Gensler Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Feb 16, 2017

2.7

Design Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Gensler (Boston, MA) in February 2017.

Interview

Online interview, only my webcam worked, so I looked at a blank screen while they could see me....
    They asked me to tell them about myself and then asked me typical interview questions about fit at the company and about my experience. Asked me to explain one project I had worked on. They asked to confirm that I was eligible to work in the US.

Interior Designer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Jersey City, NJ

Application

I interviewed at Gensler (Jersey City, NJ) in January 2017.

Interview

Online interview, webcam couldn't open, so nice.... I can only show my screen then.... they asked me to introduce myself, go through my portfolio, tell them if a certain rendering is done by myself or if it is a teamwork, and which program I used. They also asked me if I am interested in furniture selection and finish selection. Apparently they are more interested in someone with revit and sketchup experience, and someone who can do fancy representations. They didn't ask any strange question.
    I am actually working under H1-B visa, they didn't ask that at all, but I told them it myself, I don't even understand why I did that.....

-------------------------------------------------------------------

ok, update, I couldn't believe I was selected into the second round of interview, this time I was much more relax, confident, and what I said was much more organized, I felt I had a perfect interview. Guess what, I took the interview on Thursday, and got an E-mail started with "we are sorry, but...." on Friday afternoon.............terrific.....

But I won't blame them, I have to admit that I spent too much time on talking about details and CA experience, but they were actually looking for some one who is good at SD and representation.
    To be honest I have a fabulous school portfolio, full of big ideas, I didn't talk about my school portfolio because now when I am looking back I feel those hypothetical projects are too childish and not feasible.

Anyway, that E-mail ruined my weekend.

Interview Questions

• Are you interested in specifying furniture and finishes?
      Do you define yourself as a technical architect or a design architect?
      Where do you see yourself in 5 years?
      Answer Question

Job Captain Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Gensler (San Francisco, CA) in January 2017.

Interview

I applied via the website and was offered an interview about a month later since I applied. I interviewed at the San Francisco headquarter office. The recruiters were very helpful. I had an online technical difficulty regarding my application not submitted properly, they promptly emailed me back and guided me through the application process. I was offered an interview a week after.

I had 2 interviewers and it went really well. Both interviewers were mindful to my time, and fair through the entire interview. Other than the typical interview questions, they took the time to describe the company's structure and work culture. The interview was kept casual, yet insightful.

After the interview, the recruiter emailed back and let me know that the interview went well with both interviewers, it's just taking a little more than a week to be processed. I thought this was nice of the recruiter to keep me updated.

Interview Questions

• What's my goal, where do I see myself in 5 years?
      Specific questions regarding my portfolio.
      Answer Question

Studio Coordinator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Gensler (San Francisco, CA) in January 2017.

Interview

Applied via website. One week later got a call for a prelim screening interview with HR & Studio Coordinator. After that, was called in for an in-person interview with two Studio Coordinators. Overall very friendly and very casual process. If their interview process is in any way reflective of their company culture, I'm sure they're a fabulous company with which to work.

Interview Questions

• Mostly behavioral. Asked if I had experience calendaring, my comfort level in working with large personalities. Questions were less pointed and more conversational than in most other interviews. Asked what experience I have in organizing office events, travel, budgets, etc. Fairly standard.   Answer Question

Designer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a week. I interviewed at Gensler (New York, NY).

Interview

Casual setting--spoke with 2 employees, both very nice and welcoming. Felt more like a conversation than an interview which was nice

Hard to tell how well the interview went--meaning it was hard to read how they felt at the end of it, but it seemed to go smoothly

Interview Questions

• Explain a time in which you worked in a team for a project and what issues you had when doing so   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Gensler (New York, NY).

Interview

The interview went well and lasted about 40 minutes. It was a pleasant talk. They first asked me to go over my portfolio, then explained what kind of project they would put me on.

Designer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ months. I interviewed at Gensler.

Interview

I applied online on the Gensler Careers website. About a month later, I was contacted to set up an initial phone interview for the following week. That meeting was great, it was more conversational than interview like. Right after the call ended, I was set up for an in-person interview the next week. Again, that went well - the conversation was good and it was about an hour long. I was told I would be contacted soon for a job offer or not. That is where it went negative. I followed up several times with no response. I finally recieved a reply over a month after my interview that they will check my status. Another few weeks later, I had no response again so I assumed I was rejected. The interviews themselves were easy and enjoyable. However, the hiring process was lengthy and disorganized compared to others I went through, that took a total of 2-3 weeks. Unexpected of a company rated highly and unfair to interviewees.

Interview Questions

• Common questions - why do you want to work for us, what do you know about the company, etc.   Answer Question

Junior Designer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Gensler (Los Angeles, CA) in October 2016.

Interview

It was a swift process. I applied online and followed-up by email a week later. That week I was invited to interview. Staff was welcoming and kind. Gensler's office is beautiful, a designers dream.

Interview Questions

• What do you know about Gensler? Describe a typical day in your current role.   Answer Question

Corporate Paralegal Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 5+ weeks. I interviewed at Gensler (Los Angeles, CA) in August 2016.

Interview

Process took about a month and a half; three rounds of interviews. They skipped the initial HR phone call, but this ended up being a mistake all around. The HR person I was working with throughout the interview process was great, but the HR contact higher up who reached out to me after all the interviews were done was surprisingly unprofessional (flippant, sent an email to the wrong email address, left someone else's name at the end of my offer letter), and the offer I received was insultingly low. If this had been my initial experience, and they had stated upfront that my desired salary was too high, I would have withdrawn my application and saved everyone a lot of time.

Interview Questions

Gensler Response

Sep 15, 2016 – Gensler Response

Thank you for sharing feedback on your interview experience at Gensler. We appreciate your candor and will pass your comments along to the firm’s leadership. Gensler takes pride in making the ... More

Interior Designer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Gensler (Houston, TX) in August 2016.

Interview

The interview took a long time to set up because of availably and it was a while before I heard back their response. I contacted different people at Gensler to get the interview, and my resume was forwarded to the recruiter who set up the interview. The whole process took about a month. I interviewed with 3 different people, and they did tell me in the email before the interview took place. Afterwards, I even got a tour of the office.