign I'd get a second interview. I called back and left a message. It was few days before I was contacted again. After about a week of playing phone tag I was getting a little leery but thought maybe if that much effort was being made to actually speak with me that it was still a positive sign. But they just wanted to thank me for interviewing and said it "definitely wasn't a normal rejection and to please reapply if there were any openings in the future"
    Whatever that means...

I've been incredibly selective about what jobs I apply for when I relocated to Chicago and this job was something that really called to me. I thought I'd be really happy at it and do a good job. So of course I'm also disappointed, but that is something I can deal with and accept. The frustrating part is the unnecessary waste of time. The whole thing took well over a month. During this interview process I received 2 job offers which I turned down (not entirely because I was holding out for this job, but that did influence my decision a little, particularly on one of them). The fact that I was turning down jobs led me to stall my applications and wait to hear back, which was my choice, but there's still no reason it should take this long. Especially for a rejection.

Interview Questions

• What do you think will be the biggest challenge in this role?   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dallas, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Games Workshop (Dallas, TX) in April 2016.

Interview

This process lasted from March 5th, 2016 to May 3rd 2016 for an opening in New York. Sent my resume and the all important cover letter in early March. Was contacted about two weeks later for a Skype interview. Interview was scheduled mid workday so I had to take a half day. Interviewer was nice, early twenties, average questions. Seemed to like what I had to say. Was contacted a week later for second Skype interview with different recruiter, this time interview was scheduled for the end of the work day so I only had to miss a couple of hours work.

Second interview was a little more challenging. Upbeat fellow in his thirties. At this point I had a better Idea of what the job entailed and had done some research. Interviewer seemed very impressed with my answer. Told me I would be contacted within the weeks wether or not I would be scheduled for a face to face "final interview" he called me back within thirty minutes to let me know that they ha unanimously decided to move me forward in the process. I would be booked on a flight to Dallas to meet them in person. I walked away from this second experience feeling very confident that I had a good chance to be hired.

I ended up having two connecting flights with layovers in one day (four flights total) to make this interview possible. I left the house at 3:30 am to make a 6:30 flight from New York to Boston layover for an hour and a half then a four and half hour flight to Dallas. Arrived groggy and beat up but still feeling upbeat about experience, was picked up by both recruiters I had spoken to previously and taken out for a pleasant and quick lunch, no business was discussed. Then was brought to the offices where I was shown around briefly, interviewed briefly and then asked to give a demonstration on the game (which I had not had too many opportunities to learn) was assured that knowing the rules was not important for the exercise and was given more positive feedback. I was then told that my main interviewer was not in the office and another Skype interview would need to be scheduled "If they decided to go ahead with me" was then dropped off at the airport. Was at the airport a half hour when received a call from one of the recruiters letting me know that I "did great" and that they would be scheduling the next interview for me tomorrow. Two and half hour flight to north Carolina, hour layover, two hour flight home. Finally home around 1:30 am (22 hour day!) But things looked very good and I felt that this experience would likely pay off. Worth the two days I needed to take off of work to make this happen.

Interview was scheduled for two days later in late afternoon (didn't have to miss any work!) interviewer was very brief made me feel like this was just a formality. Asked me no questions but invited me to ask my own questions which i did afterwards the brief interview was concluded and I walked away from it with overwhelming confidence that I would be made an offer. I was told that I would contacted no later than the following Wednesday with their decision. All in all I'd say that performed well and that they led me to believe that they believed I was a good fit.

I was contacted the following Tuesday by a secretary who briefly told me that I would be hired and they are "Starting fresh with a new group of applicants." I have attempted to reach out for feedback as I am still confused where the process went bad, but they have been given no response. It's always a let down to be this far into an interview process and get dropped from consideration, but the time commitment as well as the overwhelming feeling that I was sugar-coated and misled left me with a bad taste in my mouth the whole of this experience.

My Feedback to Games Workshop is to treat people's time a little better. This process did not need to span two months and I didn't have to miss three days work for it.

Interview Questions

• What were my plans on how to expand customer base in my market.   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sunrise, FL

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Games Workshop (Sunrise, FL) in March 2016.

Interview

Thirty minute Skype interview. They saved the "tell me about yourself" for last... it was awkward. The interviewer was very nice, though. It was set up like a one on one interview, but in the beginning of the call I think I saw a group of people sitting behind the computer as it was being turned to face the interviewer. The interview was actually pretty good...I'm just not good at them so all my ratings are average. For someone else I think that the first Games Workshop interview would be a breeze. Maybe 20 questions. I left the hardest one on here because the rest were mainly legal questions with a "can you travel every three months for company paid training" thrown in. They finished it off with "Did you do any research on the company before the interview, and do you have any questions for me?" Oh, there was no introduction. She never told me what her name was, in a hurry perhaps.

Interview Questions

• What are some of the challenges you think you'll face if you're selected for this position... and after i answered, they said - oh we'll train you for that... what's the next challenge you think you'll face?   1 Answer

Store Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Games Workshop in November 2015.

Interview

Going through the proper channels. The interview. Typical questions, I found the lady talking to me a bit monotone and cold, young and green behind the ears, wanting to explain her question she kind of cut me off. Now I have done recruiting also.
    Well the interview could of been better but went I thought alright, she replied with email my application is in process...
    I followed up and mentioned some ideas the company and I would be prepared to try if they would be interested (showing my interest etc as one does).
    Before this time I have made another contact recruiter within the company who does not see the wood for the trees, who also does not obviously read my profile and asks the questions that are staring him in his face.
    Well cut a long story short, I think after being too business mindset, they did not like someone like me prepared to actually give it some hammer have interest and make profit for them.
    Hence, keeping me in the void for a period of time and finally turning me down. Maybe better for me after all.
    A shame.

Interview Questions

• Why do you want this job and why you think we should pick you etc.....yawn.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Memphis, TN

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Games Workshop (Memphis, TN) in September 2015.

Interview

Was over the course of several month time frame. Had two phone interview, two skype interviews, and a face to face interview - as stressing as that is, try and maintain enthusiasm as it would appear if they select you, it's worth it. Stay patient.

Phone interviews were done very formally with standard questions; eligibility to work, age, consent to drug testing and background check. Second phone interview was more explaining what they were looking for and how to best proceed. Very simple yes/no, and follow up questions.

Skype interviews, I had two, were a bit more intensive but not very difficult. I thought I did well in answering the questions. They pose a lot of "how would you" and "what would you do if" questions. Answer truthfully. They're looking to see if you're a fit or not on a personality level, not if you're going to change the market place.

Face-to-face interview. This is where I blew it I believe. They fly you down to their office and you get to meet their awesome staff and see their warehouse and back end employee's. Everyone is very nice and they go out of their way to answer your questions. You then have the face-to-face with your recruiter and the head of the sales team. Sadly, I think this is where I went afoul - I was very exhausted (flying is NOT my thing, and my current job had me on edge and burned out) so I answered very shortly and did not impress. Again, they're looking for a good fit and someone with drive, and I believe I did not impress as I normally do. I think the right person could succeed if they're honest and are better motivated and not as worn out.

You get to ask managers questions, I suggest you do. Come prepared and have questions. If you do research on your own, like I did, re-ask the questions. I did not, and it may have affected my review. Also - and this is very important if you have any sort of ego - they will not tell you why you were rejected, just that they are moving on without your application. Do not take it personally, they are looking for someone with a personality that matches what they need/want, not everyone is going to fit the role.

Interview Questions

• Let's say you get the store, how will you make it yours?   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Bernardino, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Games Workshop (San Bernardino, CA) in September 2014.

Interview

They require a letter with your resume when you apply online. I sent a real, straight forward letter about myself, my past and why I thought I would be a good fit for the position. I normally wouldn't have even applied, but the requested "letter" made me think this was a company that I might be a good fit for it even though I hadn't worked in retail management in over 8 years and the salary was way below my normal rate of pay.

So first, I got a screening call. They asked if I would be able to travel every three months to Tennessee for training and for the initial training. Then, after I passed their "screening" a Skype interview was scheduled about a week in advance. The first Skype interview went really well. There were two interviewers. Both were friendly and didn't ask anything out of the ordinary. Both understood I did not participate in the Hobby, they both understood that my son and husband did. They explained that if I was to go forward, they would contact me the following week and let me know either way.

The following week, I was contacted and another Skype interview was scheduled for the following week. This one went awry. Again, two gentleman were the interviewers. This one was weird because it was like they simply needed to find a reason why I wasn't a good fit. He kept coming up with "challenges" that I would have. And honestly, nothing he mentioned I would have considered a challenge. Then, the focus was that I did not play. Well, I thought they wanted a store manager that could drive sales up and make their store successful. I thought they were looking for someone who excels in customer service. I have the proven ability to bring up sales. I think me not knowing and participating in the hobby is what did me in. But that is okay. I did my best. They did contact me the following week and let me know they were going forward with another candidate. I truly appreciated that.

Interview Questions

• So, since your last interview, what more do you know about the hobby? ( I am paraphrasing here)   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Virginia Beach, VA

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Games Workshop (Virginia Beach, VA) in February 2014.

Interview

I replied to an ad asking for a cover letter explaining why you wanted the job; resume was marked as optional. Obviously, if you want a position like this you need to write an excellent cover letter. I was called by a recruiter and I did two back to back interviews on skype a week later. I feel that I didn't get the job because this is in reality a sales position and as I did not have sales experience at the time I didn't have the absolute best answers to give. My advice to anyone reading this because they have an interview coming up or are applying is: 1. Write a very compelling cover letter concerning why you want the job and what you bring to the table. 2. Remember that this interview is NOT an analysis of your Warhammer fandom. If your familiar with the lore, the game, the products, etc. that is good but not what they arte looking for. Be ready for in depth sales questions and even some customer role-play.

Anonymous Employee in Cincinnati, OH

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Games Workshop (Cincinnati, OH) in November 2013.

Interview

You had to prove your ability to sell, take feedback, and follow direction. A willingness to think independently on your feet is absolutely necessary. Knowledge of this particular product is not necessary for this position. They were more interested if you knew how to run a business.

Interview Questions

• Come up with a sales pitch for an imaginary product after reading a handout for a few minutes.   1 Answer

Project Manager Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 9+ months. I interviewed at Games Workshop.

Interview

Expect multiple interviews as they are as concerned with "fit" as they are with knowledge and experience. Do your research about the company and use key words: niche market, passionate fans, vertically integrated.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time that you put the company's interests ahead of your own.   1 Answer

Negotiation

Don't be afraid to go high. They have great benefits but will pay for the right person.